What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

man, you cant make crap like this up...........

Iran and Syria Lead UN Disarmament Commission

At National Review, Anne Bayefsky continues shining a light on the astounding insanity of the United Nations, where the UN Disarmament Commission is being led by Iran and Syria.

On April 9, 2007 there was a United Nations believe-it-or-not moment extraordinaire. At the same time that Iran’s President Ahmadinejad declared his country was now capable of industrial-scale uranium enrichment, the U.N. reelected Iran as a vice chairman of the U.N. Disarmament Commission.

Yes Ripley, the very U.N. body charged with promoting nuclear nonproliferation installed in a senior position the state that the Security Council recently declared violated its nonproliferation resolutions.

So in Iran at the Natanz nuclear facility Ahmadinejad gloated: “With great pride, I announce as of today our dear country is among the countries of the world that produces nuclear fuel on an industrial scale.” And in New York, courtesy of his U.N. platform, Iranian Disarmament Vice-Chairman Seyed Mohammad Ali Robatjazi railed against “noncompliance with the NPT [nuclear nonproliferation treaty] by the United States” and “the Zionist lobby.”

It took the U.N. a mere five days to rehabilitate Iran after the British kidnap victims made it home alive. Just the night before on April 8, Faye Turney, the only female victim, revealed her Iranian abductors stripped her to her underwear, caged her in a tiny, freezing cell, and subjected her to mental torture such as leading her to believe that her death was imminent.

But while this was actually happening to Faye Turney, Ambassador Luis Alfonso de Alba of Mexico, the president of the U.N.’s lead human-rights body — the U.N. Human Rights Council — was making this announcement, March 26, 2006:

I would like to make the following statement adopted by the Council. One,...the Human Rights Council has in closed meetings examined the human rights situation in...the Islamic Republic of Iran...Two, the Human Rights Council has decided to discontinue the consideration of the human rights situation in the Islamic Republic of Iran...Three,...members of the Human Rights Council should make no reference in the public debate to the confidential decisions and material concerning [the Islamic Republic of Iran]...
This is not simply a very bad joke. The U.N. is feted by many as the go-to address for international progress in the world today. Congressman Tom Lantos, chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, declared at a hearing on U.N. reform in February that “the U.N. provides vital support to core U.S. foreign-policy initiatives” including on Iran and the way forward is to “ratchet up our level of diplomacy there.”

And I have to pay my taxes in the next few days to help support The U.N.
Makes me want to puke. :censor: :thumbdown: :headwall: :cuss:

apparently you dont have to pay taxes cuz there isn't a law saying you have to. many people have not payed, been taken to court by the govt., and won

apparently you dont have to pay taxes cuz there isn't a law saying you have to. many people have not payed, been taken to court by the govt., and won

very true...................HOWEVER if you go this route please keep in mind your saying your not going to accept guberment help in the form of wellfare, guberment housing loans, social security and the like.......if you aint going to pay for it your not going to get to use it

slightly different issue but i didnt want another topic with the same title :grin:

Welcoming sharia in Minnesota

Three weeks ago Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten took to the Wall Street Journal to explore the phenomenon of Sharia in Minnesota. Kathy's Star Tribune colleague Curt Brown subsequently reported:

Minneapolis Community and Technical College is poised to become the state's first public school to install a foot-washing basin to help the school's 500 Muslim students perform pre-prayer rituals. "We want to be welcoming," MCTC President Phil Davis said, noting a student was hurt trying to wash in a regular sink.
Brown didn't pause to reveal the nature of the injury sustained by the Muslim student hoisting his foot into the sink. I should think that would make an interesting sidebar all by itself. Where is a reporter's curiosity when you need it?

The Star Tribune can get unusually exercised about church/state separation. I doubt that the merger of mosque and state would even be pointed out as such -- Brown noted it as a "sign of accommodation" -- let alone raise any alarms on the editorial page. Indeed, if they take notice, I think the editors will celebrate it in the spirit of Brown's description of it as an "accommodation."

Not the estimable Ms. Kersten. In her Star Tribune column today Kathy contrasts the treatment of Christianity and Islam at Minnneapolis Technical Community College:

Its officials say the college, a public institution, has a strict policy of not promoting religion or favoring one religion over another. "The Constitution prevents us from doing this in any form," says Dianna Cusick, director of legal affairs.

But that seems to depend on your religion.

Where Christianity is concerned, the college goes to great lengths to avoid any hint of what the courts call "entanglement" or support of the church. Yet the college is planning to install facilities for Muslims to use in preparing for daily prayers, an apparent first at a public institution in Minnesota.

Separation of church and state is clearest at the college during the Christmas season. A memo from Cusick and President Phil Davis, dated Nov. 28, 2006, exhorted supervisors to banish any public display of holiday cheer: "As we head into the holiday season ... "all public offices and areas should refrain from displays that may represent to our students, employees or the public that the college is promoting any particular religion." Departments considering sending out holiday cards, the memo added, should avoid cards "that appear to promote any particular religious holiday."

Last year, college authorities caught one rule-breaker red-handed. A coffee cart that sells drinks and snacks played holiday music "tied to Christmas," and "complaints and concerns" were raised, according to a faculty e-mail. College authorities quickly quashed the practice.

They appear to take a very different attitude toward Islam. Welcome and accommodation are the order of the day for the college's more than 500 Muslim students. The college has worked with local Muslim leaders to ensure that these students' prayer needs and concerns are adequately addressed, Davis told me.

Muslim prayer is an increasingly controversial issue. Many Muslim students use restroom sinks to wash their feet before prayer. Other students have complained, and one Muslim student fell and injured herself while lifting her foot out of a sink.

Some local Muslim leaders have advised the college staff that washing is not a required practice for students under the circumstances, according to Davis. Nevertheless, he says, he wants to facilitate it for interested students. "It's like when someone comes to your home, you want to be hospitable," Davis told me. "We have new members in our community coming here; we want to be hospitable."

So the college is making plans to use taxpayer funds to install facilities for ritual foot-washing. Staff members are researching options, and a school official will visit a community college in Illinois to view such facilities while attending a conference nearby. College facilities staff members are expected to present a proposal this spring.

Unconstitutional. Not cool at all. No religion in public schools. No Christianity, no Islam, no Buddhism or Shintoism or Hinduism or Wicca. If they want religion, they should go private and stop wasting tax payer's money.

I don't see how Muslims do it. More power to them for being so disciplined. I could never go through those rituals 5 times a day.

BULLCRAP all of it. You're in America LIVE OUR WAY OR GO THE FRIG HOME.

As for the UN Universal Numskulls.

BULLCRAP all of it. You're in America LIVE OUR WAY OR GO THE FRIG HOME.

As for the UN Universal Numskulls.

Lots of Muslims are born in America and some convert to Islam later in life. Nothing wrong with putting in a facility like that, but they should NOT use tax money in a PUBLIC school to benefit any religion no matter what it is, Islam or otherwise. When I say nothing wrong with it, I mean in principal if they were private then it's fine but it's not OK for public school.

Putting a giant Buddha statue or a giant Cross is welcoming to some, too but that doesn't mean they should do it.

How stupid. They take a crap when they hear a christmas song playing by some coffee but they're willing to spend that kind of money on something tied solely to church.

Has the world always been so crazy or is this something new? :scratch:

I've got a strange feeling people are going to mistake those foot washing things for urinals..

Far as I am concerned, religion is a private life for each person, therefore you should practice it privately. You dont need to pray 6 times a day or whatever they do, you pray once the almighty will heard you, no need to be repetitive!

But seriously this country is going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to far on "making everyone happy" because everyone will NEVER been totally happy. Just think logically and what is in the interest of EVERYONE.

I agree religion is a private thing. Evangelicals make me a little angry lol :) Praying 5 times a day is kind of like saying 50 "Hail Marry's" I think. At the end of the day rituals counting are absolutely meaningless, to me. I have a mentality of "Do whatever you want and everyone is right in their own way". So uhh... Yeah it's important to them the same way saying hail mary is important to other people and while it's not important to us doesn't mean it should be disrespected. They can bow 100 times a day and it doesn't bother me, but why must the women be at the back of the room? And no one better say so the men won't look at their butts when they pray because that excuse is not good enough. That's sexist to make sit at the back. Key word make, if they do it voluntarily that's fine because they choos it but uhh.. still sexist. And the hijab.. well whatever they can wear it if they want but I still call sexism on that, too. Then again it's kind of the same as a nun's habbot thingie but really not really. Wow what a tangent.

I'm a die hard feminist lol. You'd think more women could chip in on a movie ticket or help pay the dinner bill sometimes. Equality!

We need less, not more religion in public life. But a little more spelling would be nice.

the UN are appropriate letters as they start UNnecessary. LOL

As for the facilities to wash, the sad thing is they are doing it out of a need to keep the lawyers at bay. If kids keep getting hurt then they might get sued. I do feel its ok to do it with public funds as first it does not endorse any religion, just makes it possible for them to practice their religion. Should they stop having Christmas break when they do cause it facilities a religious practice? school on Sundays too? Muslims dont get Friday off their holy day. I think facilitating is fine its endorsing thats a problem. private religious schools can use public busses and even have their kids use public school classes to fill subjects they dont. Christians can use facilities in the school to hold prayer meetings as long as they dont take away from the schools ability to function. I see no problem with facilitating as long as they dont endorse Islam or Christianity.

Can Catholics request a "Holy Water" basin be installed so they can bless themselves before taking a final exam?

Can Catholics request a "Holy Water" basin be installed so they can bless themselves before taking a final exam?

actually that is a very good question and inline with the Muslims request.........

Too bad they can't bless the Muslim's water so that the Catholics can use it, too.

Oh wait, who'd want to pour foot water on themselves. Eww. Athletes Foot. Actually AF is a good reason not to have something like that.

Well, no Americans would get AF at least. ;)

I say ignore it all.....when it comes to religion....just leave it untouched, in all public and private facilities. You're playing with one helluva hornets nest when it comes to religion.

That's where true conservatives and liberals can agree. But hornets resent the comparison and might sue for slander.

I think we need to take a closer look at our 1st amendment. It says separation of CHURCH and state. It does not, however, say separation of MOSQUE and state. It is perfectly fine to support the Islamic religion in school.:crazy:

THIS IS INSANE! If they do that to Christmas they need to do that to Halloween as well. It was originally centered around Satanism, but has evolved (or devolved) into trick or treat. Christmas evolved (or devolved) to gifts all around w/ Santa Clause.

That's not true. It originated from "pagan" holiday with the celts (I guess their religion was druidism if that's a word) in the UK. It was called "Samhain". It celebrated the end of summer or something to do with the moon and they slaughtered cows for winter.

Back