Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Rabies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the people who eat monkey brains in Asia?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people of Papua NG would eat the brains of their dead relatives. It was a ritual.

I hate to be ethnocentric but... well never mind. I wont' disrespect primitive people. It's not like they knew any better than to not eat the brains of their dead loved ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna have to email one of the FSU professors about both of those diseases, they are very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It worked for them for a long time, until someone got infected or had a mutation and then became a meal. A dead person is a lot of protein and, as some people say; waste not, want not. Many of the popular prion books have a chapter on that. It's kind of like when all the vampires died of AIDS. Or so said the World Weekly News back in the 80s. A once reliable lifestyle falls victim to change.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those were very wise words of enlightenment.
    thanks you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i for one hate prions...getting killed by a cyclic protein would make me really angry
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I understand it the shots are in the arm now.
    When my dad went in to get his rabies shots aftrer having been bitten (or so we suspected) they gave him several shots local to the wount (his bit toe- OUCH) and then one in the bum to top it all off. I think you go in for the initial one and there are two or three follow-ups.

i for one hate prions...getting killed by a cyclic protein would make me really angry
    lol! Beautifully put.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spongy encephalopathies are amazingly interesting. If you are really interested in them I highly recomend Deadly Feasts by Rhodes. Its well written and not too technical to understand. I think the worst part about spongy encephalopathies is the fact that you do not suffer dimentia but lose control of your muscles. This means the likely cause of death is starvation or dehydration which you are completely aware of the whole time. I also love the fact that you can be infected for over twenty years and not show any symptoms.

As for the spread of Kuru it was caused by the ritual consumption of dead relatives by women and children, who were the most likely to show Kuru. The cannibalism,like all cannibalism in people, was completely ritual as the amount of protein that a person would get from it was negligable as they would cannibalise one maybe two people a year. Though this assumption is wide spread in non anthropological circles. The ritual was believed to help the deceased continue to "live on in spirit" through their relatives.

JustLikeAPill, first you disrespected them by calling them primative as that puts a value judgement on differnt lifestyles. Non-westernized or non-industrialized is prefered. Secondly our culture partakes in many activies, like fragmenting families, that the Fore would find just as reprehensible as we find cannibalism.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast