Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timing is critical in Art. Art is often time a statement about the soceity around its creator. I dont know this artists intention but I first thought it was commentary on the commodification of easter. Easter, the most critical holiday in the christian belief, has now become about chocolate bunnies and jelly beans. Just as christmas has become about Jesus being born from a fat man in a red suit. Also good Art is suposed to make you think not just be pretty or it becomes art.

Also Jesus likely wasnt black, he was likely a semitic person, which would not include most modern Isreali's as most of them are of European decent. He would look like what we think of as arab. This artists did a very western European version of Jesus in his sculpture so the Jesus made out of chocolate likely would have been white even though that would be incorrect.

I personally dont see what the bid deal is, though I do not consider myself a christian either, so that maybe why I see it as just a piece of Art.
    Last edited by ktulu; 03-31-2007 at 07:08 AM. Reason: I am an idiot again
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the Catholics are upset because they gave up chocolate for Lent. Heading further down that path, a chocolate Jesus could liven up communion:

Minister: "Take, eat; this is my body, which is broken for you."
    Man in congregation: "Ummm . . . could I have a bite of the arm instead? I'd rather not put that appendage in my mouth."
    Teen-age son: "I'll take it, that's my favorite part!"
    Man in congregation: "Oh, crap."
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO!!!!!! Whoo lmao. Thanks I needed that laugh lmao.

I've got no qualms with worshiping an Arabic looking/arabic/semitic/man. I suspect those rednecks who think all Arabs are terrorist will get huffy about it lmao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is evident that this guy created this statue on the eve of holy week to draw controversy and make his name known.
    But it's a depiction of the crucifixion - Easter week is the only time to unveil it!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rofl @ Bruce.

I don't see the big deal either. And it wouldn't be had some zealot not made an big stink over it.

Its just a piece of art and pretty amazing being made out of chocolate. I can imagine that was very difficult to work with. I saw some interviews with the artist. He said it was "my Sweet Jesus" or "my sweet Lord." He's actually a Catholic himself. Who cares if the loincloth was left off. If Jesus was a man, then I'm sure he had a penis. There are a gazillion pieces of fully nude art. I think Catholics have a lot more to worry about than a chocolate penis...such as all the pedophile priests that are molesting children. That sculputure is one just one of thousands of depictions of the cruxifiction of Christ.

Far too much of a hoopla being made of it IMHO.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

I just saw the chocolate Jesus on the news a couple seconds ago. The reporter said that they cancelled the exhibit and that the creator has been getting lots of offers to buy the sculpture- short segment.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta quote another Tom Waits song...
    "Well it's got to be a chocolate jesus to make me feel so good inside"
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more Jesus News but not chocolate... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/...obama_as_jesus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast