What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which CPs will hate their pots heating up?

Cindy

Staff member
I have a rack set up at the windowsill but is having a hard time deciding on what plants to put there. It will be filtered light throughout the day but the setting sun's light comes in at an angle from about 5pm-7pm. The area will definitely heat up to the 90s - imagine a stove house.

So far, I have got some mexican Pings doing fine there but would like to add some other plants. Which CPs should I avoid putting in such a place with a high chance of their pots getting overheated? Which CPs would mind the heat?

Thanks!

Darlingtonia certainly do not like warm roots.

Since the sun will be coming in at a low angle at those times perhaps you can shade just the pots. Maybe just a narrow strip of 50-75% shade cloth along the bottom few inches of the window.

Cephs too. Don't forget the somewhat cool roots. :)

I grew my cephs in ultralowland conditions and they grew great until I neglected to water them :(

Heli's would probably be a bad choice too..

I don't grow them, but wouldn't petiolaris-type Drosera be good for something like what you have set up there?? Some Sarrs don't seem to mind their roots/pots/trays getting pretty warm, too, but it sounds like you might not have enough light for them

P. grandiflora, luscitanica, and other temperate butterworts might struggle in the heat, along with what has been mentioned. I know that very other butterwort (Mexican, P. primuliflora) and every sundew (Australian, African) has been in the 90's for the summer when they were at the lab. Same with all my terrestrial utrics, VFT's, and Sarracenias.

Darlingtonia certainly do not like warm roots.

this isnt a hard fast rule...............i grew Darlingtonia in a black pot, in pure peat right next to the glass in a large south facing picture window that was not shaded by anything........it thrived for over 2 years till i moved it................im guessing its roots regularly saw 95 degrees in the day during the summer..................i would LOVE to get this clone again...........

in general avoid temperate plants.....................Mexi pings, South African Drosera, alot of Aussie Drosera should do well.............might not look their best if it gets really warm but they will survive it just fine and have minimal problems............

I disagree about the temperate plants generelisation...I maintain Temperate Pinguicula inside a greenhouse in almost full sunlight and temperatures soar in there. I used to have grandiflora, grandiflora x fiorii and vallisneriifolia in there, and all did well. I have now moved grandiflora and grandiflora x fiorii out of there to make more room, but my vallisneriifolia is still in there and is growing very well. I also have Sarras and VFT's in there and they all thrive. Dont forget that a lot of these temperate plants grow in full sun in their native habitats where it can get pretty hot, e.g a lot of the Temperate Pinguicula of Europe grow on cliffs in full sun.

I disagree about the temperate plants generelisation...I maintain Temperate Pinguicula inside a greenhouse in almost full sunlight and temperatures soar in there. I used to have grandiflora, grandiflora x fiorii and vallisneriifolia in there, and all did well. I have now moved grandiflora and grandiflora x fiorii out of there to make more room, but my vallisneriifolia is still in there and is growing very well. I also have Sarras and VFT's in there and they all thrive. Dont forget that a lot of these temperate plants grow in full sun in their native habitats where it can get pretty hot, e.g a lot of the Temperate Pinguicula of Europe grow on cliffs in full sun.

true but in general they also like a dormancy which isnt the easiest to give in a window sill setting..............my temperate comment was due to dormancy issues more than temp tolerance..................to my mind if you want to grow plants on a windowsill your looking for year round growing and not stuff thats going to be dormant for 3- 5 months out of the year........my interpretation of the question that they were looking for tropical type plants

I would like to add that I live just one degree north of the equator. The windowsill where I am going to grow the plants may heat up to the high 90s. I am keeping my eyes on the Pings and three tiny pots of Cephs there.

One good indicator of light intensity is my P. "Sethos". It turns maroon when the light intensity is high. I am worried about the heat though. It is going to be a green house in a tropical climate. That's no joking matter. The plants could melt.

How about D. adelae? Would it do exceedingly well in such conditions?

I did think lowland Neps but the ones I have at my balcony which I would like to move to this rack are large plants.

If it could handle the heat, D.adelae might be alright there- NOT D.schizandra tho, my friend just cooked his with around the same conditions you have :D

Back