Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips

Hey guys. We just got a new computer (Flatscreens are niiiice) and vista came with it.

I'm up at the cabin right now, and our computer came pre-installed with vista aswell as coming with a vista upgrade disc. Can I use that disc to upgrade my PC to vista (curently xp) and home in Jasper?

Oh yeah and you know how on the commercials they rotate the windows in 3d? How do I do that? That's like the number one reason I wanted vista lmao. I have the home edition.

So far it's a very sexy operating system.... but they aren't kidding about security. There's TOO much!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt it. They are getting pretty good about watching how many times and on what computer you're running a OS. Even XP is pretty good about watching that, I havn't played with vista... But I dont' think i'd attempt it.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    but they aren't kidding about security. There's TOO much!
    Keeps it secure from you doing anything you want to while inviting anyone else in with open arms. Le sigh.

Andrew is probably correct. I never had a problem with XP (I think only a few versions do the call home thing,) but the Vista EULA is probably more harsh. Did I mention le sigh?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, I'm staying away with Vista for probably a very long time. :P

But I will agree as well with Est and Andy because most of the time when you have an OS (as well as a lot of other programs really), the license that comes with it is only for one computer.

I think you're better off with XP anyways. :P

For now at least... until they work out the kinks.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill
    We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips
    Format your hard drive and install Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill
    Oh yeah and you know how on the commercials they rotate the windows in 3d? How do I do that?
    Once you have linux installed, install Beryl. It has that and many more slick functionalities. You can see a demo of it here. (the look and feel is all customizable - you can make your desktop look like anything between a mac and a pc).

The best part? Its FREE!! I initially was running both Windows XP and Ubuntu (linux), but the latter is so much better that I haven't used Windows in months.

Well, probably not what you were looking for, but that's my honest advice.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I doubt it. They are getting pretty good about watching how many times and on what computer you're running a OS. Even XP is pretty good about watching that, I havn't played with vista... But I dont' think i'd attempt it.
    Andrew
    Yeah, remember that story Ozzy told about his Microsoft Flight Simulator? I would imagine they are even more hardcore about Vista.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noah View Post
    Format your hard drive and install Linux.

Once you have linux installed, install Beryl. It has that and many more slick functionalities. You can see a demo of it here. (the look and feel is all customizable - you can make your desktop look like anything between a mac and a pc).

The best part? Its FREE!! I initially was running both Windows XP and Ubuntu (linux), but the latter is so much better that I haven't used Windows in months.

Well, probably not what you were looking for, but that's my honest advice.
    Thank you, Noah. I'm just glad that I wasn't the only person thinking this and that I don't always have to be the one to say it. haha
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incense, holy water and antivirus programs. A good third-party operator's manual is a real must too - it's kind of a pain to learn all the ins and outs of your operating system, but it will save you time and probably money in the long run. Vista addresses a lot of security flaws, but as I understand it you have to be fairly proactive to use them. You should do some research online or read the documentation that came with the computer to at least get some hints, but I think your best bet is to go to a big bookstore with a computer how-to section and browse through the Vista books until you find one that has the kind of information you're looking for. There's really nothing as valuable as a good manual when you're trying to work on a computer, just like any other machine.
    noah's suggestion of Linux is actually a really, really good one - if you leave a clean Windows installation on your computer and run Linux most of the time for your everyday needs (internet services, word processing, media) you can use the Windows share to run games and things that need Windows specifically and just turn all the security on. You won't have to worry about it asking you to do insecure things if all you're doing is playing games and not accepting foriegn files and such. Linux is much easier and cheaper to use than Windows, once you get to know it. And better yet, most Linux resources (including good operating instructions) are free and available readily online. Knowledgeable Linux users are usually happy to help you learn if you seek them out.
    ~Joe

PS - Hey noah, have you heard of anyone compiling Beryl on a Mac? Trying to search the Beryl forum for installation tips but the search feature is limited for nonusers...
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast