Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BEE's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, thats really cool!!

Almost makes me want to give it a try but I don't know if I have room for another hobby, CPs keep me pretty busy as it is.

Out of curiousity, would I be able to keep them in South Florida? Someone told me once that theres a risk of having africanized bees or something take over.

If that doesn't make sense, don't worry. I'm completely clueless when it comes to bees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, and their is a risk of Africanized bee's but if you are careful who you get the queen from. Heck im at risk, but not so much as you are. I know some people up north have gotten them but they were quickly destroyed, so they didn't become used to cool weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to tell the difference between africanized and the regular passive ones?

Will they just take over or do you have to start out with the wrong colony?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way to tell with africanized is when the colony gets bigger, thats when it gets very defensive.

All bees get defensive when they get larger but africanized bee's are insain, and they travel farther to get you, where EHB only fly like half a mile to chase you. AHB fly in miles, and half the hive usualy fallows, EHB uses significantly less bee's to chase you down. But with the way they look, no They are still Apis melifera just a different "race".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. Honey Bees. I'm petrified of Wasps, Bees, any type of em. Though, I'm usually scared of walking near flowers with Honey Bees at work, they only jump flower to flower even if my hand is right next to them. One time I had a Honey Bee crawl across my hand to get to another flower. I freaked out, but it had already gotten off my hand. Wasps are always getting in my house, so I kill them.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no reason to be scared of them. I use the simple rule of, if you don't bother them they won't bother you. I had a hornet land on my hand and all it did was start to clean its self. Also it scared away my little cousin Emily so it lands on her burger and started eating it. I soppose it would have been used for larvea in the nest because it was turned into a little ball then flew off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of honeybees. I guess it's my inner Republican's hatred of immigrants because I like wild bees and don't mind hornets and wasps very much. I can stand to have them land on me too, but I worry about being allergic because my father suddenly became allergic around my age.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no allerges and my dad is alergic to seafood and my mom is alergic of wasp/bee stings, also my bother is also alergic to dogs that shed witch he lost.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast