Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seeds! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes me smirk to read these posts. Here where I am in Fl. its already probably too late if your vegetable garden isn't already planted. We pretty much have to plant our vegetables in Feb. so they mature before the really hot weather comes. July and August are too hot for anything but okra (and nobody really likes okra), and then you can start the whole garden over. I was actually picking cucumbers up until December last year. By the way...frosts into late May - how can you people live in places like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buster1 View Post
    frosts into late May - how can you people live in places like that?
    temperatures in the summer so hot that it kills vegetables...how can you people live in places like THAT?
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you live without distinct seasons that tell you about earths cycles of life and rest?

Anyways, i guess i will have to hold off planting the salad crop this year.

It was going to be the best variety of plants ever! I mean, i have seeds of

Corn salad, celeriac (OMG YUM!), swiss chard, kale, Kohlrabi, chinese cabbage, lettuce, italian parsely, coriander (cilantro), basil, and others.

The perrenial salad burnet will save the day, though. Its my favorite anyway. Nutty favor with a slight taste of cucumber. MMM
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a sunny, south-facing wall outside where you can put a cold frame? I don't and it's one of my big regrets with this house. If you can't do that, just direct seed everything or plant them indoors, without lights, a week or two before you want to set them out. It's far from ideal for some of them, but it's better than nothing.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can and do direct sow, but several of these need a longer growing season than i can provide without a head start, and germination for several, atleast for me, has been notoriously erratic even in the best of conditions. I have never had celeriac and some others grow from seeds sown in the ground- for a couple that do grow, not enough so there are big gaps in the bed. Perhaps i am just unlucky.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I germinate a lot of things in pots before planting them out - for the better better germination. I don't have enough indoor lighting for everything I'd like to grow to some size before planting them out.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Finch, there are distinct seasons in Florida: hurricane season, tourist season, love bug season, etc.
    All kidding aside we have the same cycles as in the north. The deciduous leaves fall off of the trees, the birds migrate, the grass starts growing, the spring rains start....as far as I can tell the only difference is that we don't have 40 feet of snow to contend with all winter or the ridiculously cold temps that 90% of you try to escape by coming here. The tourist board released the figures for last year on Sunday - 48 million of you came to Orlando in 2006 (and made my commute longer I might add) and a total of 82 million visited the state.
    ps: where on earth do you get celeriac seeds? I've been looking for them for ages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha wow i'm jealous of all you people who can grow things like mango trees i make a killer mango salsa, i'd LOVE to have access to some really fresh tropical fruits and citrus...

wow, there are a lot of veggie gardeners here i was amazed to come back and find 3 pages!!! heheh for me, a vegetable garden is a perfect solution to three traits of mine: 1. love of plants, 2. love of cooking, and 3. lack of money- i get the best produce at the best time for a whole lot less than the farmer's market, and i don't have to drive anywhere

i cannot WAIT to get some fresh eggplant. it's amazing on shish kebabs, i like to string along zucchini, eggplant, sweet onion, and red bell pepper and grill it a nice long time until all the starches start to break down to sugar... MMMMMM. no seasoning needed, just a light brush with olive oil. i'm also dying to try my hand at making baba ghannouj (spelling? lord knows) which is a Middle Eastern roasted eggplant spread. they serve it at a mediterranean restaurant near where i live and i adore the stuff. also, my mom's specialty is fresh tomato and mozarella salad, which involves those ingredients plus balsamic vinegar, oil, onions and fresh basil... i'm planting both normal and purple basil this year so i'm curious to see how that works!

heheh sadly, i am most excited about my peas... the variety is called Peas-n-a-Pot and after my disastrous trellis experiment last year (thunderstorms + open deck = thrashed peas, anchored or not) i am very happy to grow a pea plant that does not need staking. i just hope they won't mind a slightly late planting, those need to be sown directly outdoors and i just don't have the materials at school. ah well... peas are pretty forgiving in my experience.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast