User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glacier Water Dispensers… Safe for CP’s?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Glacier Water Dispensers… Safe for CP’s?

I always buy my drinking water from Glacier Water dispensers that are located outside grocery stores. I recently noticed that they have their filtration process labeled on the machine and it says that the water goes through reverse osmosis along with several other processes.
    Here is the process on their website:
    http://www.glacierwater.com/quality.htm

Does anyone use water from these machines to water their CP’s? If not, would you say (after looking at their water treatment process) that the water is safe for CP’s?
    Now, the cost of a gallon of water from the Glacier machine is $0.25. Since I started growing my CP’s I have been buying gallons of distilled water from Wal-Mart for $0.66 each plus a $0.06 CRV (California Refund Value) deposit. So it’s a total of $0.72 per gallon from Wal-Mart. It would save me a bit of money…

Thanks!

-Joel
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use their machine water all the time. Just look at the nutritional label on the front of the machine - 0% sodium - which means it is safe for your CPs. Also the little LED display by the coin slot shows the last date it was serviced. They service the machines once a week always on the same day of the week. So just fill up on the same day it was serviced and the filters should be fresh or at least not exhausted.

If your concerned about the ozone, just put some of it in another bottle with some air in it, cap it and shake it up. Oxygenating the water before hand helps a bit anyway.

So save your Wal-Mart bottles and fill 'em up at the Glacier machine.

In the long run it is probably cheaper (and certainly more convenient) to buy a home RO filter which I'm looking into.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By reporting it as 0% sodium, the company is just saying sodium is 4,999 ppm or less. I have no doubt it's far less. But RO doesn't taste very good and I'd wonder whether anything is added back to the water after filtration. I remember a town in Maine that obtained its water from a softwater lake and added "minerals" during its treatment process. It needed to add some to raise and buffer the pH, but added even more to improve the flavor.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the processing chart. Does it say any where anything is added?

This is California, the health food nut state. It's not going to sell unless it is sodium free. I have yet to see a bottle in any of the stores marked otherwise.

One of my friends who grows CPs tested it with his TDS meter and said it was safe.

Some of the news stations did exposés on the bottled water business in California and the dispensing machines rated amongst the highest for purity and cleanest bacteria-wise - provided the machines were well maintained.

There was a big stink because a lot of the bottled water were actually worse than the local tap water.

Since then the bottled water business has cleaned up their act and the machines and bottles get periodically tested.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TDS is the important thing. Do you remember what the number was? I'm not saying they'd be adding cyanide and cadmium, not intentionally, anyway. But a little calcite, gypsum, etc can improve it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RO doesnt taste good? I dunno where you get you water but the water that comes from my RO unit is the best water Ive ever drank... I keep a special 5 gallon cooler bottle just for drinking water that I fill off my RO all the time.

Before I got my RO I used the Glacier machine at my local grocery store for almost a year and none of my plants seemed to mind at all. As Not a Number said, they put the service date on the front of the machine so I tried to schedule my water purchases on those days.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried it lol. Tastes flat and... it tastes the most watery of waters I've ever had lol. I like a little added sodium in my drinking water, thanks lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Sounds good! I’ll start filling up at the machine on their service dates.

Thanks for the info and tips!
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast