What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to...

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was given a camera with a disk and was wondering if it is possible to temporarily download the camera's program onto someone else's computer and then copy that program onto my newly acquired jump drive and then connect the jump drive to a library computer, so I can upload pictures onto my Photobucket account. Doable?

It's doable as long as you know how to completely rip the program off the disk, the USB drive has enough space, the library computer will allow you install programs (not likely), and the library computer has a USB port you can use (also not likely).

Otherwise, yup.

But if the images you're uploading onto the USB drive are in a common format like .jpeg, .bmp, .gif, .png, etc I don't see why it's necessary to install the photo program on the library PC.

Chances are that you wont need to do anything with software at all. Windows XP, and to a lesser extent 98 have generic drivers that should be enough. You should be able to just plug the camera in to the computer and then go to "My Computer" and it'll show up as "Removable Media" or something to that extent. In the case of XP, it may even pop up a window asking you what you'd like to do with it.

If you get to that point it's just a matter of uploading the pictures (you may need to move the pictures to somewhere on the computer's harddrive, say, a folder on the desktop.)

As Est said, if their computers run XP and have a USB port that you can use, then it's as simple as plugging in the jump drive and transfering the pics to Photobucket. If their computers run Win98 though, you may be out of luck. The problem is the library may not allow you to load the drivers onto their computer. If you know the people at the library, you might have a chance but otherwise they are likely to treat it as a possible attempt to load a virus into their computers. My local library won't allow loading of personal software on to their computers.

Thanks... the fine folks at the libraries I use know me quite well these days. I'll have to ask. The pc's do have USB ports. I've been using them for the pictures that were generated by my friend's camera and downloaded to his computer and his flash drive. Perhaps this is simpler than I imagined.

Back