What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm really proud of myself. I beat nicotine!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Some of you know how I've quit smoking. I don't keep track of the days but I've gone over a month without any nicotine. For the first 3 days I used gum then decided to go cold turkey. Now I hardly ever think about cigarettes unless I see an ad or a nicotine gum commercial or a public ashtray. When I do see these things, I no longer want to smoke or want gum.

Well yesterday I found a cigarette in my bathroom (I used to smoke in the bathroom a lot) and I considered smoking it.. but I FLUSHED IT! I'm so happy about what I did. I consider myself a non-smoker now :)

I just wanted to let you guys know how I was doing. I'm SO happy about how i've finally quit because honestly, I didn't think I could. I really didn't want to end up on oxygen and die from COPD like my grandmother did.

My mother, who was up to 2 packs a day, quit shortly after I did and went cold turkey, too. My dad has quit for just over a year but still uses about 10 pieces of gum (40 mg's of nicotine, take) a day.

The SMELL in our house is a total change. Now it doesn't have an odor and before you could really tell we were a smoking family. I can breeth 10X better now. I already had asthma so smoking was extra bad for me. And like my mother said, no one wants to go to a doctor who smokes. Our health insurance rates went down, too.

Like I said, I don't count days so I'll round to a month. It's probably really a month and a half. At a pack ever 2 days, for 30 days, that's 300 cigarettes not smoked, and about 56 or so bucks saved.

That's great!!!!
I hope that I never start smoking for quite a bit of reasons.
I'm also glad that you stopped!!! I know quite a bit of people that have recently stopped and I know from second hand experience that it's not so easy.

Congratulations. I used to smoke now and then, but was one of those people who never got addicted. But my wife was a nicotine junkie for a long-time, a habit picked up from her father, and quitting was a tough battle for her. But she's been clean for maybe ten years now. I'm glad you're making the effort when young.

dude, congratulations.

it's so difficult to quit smoking. i used to smoke till i got sick one day. i was on my way to the TOOL concert and i was so excited. i kept smoking cigs after the other. i dont know what happened but i just started getting light headed, started having hot flashes, thought i couldnt breathe, i eventually threw up. i stopped smoking since then. ive noticed for the first week w/o cigs that i was antsy and pissy. i was angry at everyone and i just wanted to pummel anyone who talked to me.

im glad you've stopped smoking. not a lot of people can follow through. plus, many people dont realize how smoking messes the body up. i did a paper on COPD and how it affects our body systems for nursing class. i thought COPD was a disease that's a lot less serious than diabetes or HTN but it's actually worse. so, again, congratulations.

Thank you all. Nicotine sucks. It doesn't even give you a real buzz. And smoking is just calming the addiction. It sucks.

It's a worthless activity. After the initial craving left, it was pretty hard to break the habit of not lighting up and taking a drag. I felt like I should be doing something and didn't know what to do.

Withdrawal was hard, too. I'd want to bit my dads head off for chewing gum or blinking. Literally that's how angry I could get. I was like "Don't talk to me, don't speak to me, don't even be in the same room as me!!!!"

After I threw it in the toilet I peed on it lmao. I thought that was very symbolic :)

Awesome, good job Clint!
~Joe

Congratulations! I've talked to people who have tried quitting before and they all talk about how difficult it is. So....Be Proud!!!

Well done, dude. If smoking wasn't bad for you I would be a ravaging smoker! Despite what everyone tells you, smoking is cool. It just sucks that it's so dangerous.

Stay in school, kids!

xvart.

congrats, doesnt mean im going to stop. I know what its like though when I moved to ohio i was forced to quit, worst week of my life. I got over it and cravings got less worse, then it was a every now and the thing, now its more of an addiction thing im trying to SLOW down, not quit.

Congrats though i know what its like.

RE

Thats great :banana2: now you will have a extra decade or so of life,
breath better and save hundereds of dollars.

breath better and save hundereds of dollars.

So true. When my grandfather quit he put the money he would normally spend on smokes in a jar and quickly he had enough to buy a nice pool table, which he used all the time!

xvart.

Congratulations Clint! I am happy for you. I personally can’t handle the smell, and I often find myself holding my breath when walking near a person that is smoking.

Cheers to a longer life! :)

Congratulations! That's 56 bucks you can apply to a healthy addiction -- CPs.

Way to go Clint ! It's not an easy thing to do. Now you know that it can be done what else can stop you ? Nada !!

Congratulations Clint! I am happy for you. I personally can’t handle the smell, and I often find myself holding my breath when walking near a person that is smoking.

Cheers to a longer life! :)

Yeah... what he said! Actually, when I was ~15, I tried smoking. All I got out of it was a headache and a sore throat. Consequently, I never got addicted to it.

Way to go, Clint. It's probably one of the best things you've ever done for yourself and those close to you.

It was worse than quitting other things, for sure. Atleast for me.

congrats dude! my grandpa stopped back in january. he cant use patches or many other things because of his heart. all he does now is chew on cigars. i dont ever want to start. its not worth it and i dont hang out with the kids that do. besides i have 2 younger brothers that copy everything i do.
Alex

That's awesome Clint! I'm very proud of you! You have overcome a lot of bad things and that makes you a very strong person! Pat yourself on the back :) I also quit smoking cold turkey. I smoked for 4 years and now I've been clean for going on 4 years. It was hard, and I've heard that quitting smoking is harder to do than to quit drugs. Great job :boogie:

Congrats! I actually didn't even know you smoked. xD

I never touched the stuff I suspect it was because one time my Aunt gave me a cigarette when I was like.. 6 just to see what I'd do with it (as a joke) and I put the wrong end in my mouth and it tasted terrible so I threw it. It wasn't lit by the way, lol. I also used to pick them up and mutilate them when I got bored.. and the one I picked up was still hot and I got hot ash under my fingernail, it hurt for like a week. x_x That SUCKED.

But yeah congrats, lol.

Back