Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noah View Post
    Format your hard drive and install Linux.

pretty much this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noah View Post
    Format your hard drive and install Linux.

The best part? Its FREE!! I initially was running both Windows XP and Ubuntu (linux), but the latter is so much better that I haven't used Windows in months.

Well, probably not what you were looking for, but that's my honest advice.

I haven't run Windows here in almost 8 years. I've been running Macs or linux. Main machine is a 2 year old PPC Mac Mini, runs 24/7. I also have a Macbook that I play with linux on too, mainly Ubuntu and Linux mint which REALLY rocks.

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set up a new HP Vista machine for someone,dual prossesor,4g ram can't remember all the specs but it was SSSLLLOOOOOW! My computer which has a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with 256MB of ram would boot up faster and load IE and other programs faster than the more powerful Vista machine!I was NOT impessed!Just my 2 cent's but I'm staying away from Vista.

Jerry

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm.... I didn't pay for this comp and I think my parents would get pissed if I started reformatting things and downloading other operating systems lmao.

I like vista I just wanted to rotate windows and use transparency. We're still trying to get our DSL straightened out. It's slow as Methuselah for some reason. The old computer was slow too, so now we know it's our connection and not the computer.

We did a diagnostic test and i can't remember the exact kbps but it was between DSL "lite" and "tier 1" DSL. So uhh... yeah the indian lady told us to call microsoft tomorrow. I think she wrote me off. We might have to have our ISP send someone out to our cabin.

EDIT: Ok, we got our ethernet connection up and going and it turns out my parents bought the wrong thing! It only has a half a gig of ram We gotta buy some card thing to upgrade it to a full gig, and our vista is home basic, and you need home premium or better for Windows Aero >: (

Ahh oh well. It's OK. I'm not going to make this mistake when I buy my laptop for college. Buying the wrong thing is never fun lol. I think I'll buy a sweet mac with OSX anyway lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo, bad luck.

To be honest, you're not missing much with the Flip 3D feature. They show it in all the commercials because it's 3D, but it is very gimmiky and of little use. It just puts all your windows in perspective and you scroll through like a merry-go-round. OS X has a similar feature, but it lays all your windows out so that you can pick what you want straight off instead of scrolling through.

The 'Aero' interface is nothing more than that and transparent title bars. Which are hardly ground breaking.

It's pretty much Win XP dragged into 2007.

Since you have the Home Basic version as well, I assume you've looked at the control panel. There's so much on there it takes you 10 minutes to find what you want.

Even nice features are spoilt by lack of thought. 'Gadgets' seem nice, but the gadget website is poorly laid out (and there are two for some unkown reason)

Microsoft Gadgets:
    http://microsoftgadgets.com/Gallery/
    http://gallery.live.com/default.aspx?l=1

Apple Widgets:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/
    Last edited by Alexis; 04-10-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 for about two months now and have to say I love it. If you have XP and your hardware is supported in Vista (run the vista compatibility test on M$) I'd recommend looking into Vista.

/begin Mac/Linux rampage
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Vista weekends and evenings at home, and OS X 10-5 at work.

WinXP felt really old fashioned after using the Mac all day, and I was quite impressed with Vista for the first week or so. But now I can see through it and am less impressed.

There are even Windows 95 blocky icons in the system files - that's appalling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aero feature was exciting for about 2 minutes. I will continue to use XP, though I really like OSX for macs.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast