What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds! :D

FINALLY got my summer seed order today... trying to get an early start on my container garden this year! i have the moonflower seeds soaking overnight (they should have been in weeks ago... they take FOREVER to bloom where i live)... tomorrow they'll be the first to be planted!

other than my moonflowers, i'm putting cucumbers, eggplant, tomatoes, radishes, peas (yes peas! they made a container-variety pea! THRILLED!) and mesclun mix, as well as assorted herbs, in containers, and i'm going to clandestinely plant some zukes in my mom's front garden because there's no way on earth they can be tamed to containers. most of these will be purchased as plants from my local garden center but i figured i'd mess with seeds on a few weird varieties that i didn't feel like searching for... anybody know how early you can plant zucchini and cucumber indoors? i'm in zone 7 (borderline 6). i'm debating whether or not to germinate my basil inside as well... basil tends to get all drunken and wimpy if it gets too big in the transplant pots.

anyway... i was just excited, i had to share :) i've been waiting for these seeds for 2+ weeks now, i guess there's some added inspection/regulation/bureaucracy regarding seed transport across state borders?

anybody else starting garden seeds for this season?

I was returning home last weekend with packets of seeds, some picked myself from botanical gardens, to start in flats, to find that my mother had seen fit to occupy the entire spare shelfroom with the flats for girlscouts. She pointedly told me tat since i did not live there this time of year, i had no say in what goes on there. Of course that ignores the fact that i own the lights and shelfs in question. But its for girlscouts, not for her, so i cant really complain...

*sigh

you cant argue against a bunch of plants for girlscouts

That's why I'm gonna give all of my plants away when I go to college :)

I'd say it's fine to start things inside now. I'm not a farmer, though.

JLAP- i grow all my plants at college, i just don't have many ;) i have my own car here though and i move myself in an out at the beginning and end of the year, so it's my job to cram the plants (and the gerbil) into the car in lieu of somebody who would actually give me gas money... i'm strange like that. i managed to cram 10 moonflower pots into a windowsill germination tray, once those get going i guess i'll switch them out for the other plants. my parents will love me when i get home with a carload of plants ;)

Heather, you're a lot like me - tropical fish, gardening, and cp's. I never attempted a moonflower, but morning glories are one of my favorites, right up there with pansys and johnny jumpups and bearded iris and gladiolas and lily of the valley and crocus and roses and.... Also got into berries, dwarf fruit trees, and vegetables.

Whenever you get a yard, you should grow some brugmansia. The flowers are intoxicating and a foot long. Smell great at night.

Gardenia and Jasmine rock too. I like flowers that make you want to pass out, they are so strong.

Down here Ipomoea are roadside weeds :)

Are you sure they are Ipomaea and not that bindweed stuff?

Absolutely. Different leaves and flowers.

I know my morning glories :)

Isn't morning glory invasive?...Or is that just in Oregon?

Well.. I wouldn't call it invasive. Just a weed. Grows around barren patches of land and over fences and stuff. It's nice to look at. Nicer than a chain-link fence.

lol, I personally can't stand morning glory, it annoys me...but i like the fire cracker called Morning Glory, I could look at those all day.

They're pretty invasive around here. We put periwinkle in as ground cover to choke out the morning glories. Periwinkle is BEAUTIFUL in bloom when you have a carpet of it.

As a sign of spring for me, I have moved almost all of my plants into mini-bogs to go into the ground when it gets warm and stays warm. I also have a few "odd" ones to boot. There are my two orange trees that I started from seed as well as a mango and a couple other random plants. We have a ways yet to go before we can start the veggies. Mid-Late May around here. That's when the frosts start dying out.

I remember a few years ago when I grew eggplants. Eggplants are soo good in pasta. I also grew peppers, although I can't remeber what kind. Hey, you know what's good if your growing peppers. Just pick one, slice it open, and stuff it with a little cheese. It's kind of like a chile relleno. Wow, all this talk is making me hungry. I'm going to have make a veggie garden this year.

MMM eggplant! I like it fried or grilled after basting it with olive oil and sprinkling a little seasoning on it. My mom likes to grow jalapeños and stuff them with cheese and make poppers.

What I do is I fry up the egglpants with peppers and oinions, then I mix in some marinara sauce. After that I put it on the pasta with some parmesean(spelling?) I've heard that you can bread them but I still have yet to try that.

I can't grow an eggplant to save my life, but grow all the other important crops. My seeds all arrived a couple months ago and the potatoes & shallots arrived today. Since all the large sunny spots in my little yard have fruit trees & bushes, we grow vegetables in a community garden. So we can't plant until it's opened for the season and that could be a couple more weeks. But we've been starting seeds to be ready and my interest in CPs and orchids plummets this time of year as my attention turns to fruit and vegetable growing.

It makes me smirk to read these posts. Here where I am in Fl. its already probably too late if your vegetable garden isn't already planted. We pretty much have to plant our vegetables in Feb. so they mature before the really hot weather comes. July and August are too hot for anything but okra (and nobody really likes okra), and then you can start the whole garden over. I was actually picking cucumbers up until December last year. By the way...frosts into late May - how can you people live in places like that?

frosts into late May - how can you people live in places like that?

temperatures in the summer so hot that it kills vegetables...how can you people live in places like THAT?

How can you live without distinct seasons that tell you about earths cycles of life and rest?

Anyways, i guess i will have to hold off planting the salad crop this year.

It was going to be the best variety of plants ever! I mean, i have seeds of

Corn salad, celeriac (OMG YUM!), swiss chard, kale, Kohlrabi, chinese cabbage, lettuce, italian parsely, coriander (cilantro), basil, and others.

The perrenial salad burnet will save the day, though. Its my favorite anyway. Nutty favor with a slight taste of cucumber. MMM

Do you have a sunny, south-facing wall outside where you can put a cold frame? I don't and it's one of my big regrets with this house. If you can't do that, just direct seed everything or plant them indoors, without lights, a week or two before you want to set them out. It's far from ideal for some of them, but it's better than nothing.

Back