User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CPs will hate their pots heating up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which CPs will hate their pots heating up?

I have a rack set up at the windowsill but is having a hard time deciding on what plants to put there. It will be filtered light throughout the day but the setting sun's light comes in at an angle from about 5pm-7pm. The area will definitely heat up to the 90s - imagine a stove house.

So far, I have got some mexican Pings doing fine there but would like to add some other plants. Which CPs should I avoid putting in such a place with a high chance of their pots getting overheated? Which CPs would mind the heat?

Thanks!
    Cindy

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia certainly do not like warm roots.

Since the sun will be coming in at a low angle at those times perhaps you can shade just the pots. Maybe just a narrow strip of 50-75% shade cloth along the bottom few inches of the window.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephs too. Don't forget the somewhat cool roots.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew my cephs in ultralowland conditions and they grew great until I neglected to water them

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli's would probably be a bad choice too..

I don't grow them, but wouldn't petiolaris-type Drosera be good for something like what you have set up there?? Some Sarrs don't seem to mind their roots/pots/trays getting pretty warm, too, but it sounds like you might not have enough light for them
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. grandiflora, luscitanica, and other temperate butterworts might struggle in the heat, along with what has been mentioned. I know that very other butterwort (Mexican, P. primuliflora) and every sundew (Australian, African) has been in the 90's for the summer when they were at the lab. Same with all my terrestrial utrics, VFT's, and Sarracenias.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Darlingtonia certainly do not like warm roots.
    this isnt a hard fast rule...............i grew Darlingtonia in a black pot, in pure peat right next to the glass in a large south facing picture window that was not shaded by anything........it thrived for over 2 years till i moved it................im guessing its roots regularly saw 95 degrees in the day during the summer..................i would LOVE to get this clone again...........

in general avoid temperate plants.....................Mexi pings, South African Drosera, alot of Aussie Drosera should do well.............might not look their best if it gets really warm but they will survive it just fine and have minimal problems............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree about the temperate plants generelisation...I maintain Temperate Pinguicula inside a greenhouse in almost full sunlight and temperatures soar in there. I used to have grandiflora, grandiflora x fiorii and vallisneriifolia in there, and all did well. I have now moved grandiflora and grandiflora x fiorii out of there to make more room, but my vallisneriifolia is still in there and is growing very well. I also have Sarras and VFT's in there and they all thrive. Dont forget that a lot of these temperate plants grow in full sun in their native habitats where it can get pretty hot, e.g a lot of the Temperate Pinguicula of Europe grow on cliffs in full sun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast