Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peat?

this may seem weird, but for the life of me i can't find a place that sells peat. its driving me crazy and i desparately have to do some repotting. i've tried bachmans, home depot, and a local nursery, but none of those have any. can anyone think of some other places to try?
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking outside with the mulches? That's where I get mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

HomeDepot SHOULD have it. You can also try Wal-Mart, Target, and Lowes.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bad time of the year to find growing materials to begin with. The Home Depots near me have been out of peat for a few weeks. And seedling pots and stuff like that have been flying off the shelves like crazy.

I think peat inventories are down because of the upcoming ban on peat usage in Europe and the European market is grabbing as much as they can before that takes effect.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banning peat usage? Lmao, surely they can't ban buying all peat can they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a ban as a good thing. It's mined in a completely unsustainable way, with a lot of collateral damage. But I wonder how the amount mined for horticultural use compares with the amount mined for energy use. I can't imagine burning being banned. At least not in Ireland

Most horticultural peat is used for things it's perfectly unsuitable for, but huge amounts are used because it's a bit cheaper than the alternatives. It absolutely doesn't belong in container plantings where it'll be subject to drying because it shrinks and becomes hydrophobic. But that's where megatons of it are used anyway. Places like HD & Lowes sell it as a soil amendment for lawns, another use it really sucks at. CP growers are among the rare people who use it for something it excels at.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You likely would have a hard time banning the sale and or use of it, but banning the mines wouldn't be too hard, they PRETTY obvious, not like a stand of pot plants in a field say, you can see peat mines from a LONG way up, and it WOULD be a good thing if there were more peat conservation- it's sort of funny that can be so caught up in conserving CPs but can't understand the rationale behind conserving the source of the medium most of us use to grow them in
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All we have to do is put some LFS in a blender and it's a good substitute. Too bad it's not as easy to buy LFS by the bale like it is peat lmao.

I can't imagine people burning peat. But I guess it's not that different from coal. I think coal comes from peat.

LFS>peat>coal>greenhouse gasses>X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast