Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For all you fossil gurus; a question

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not look like a Trilobite to me.

Here are some pics of ones that I have found.

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko89/O...trilobite.html

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko89/unknowntrilobite.htm

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you collect those rusty trilobites? Not the exactly spot, if you want to preserve it. Is it generally a rusty weathering rock or are just the fossils rusty?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fossil trilobites are actually not all that uncommon. And usually they are left in the rock they are found in. Since fossilization basically turns them into "rock", it would be difficult to separate the fossil from the surround matrix.

If I remember, what I can do is download your photos and pass them on to one of my rock club's fossil experts. I have his email addy so I can send him the pics and ask him if he knows what it is. He's quite good with fossil ID. He hunts fossils and has all kinds of cleaning equipment.

Actually now that I think about it, I could email Bob Simon. He is another one of our club members who is a commercial dinosaur hunter. He found the 3rd best example of a stegasaurus which was excavated 3-4 years ago and sent to Sweden for final cleaning and assembly. She has just returned to the U.S. and is now in the process of being marketed. Bob just uncovered part another large dinosaur--a 20-foot tail section and he is very excited about what he might find this summer digging this one.

Bob owns/runs Dinosaur Safari out in Shelle, Wyoming. You can make arrangements to go out and dig on his excavation site if hunting for dinosaur bones is something you've always wanted to do. His website is www.dinosaursafaris.com. Bob is a cool guy and people have a blast digging out there and usually find lots of stuff.

http://www.dinosaursafaris.com/test.html
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK,
    Thanks for the link, neat stuff there.

herenorthere,
    I will disclose the site because it is no longer there.
    You can read about it here:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/...wataragap.aspx

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...Bob is a fascinating guy. He really knows his dinos. I think it would be an awsome trip to go dig dinosaur bones. Right now, because of the new find, he wants people who really want to come out and help him dig the find. Its tedious labor but he loves it. He's spoken twice at our rock club. Fascinating slides and he brings in his bones. Anyone looking for a unique (not "VERY unique"...just "unique"... @ Schloaty... ) vacation should give it a try.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12