What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Bunnies found

a9543230.jpg

Well my dogs found them in the yard, they had two in their mouths, the other was in a nest i easily found. What should I do, I'm waiting for my mom to come home...

keep 'em warm. keep 'em fed. sell them to responsible adults after a few weeks. is their mom MIA?

did you call the vet? they might need shots or something.

aw!

We tried to raise baby bunnies our dog brought to us but they died.

Wow I'm a real downer!

better yet, be a surrogate mom for the bunnies (if your mom lets you). keep them until they're old enough to be on their own. then set them free in a forest preserve or something. just make sure that there are no hawks in the area.

googled it.

if they're injured you should probably contact a local vet, who might either take the animals in or direct you to a local wildlife rehab facility- it depends on the expertise and licensing of the doctors (i've worked in hospitals that have done both). definitely check dehydration like that site mentions, by tenting the skin and making sure it springs back... dehydration can set in quickly with fast little bunny metabolisms! you'll know it if they are dehydrated, the skin feels weird overall and it sticks to itself when tented.

if they're not injured/sick... anything i've ever heard said to leave uninjured bunnies in their nest and check on them later on to make sure the mother is returning to care for them (leave flour/fine dust in front of the nest and look for footprints the next day or so). depending on where you live there are all kinds of legal issues with rehabbing wildlife on your own... mostly out of public health concerns, wild animals have all kinds of fun diseases/critters.

good luck!

Ok, so My mom found a site that said to put them back about 10 feet from the nest. But the only possible way to put them back would be 40 feet + from the orginal nest. We went and got some Dry kitten supplement, and an eye dropper, and some liquid baby vitamins.

:love: Aww they are so cute! Why is it hard to get near the nest?

The nest isnt hard to get to, im just worried about the dogs getting to it, If the nest is moved more than 10 feet the mom wont find the babies, and the only safeest spot is some 40+ feet away.

I love it! My dad found a nest in the middle of his yard when I used to mow it, so I had to mow around them for quite a long time until they started wondering around spreading their joy on everyone else. It was funny because our backyard looked so good, except for the seven foot radius circle in the middle of the yard with insanely long grass! They are so cute!

xvart.

It reminds me when I was at my uncles with my dad and was about to go into the field and look for golf balls in it when he handed me 4 stray kittens. They were so cute. I think they were identical as 2 kittens had the exact same pattern and the other 2 had the exact same pattern. All the cats grew up on the street and hung around for a year then one appeared around my area of town and the others left.

Yes they are very cute, but I heard that you should NEVER take baby bunnies out of their nest. Most likely the mom was out eating. I read that if you put the babies back in the nest then the mother will have nothing to do with them, so MAYBE if you put them 10 feet away from where you found them, that might work. If the bunnies are old enough to eat grass on their own (I'm not sure if they are, they look pretty small) then the mom is not needed much anyway. Best of luck, I hope you can keep them alive. Maybe take them to an animal sanctuary? Good luck, keep us updated :)

I'd read a long time ago when I found a baby bunny in a cat's mouth, that if they have that white strip on their forhead, they are still dependant on their mother's milk.

-Ben

yea, they have the dots, MY dogs would EAT them thats why i dont put them back Guys.

They Made it through the night, one ate a whole dropper of food, the others not very much. My mom is taking them to work where she can feed them every few hours, I'm just worried she will get in trouble, I know at school at the Ag Shop I could keep them in one of the teachers room and Go down every few periods and feed them with out getting in trouble.

Oh well, just glad they made it through the night.

yea, they have the dots, MY dogs would EAT them thats why i dont put them back Guys.

Well that's totally understandable :) Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm glad they made it through the night! What are you going to do with them when they make it?

Don't you have too wipe them with a wet clothe to help them go the bathroom or is that just rats/mice.

Well We are probably going to let them loose when they get able to eat real food, I would love to keep one but you know how that goes.

Either way they are eating good.

WE GOT A CAMERA!!!

c7ed8b9b.jpg

28f13920.jpg

c7046458.jpg

I love it.. Cant wait till I get MINE, this is my moms camera not mine.

That's cool about the camera! Awesome pics ;) They are very sweet! I'm so glad they're doing well, good job!

Back