What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody watching American Idol?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I never really got into it until this season. In my opinion, I think it's a tossup between Lakisha Jones & Melinda Doolittle. And why is Sanjaya still in the competition?

i just watch everytime i stumble upon it.

only star i remember was AJ gil or something like that

I watch it with my mom. It's pretty good this season.

"In my opinion, I think it's a tossup between Lakisha Jones & Melinda Doolittle. And why is Sanjaya still in the competition?"

i agree completely! LOL I couldn't believe the fact that they axed Sundance for Sanjaya!!!:censor:

I only watch it when they have all of the crappy people audition and then I don't care anymore.

I never really got into it until this season. In my opinion, I think it's a tossup between Lakisha Jones & Melinda Doolittle. And why is Sanjaya still in the competition?

My mother and my sister both watch it and those are their two favorites, actually. I personally only watch the auditions at the first of the season.

My mother and my sister both watch it and those are their two favorites, actually. I personally only watch the auditions at the first of the season.

The auditions are definitely the best. I usually only watch that much, but I kept going this year. HOW COULD YOU LIKE SANJAYA!!?!?!!? I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he's not that great of a singer, and I know he's got no chance against Lakisha or Melinda....???

I hate American Idol. Needless to say, I do not watch it.

xvart.

I love it. Its a great talent contest and I love music. So what's not to like. :) I think its cool to see what undiscovered talent is out there and what they can do with an opportunity to make it in the music industry.

LaKisha and Melinda are just amazing. But so is Jordin Sparks at 17. Personally I could see Jordin becoming a "star" moreso than the other two (she has age and looks on her side) and that's what AI is looking for.

There are some talented guys as well. I like Sligh and Chris who is a Virginian (go Chris!). I was crushed when Sundance got booted. But what I've heard is, Howard Stern is asking his listeners to call in and vote for the worst singer (Sanjaya) and that is why is he making it through each week.

That's why I hate Howard Stern. He plays with people's lives. Everything is a joke. Those contestants on AI are being given a rare chance to make it in the music industry, realize a dream. This is a HUGE opportunity that can change their lives. But no, Howard has to make funny and skew the results so that a deserving singer (who had no job and new little baby) gets kicked off while a contestant who is totally outclassed gets to stay in a hopeless bid to win. I HATE Howard Stern. He doesn't care who gets hurt with his "jokes." :censor: :rant:

On a side note, last year's third place contestant, Elliott Yamin, released his first album yesterday. He performed on Kelly & Regis yesterday morning and today will be here in Richmond autographing his CD at Circuit City. I'm sure its gonna be a mob scene there. If anyone hasn't seen him lately, he's had his teeth fixed and has a new look. He's quite good looking. :) He got picked on a lot last year for being ugly. But, no matter what he looks like, he has an amazing set of pipes AND he's a nice guy. Go Elliott! :D :clap:

I heard the Stern thing too PAK, I think your giving the X#$%% too much credit.

my problem with this show is that it's on television and not the radio. music today is too much about who looks good on MTV and not about the music itself. this isn't a talent show, it's a big popularity contest. video killed the radio star. where's that rant smiley.... ah! :rant:

MTV rarely plays music anymore. Only in the early morning when no normal people are awake.

It's all crappy reality shows like My Super Sweet 16 and The OC. And there's one about a crackhead having sex with prostitutes. Oh wait, that's VH1.

Flavor Flav wears that clock so he'll know when it's time to smoke some more crack.

FLAVOR FLAAAAAAV! I'll give him credit for one thing though, I did like that "911 is a joke in your town" song. I think he did that one.....

Hey, Sanjay was NOT the worst this week. Both people in the bottom two were worse that he was.

My wife and I like the beatboxer, the fat guy, chick with no neck (I think that's doolittle), really pretty girl with LOOOONG hair (think that's the 17 year old).

If you can't tell, I'm not so good with names...

my problem with this show is that it's on television and not the radio. music today is too much about who looks good on MTV and not about the music itself. this isn't a talent show, it's a big popularity contest. video killed the radio star. where's that rant smiley.... ah! :rant:

Yes, and the whole music industry is going down the tubes... Even faster thanks to the great talent contests such as American Idol. Everyone up there does not have music industry talent. They may have the talent to sing, but they all look and act the same, and all sing the same pop songs that they were handed on a piece of paper that some song writer gave them. I miss the days when bands and singers actually wrote their own songs... Now that was talent. But, those characters on American Idol certainly can sing well...

xvart.

I think Sanjaya was good enough to "go to Hollywood", but that's it. He is not in the same league as Brandon, the 2 Chrises, Blake, and the girls. His hair is the main attraction and that's very shallow. And who was that young teen they kept focusing on, with all that misplaced emotion? Was she a gimmick? A plant? I felt sorry for Brandon. He is truly talented. Too bad he obviously forgot a line in the song. Is it true that the ones that get voted off may still be apporached by producers and get recording contracts?

Yes, and the whole music industry is going down the tubes... Even faster thanks to the great talent contests such as American Idol. Everyone up there does not have music industry talent. They may have the talent to sing, but they all look and act the same, and all sing the same pop songs that they were handed on a piece of paper that some song writer gave them. I miss the days when bands and singers actually wrote their own songs... Now that was talent. But, those characters on American Idol certainly can sing well...

xvart.

its kinda sad that the music industry only works the ratings and cd sales. who cares if they play a 17 year old dingbat whose voice has been electronically altered. just as long as their company make the ratings and sales quota, then all is well.

its funny a lot of people nowadays would buy cds and would only listen to one song because the rest of the cd is just total cr@p. there are other great artists out there who are just totally awesome ie, tool, primus, oysterhead...but radio stations dont play their songs because they're not britney spears or the backstreet boys.

Well you can't expect a Marilyn Manson or a Crystal Method or some Christian rock band to be accepted. To be fair most (almost all...) Christian music sucks REALLY bad.

It's all about what the majority likes and the majority likes bubblegum pop, and on one occasion an obese man named after a sandwich.

I think your giving the X#$%% too much credit

Howard Stern has a HUUUUUGE following of very loyal fans. I know people that bought Sirius radio JUST because he moved over there. And a lot of the people who LIKE him and think his ridicule and cruelty is funny, would certainly think that would be "fun" to keep the worst person in the competion. Add to that the teeny bop vote and that's why Sanjay is STILL there. It is clear he isn't still in the competition because of TALENT. He has a nice voice; he is no where near the top vocalists there.

Even faster thanks to the great talent contests such as American Idol.

I don't think AI has such influence as to affect the entire music industry. AI is first and foremost a money-making entertainment program. As to whether they create a "star", that's hit or miss. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood have done well and others have done well in other venues like Broadway or movies. So if the producers make more money above and beyond the show itself with the winners, that's great but AI is in and of itself a money-making enterainment machine.

I just like seeing the "unknowns" perform because I like music in general.

PAK is right actually, my mom listens to Howard Stern everyday.

Really if he actually is affecting Sanjaya's presence then it's just making ONE person's walk off the show a little early. It's not really worth stressing about IMO.

I'm not stressing about it. lol I'm just saying Howard S. is an a-hole and Sanjaya has replaced other MUCH better singers. Its too bad. I enjoyed Sundance and was looking forward to his performances.

First of all, Pak , you are giving Howard too much credit with crediting him with Sanjaya not being voted off. I know how much you dislike him, even though you never listen to him.

Howrad did not start the bid to keep sanjaya in AI. There is a website call votefortheworst.com and howard talked about it. The website is trying to keep sanjaya in AI.

They have been doing this for a couple of years. Last year it was the boy with the injured throat. And before that it was president bush. LOL

Just because howard talked about it, he is credited with the whole thing.

Now for some math. Howard has about 4 million listeners. I may be off on that number.

I believe the person that got voted off this week had of 35 million votes. So how can you say it's Howard stern?

Yes I am one of those people that bought siruis because of howard, but I keep it because it has great music. Once you try sirius, you will never be able to listen to free radio again.

Now I'm going to get in my van and listen to my sirus radio on my way to a great spot near the beach to look for snakes as they come out of hibernation. I'll make a post about that tonight when I get home.

Later

Oh yeah don't forget to vote for sanjaya.

Back