What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. We just got a new computer (Flatscreens are niiiice) and vista came with it.

I'm up at the cabin right now, and our computer came pre-installed with vista aswell as coming with a vista upgrade disc. Can I use that disc to upgrade my PC to vista (curently xp) and home in Jasper?

Oh yeah and you know how on the commercials they rotate the windows in 3d? How do I do that? That's like the number one reason I wanted vista lmao. I have the home edition.

So far it's a very sexy operating system.... but they aren't kidding about security. There's TOO much!

I doubt it. They are getting pretty good about watching how many times and on what computer you're running a OS. Even XP is pretty good about watching that, I havn't played with vista... But I dont' think i'd attempt it.
Andrew

but they aren't kidding about security. There's TOO much!

Keeps it secure from you doing anything you want to while inviting anyone else in with open arms. Le sigh.

Andrew is probably correct. I never had a problem with XP (I think only a few versions do the call home thing,) but the Vista EULA is probably more harsh. Did I mention le sigh?

I dunno, I'm staying away with Vista for probably a very long time. :p

But I will agree as well with Est and Andy because most of the time when you have an OS (as well as a lot of other programs really), the license that comes with it is only for one computer.

I think you're better off with XP anyways. :p

For now at least... until they work out the kinks.

JustLikeAPill said:
We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips

Format your hard drive and install Linux.

JustLikeAPill said:
Oh yeah and you know how on the commercials they rotate the windows in 3d? How do I do that?

Once you have linux installed, install Beryl. It has that and many more slick functionalities. You can see a demo of it here. (the look and feel is all customizable - you can make your desktop look like anything between a mac and a pc).

The best part? Its FREE!! I initially was running both Windows XP and Ubuntu (linux), but the latter is so much better that I haven't used Windows in months.

Well, probably not what you were looking for, but that's my honest advice. :D

I doubt it. They are getting pretty good about watching how many times and on what computer you're running a OS. Even XP is pretty good about watching that, I havn't played with vista... But I dont' think i'd attempt it.
Andrew

Yeah, remember that story Ozzy told about his Microsoft Flight Simulator? I would imagine they are even more hardcore about Vista.

xvart.

Once you have linux installed, install Beryl. It has that and many more slick functionalities. You can see a demo of it here. (the look and feel is all customizable - you can make your desktop look like anything between a mac and a pc).

The best part? Its FREE!! I initially was running both Windows XP and Ubuntu (linux), but the latter is so much better that I haven't used Windows in months.

Thank you, Noah. I'm just glad that I wasn't the only person thinking this and that I don't always have to be the one to say it. haha

Incense, holy water and antivirus programs. A good third-party operator's manual is a real must too - it's kind of a pain to learn all the ins and outs of your operating system, but it will save you time and probably money in the long run. Vista addresses a lot of security flaws, but as I understand it you have to be fairly proactive to use them. You should do some research online or read the documentation that came with the computer to at least get some hints, but I think your best bet is to go to a big bookstore with a computer how-to section and browse through the Vista books until you find one that has the kind of information you're looking for. There's really nothing as valuable as a good manual when you're trying to work on a computer, just like any other machine.
noah's suggestion of Linux is actually a really, really good one - if you leave a clean Windows installation on your computer and run Linux most of the time for your everyday needs (internet services, word processing, media) you can use the Windows share to run games and things that need Windows specifically and just turn all the security on. You won't have to worry about it asking you to do insecure things if all you're doing is playing games and not accepting foriegn files and such. Linux is much easier and cheaper to use than Windows, once you get to know it. And better yet, most Linux resources (including good operating instructions) are free and available readily online. Knowledgeable Linux users are usually happy to help you learn if you seek them out.
~Joe

PS - Hey noah, have you heard of anyone compiling Beryl on a Mac? Trying to search the Beryl forum for installation tips but the search feature is limited for nonusers...

I haven't run Windows here in almost 8 years. I've been running Macs or linux. Main machine is a 2 year old PPC Mac Mini, runs 24/7. I also have a Macbook that I play with linux on too, mainly Ubuntu and Linux mint which REALLY rocks.

Tom

I set up a new HP Vista machine for someone,dual prossesor,4g ram can't remember all the specs but it was SSSLLLOOOOOW! My computer which has a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with 256MB of ram would boot up faster and load IE and other programs faster than the more powerful Vista machine!I was NOT impessed!Just my 2 cent's but I'm staying away from Vista.

Jerry

Umm.... I didn't pay for this comp and I think my parents would get pissed if I started reformatting things and downloading other operating systems lmao.

I like vista :) I just wanted to rotate windows and use transparency. We're still trying to get our DSL straightened out. It's slow as Methuselah for some reason. The old computer was slow too, so now we know it's our connection and not the computer.

We did a diagnostic test and i can't remember the exact kbps but it was between DSL "lite" and "tier 1" DSL. So uhh... yeah the indian lady told us to call microsoft tomorrow. I think she wrote me off. We might have to have our ISP send someone out to our cabin.

EDIT: Ok, we got our ethernet connection up and going and it turns out my parents bought the wrong thing! It only has a half a gig of ram :( We gotta buy some card thing to upgrade it to a full gig, and our vista is home basic, and you need home premium or better for Windows Aero >: (

Ahh oh well. It's OK. I'm not going to make this mistake when I buy my laptop for college. Buying the wrong thing is never fun lol. I think I'll buy a sweet mac with OSX anyway lol

Ooo, bad luck.

To be honest, you're not missing much with the Flip 3D feature. They show it in all the commercials because it's 3D, but it is very gimmiky and of little use. It just puts all your windows in perspective and you scroll through like a merry-go-round. OS X has a similar feature, but it lays all your windows out so that you can pick what you want straight off instead of scrolling through.

The 'Aero' interface is nothing more than that and transparent title bars. Which are hardly ground breaking.

It's pretty much Win XP dragged into 2007.

Since you have the Home Basic version as well, I assume you've looked at the control panel. There's so much on there it takes you 10 minutes to find what you want.

Even nice features are spoilt by lack of thought. 'Gadgets' seem nice, but the gadget website is poorly laid out (and there are two for some unkown reason)

Microsoft Gadgets:
http://microsoftgadgets.com/Gallery/
http://gallery.live.com/default.aspx?l=1

Apple Widgets:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

Last edited:
I've been running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 for about two months now and have to say I love it. If you have XP and your hardware is supported in Vista (run the vista compatibility test on M$) I'd recommend looking into Vista.

/begin Mac/Linux rampage

I use Vista weekends and evenings at home, and OS X 10-5 at work.

WinXP felt really old fashioned after using the Mac all day, and I was quite impressed with Vista for the first week or so. But now I can see through it and am less impressed.

There are even Windows 95 blocky icons in the system files - that's appalling.

The Aero feature was exciting for about 2 minutes. I will continue to use XP, though I really like OSX for macs.

It's pretty much Win XP dragged into 2007.

Harsh! I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Thank you for sharing what I was too polite to bring up, Alexis.
Clint, did you put antivirus software on it before you got it online? Take one of your parents to CompUSA or something, get yourself a good virus/spyware blocking suite and a Vista manual. I swear, it will save you rediculous amounts of time and frustration.
~Joe

We took the whole thing back and we're gonna get the right thing this time lmao. Atleast 1 gig ram.

I'll have to get the premium version because that's really all I wanted vista for lmao.

Isn't this computer going to live at the cabin? Or did I get that wrong?
~Joe

It sure is but they drag me up there on the weekends lol. I need it for school.

50 years ago I bet my grandparents never thought our cabin in the woods would have DSL and cable!

Back