Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this article by Stephen (gardenofeden):

How to grow peat free

Pretty powerful stuff. Pretty good alternatives, although I have not noticed some of those products in the US.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got my peat in a huge bale...itll last me a LONG time. my dad works for a wholesale nusery. he buys plants and re-sells them. he has a big..."barn" that has mountains of peat bales. any nursery that does that should have peat.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Moorland Gold, which is mentioned in CP30's link, was included in a price list I saw somewhere recently. Too bad I can't remember where. I use a fair amount of cocopeat (coir), but I agree it breaks down too quickly to be a perfect substitute for bog plants. But it's far superior for most horticultural uses.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be that it is too early in the season for H.D., Lowes, etc.... to have brought it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can't be too early. They'll be putting out the Christmas stuff pretty soon.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But seriously, if you're in the north, they may not have stocked the garden section yet, because that's a normally stocked product. Maybe call and ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grow your own

If you can remember Victory Gardens then maybe growing your own is the way to go!! For CP growers the amount needed is infinitessimal compared to the amount that is marketed today.
    What is not known is an easy way to grow it so that you can produce a viable harvest and yet be able to continue the plot. I know that I have a bog of sphagnum going but that came in a bale and I stuck it on top of a peat moss base in the growing tub.
    Currently I am trying just live sphag fibers in a drinking cup to see how it does. I also have a larger amount in a large cottage cheese type container.
    The mosses are growing but I had not even thought of trying to farm it.
    Is anyone else growing their own for use on their carns??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just didn't find any peat por sale over here. Only mixes for orchids and stuff like that, when there was peat it already was fertilized. The only place was a private grower that orders fair amounts of peat and then himself does the mixes for his plants. He was nice to give me some peat and invited me to return when I needed more But I don't have lots of plants like some of you do. Btw anyone knows this brand of peat? Here goes some pics of the bag:

English and french description:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12