What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMG! Rabies

Because I'm currently reading the Stephen King Novel, Cujo, I decided to do some research on rabies. I did my searches on wikipedia, google, home encyclopedias, and finally youtube.
that is where I found the most disturbing information and pictures/videos that truly shows me how horrible it is.
if you have a good strong stomach and would like to see rabies in action you can go to this link. However Be WARNED!!! This is very disturbing video footage of a child with rabies.

Mod note: WARNING, read the user's post before viewing this video. Potentially disturbing material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaG4pra9ySA

any thoughts or comments?

what about :puke: ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you say what it is BEFORE I watch it. I don't want to watch something REALLY disturbing.

It's a little kid age 3-5 with rabies. He's belted to a bed to protect those around him and he's going through the normal cycle of rabies

Yuk, I'm guessing you always die from rabies, right?

I've heard that everyone but one recorded survivor have died when infected by rabies, but I might be wrong.
Scary though...reminds me of the Exorsist

Very sad. I had a friend that lived on a farm and the found a rabid skunk in there horses pasture, they shot it but there horse ended up dead from it and the hole family had to get like long needles injected into there stomach many times. Very painful but i guess some people do survive.

Yeah, I just hope that i don't get it!!
If I were to, then I would ask that they put me down

there is a vaccine but it says in Wiki... after nurological things go wrong...death is eminent. that video just shows that humans DO contract it. you never hear of them getting it.
Alex

I strongly suggest that you only watch the movie if you intend to see what rabies exactly does to a human. I will be watching this thread closely to ensure it doesn't take a turn for the worst.

Huh? What?

A flame war over rabies?

That wasn't bad, but either way, would be depressing. Poor kid, I think hes saying if some one were to get mad and go up on a soap box saying hey they shouldn't post stuff about this JLAP.

I thought it was just sad, nothing really.

As curious as I am, I don't think I'm going to touch that video with a 30 foot pole...

I dunno if I could handle seeing a little kid going all spaztic from rabies... that is just beyond any of my strengths.

Yeah, rabies is pretty crazy. It's pretty much as close as you get to zombies in real life. People completely lose themselves and are pretty much slaves to the virus. You foam at the mouth and become violent, this helps a carrier pass on the virus. Pretty nuts, man. I'm sure some of you remember the rabies scare I had about a year back when my dad got in to a tussle with a racoon and had to get a bunch of rabies vaccine injections.

Also, I do believe that there's only one recorded case of a survivor. What they do is they put you in to a drug-induced coma dor the duration of the cycle and just wait for the virus to "burn out."

To prevent problems, I'll edit the original post to include a warning.

Potential viewers: What you see is a child strapped to a hospital bed. He's foaming at the mouth and making very strange movements, sounds, etc.

There's nothing inherently disgusting about the actual images, it's just that viewing this footage of a child gives a pretty disturbing emotional reaction.

Viewer discretion advised.

He's foaming at the mouth. Just like my friend Bob Sacamano.

xvart.

"My name is Bob! My name is Bob!"

am i the only one that didn't find that video disturbing at all?

Anyway, yeah theres a cure. Like someone else said, it involves multiple vaccinations in your stomach. If you get treatment fast enough, no one dies from rabies. Its like a venomous snake bite or syphylis...it'll kill you if you don't do anything about it

i didn't find it disturbing...

i'm still glad i live in england though, rabies isn't a problem here, as england is more or less a big island.

i'm also glad that i've been vaccinated against it

The shots aren't in the stomach anymore, so it's a far less painful experience. If you wait until the onset of symptoms, your chances for survival go to 1 in however many have contracted rabies. Very poor odds.

Back