What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody watching American Idol?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
Sanjia is still going strong. Again he is not even in the bottom 3.

:banana2:

I only saw the beginning and the end of tonights episode, but I didn't think anyone was any good; at least nothing special or something I haven't seen at a high school variety show. They didn't even know the words to the first song!

xvart.

Why do they have the one that was just booted off sing the song that got them booted off? I mean, they're already upset. Why put them through that?

Because it's reality TV and we as the audience are cold hearted and like to see people upset :)

If reality TV had no sadness or losers or fighting. I for one would NEVER watch it.

GO TO OPRAH GO TO OPRAH GO TO OPRAH!

I missed it too. But I read Haley got the boot. I'm glad. I didn't like her at all. She strikes me more as a lounge singer.

Although Melinda and LaKisha have fantastic voices, I think the one who should win is Jordin. She has a great voice and is young enough to fit better into the "pop idol" role.

No more Sanjaya! Yay!!!! But why in the world has Lakisha fallen to the bottom? That is bogus!

Go Sanjaya...go Sanjaya....GONE Sanjaya! Yay! He's a cute, nice kid...but he needed to go. Yeah, I was surprised that Lakisha and Blake were in the bottom 3.

Blake should NOT have been in the bottom 3. He sounded great. Lakisha was ok and Sanjaya.... well we wont talk about that. HE'S FINALLY GONE!!!! It has gotten to the point now, the people who sound bad will be in the bottom three. It doesn't really matter about favorites anymore. I agree with PAK, Jordin is good. I also like Malinda and Blake. The rest just don't stand up to them anymore.

I am NOT happy with Lakisha being voted off! And I am also not happy with Melinda being dumped as well. Why in the world is Blake still in the competition? All I can say is that Jordin better win. She truly does have a good voice.

Melinda and LaKisha both have awsome voices but they lack the appeal of "an american idol." I think they will have good careers...look at Jennifer Hudson who didn't win. I think Jordin is young and talented and has a better chance at what American Idol is looking for. She's only 17 and has lots of room to grow and improve. Blake is OK but I can't see him being another Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood. After all, American Idol is a money machine primarily. And it is the BUYING public that votes. I hope Jordin wins...she's improved the most.

I've noticed that the "losers" fom previous years have been tendered recording contracts and have been successul. All that exposure was worth the while for them and being an Idol winner doesn' necessarily guarantee success. It's a lot like being a Heisman Trophy winner.

I hope Blake wins, so Jordan can flourish. Idol would more than likely stifle her talents. A partial example of ths, is the three runners up last year. They have all surpassed Hicks. 'Specially Daughtry.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Jordin will win. At least that's the way the judges seem to be leaning. Definitely, Jordin is the better singer and Blake is the better entertainer and more creative. What is America wanting? I feel bad for both Melinda and Lakisha.

I've never understood why people blame "American Idol" when talented people lose on the show. They don't control the voting...the public does. So when a good performer gets booted...blame the public who often votes by different criteria than talent. AI has always had very talented singers lose. The ultimate contest end is not the top 3-4-5...its the top ONE. So it just has to be that way. AI has launched many artistic careers outside of the winner and I think all of the contestants should be grateful for the experiences and the shot for commercial success they get. Shoot...just getting to meet all the entertainment icons should be worth it alone. Not to mention the friends they make in the process.

AI is a commercial business...they are out to make money. And the general public has always loved talent contests so its a winner on both ends. I like AI because I LOVE music and like seeing the talent that's out there across the country. Its just a fun show.

I think Jordin did great and I hope she wins. She has a lot of talent and only being 17, she has a lot of room to grow. I like Blake but I don't think he deserves to win.

I watch it for the music as well. I'm a big fan of music. But that doesn't make it any less irritating when America votes off the more talented people to keep the "pretty people" on the show. I had Jordan picked to win from the time they were split into the top 12. I predicted a Jordan/Melinda Finale. While Blake seems like a nice guy, I really don't think he can sing that well. He isn't bad, but he definitely isn't that good (in my opinion).

Yeah...I been backing Jordin for a good while. And I totally agree with you about the "pretty people" but unfortunately that reflects what "music" has become today. Back in "my day," soloists and groups got popular because of their songs--MUSIC and lyrics. No one really cared if the singers were hotties or hunks (if they were, that was just gravy). Today, you have to get half naked and gyrate like Britney Spears and Madonna or combine dance routines with your songs. These things distract from the fact that they don't have that great a voice. Ever heard Madonna live without all the studio effects? She's not a strong vocalist...she's a "show."

Gimme a good vocalist behind a guitar or piano with a good song and I'm happy. Joni Mitchell didn't need to get half nekkid to sing for sell-out crowds. There are thankfully a lot of good musicians and singers out there who do their thing because they love it and its what they are driven to do and "looks" isn't a part of it.

It is sad indeed that looks play such a big role. With a few exceptioons, most people on the pop scene can't really sing all that well lol. However, with their listeners being mostly teens and preteens (I can say that I'm almost 21 now :D), it really isn't surprising that they are more relient on image. I like listening to a very wide variety of music, and about the purist form of music out right now is indie. Unless you want to go with classical or classical crossover (which I love). If you have some spare time, look up Terre Naomi on youtube. She is basically brilliant.

Back in "my day," soloists and groups got popular because of their songs--MUSIC and lyrics. No one really cared if the singers were hotties or hunks (if they were, that was just gravy).

LOL! What about Bobby Sherman? David Cassidy? Hey.... how 'bout Olivia Newton-John and Linda Ronstadt?

I just wish music would get out of its almost decade funk of slow, drippy love songs and return to rock and roll. Wake me up when they have something upbeat. Gosh I miss CCR and KC & Sunshine Band!

Back