What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't find my new external usb hard drive on my computer

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
Hi,
I just got a external usb hard drive and when I connect it I can't find it on my computer.
I have looked in device manager and it's there, but I don't know how to find it to use.
Does anyone know how to get in under the My Computer screen?
thanks,
zero

Drive model number/brand?
OS?
If it is installed as a storage device, it will show up in my computer automatically.
Andrew

windows xp
maxtor sata 250 gb drive
doesn't show up automaticly.

Did you try testing it on another USB port?

Did it come with a CD or are there drivers on the maker's website?

(In my computer) It should just show up as a hard drive labeled "-letter- external media" or something along those lines and it should act like any other HDD, you just click to open it and do whatever you want.

uhm, sata isn't usb external. That may be the drive inside the housing.. If you're using some type of aftermarket external HDD housing then we need that model number.

My firewire external (used over the last 2 days to restore a fried HDD :-\) shows up as ibook (D: ) under hard disk drives.... It doesn't indicate it is external.

the case is a ez bus dts.

drivers

pick which one is yours. download it. Unzip the files. go to device manager, find it, right click it, update driver it should find the one on your desktop. install restart.

If that doesn't help. OR option #2 go to device manager, right click remove drive. restart computer. when it looks for the driver point to new downloaded driver folder.

From the link Andrew posted earlier the EzBus DTS manual says:

Turn off computer, never connect or disconnect EzBus DTS with computer powered on.

Attach the appropriate SATA cable depending on the SATA or eSATA port on your computer (note SATA not USB).

Power up the Ez Bus DTS. Power up computer.

At which point you should see the drive.

If you connected the drive while either were powered up you may have fried the drive or the case.

He is using USB case. The sata connection is inside. So it should be hot swappable. (connectible with computer on.)

Zero said it was the DTS model which is SATA.

That's the weirdest thing because the same thing has been happening with my PSP and my camera. I just shut down the computer and re started it and it was fine.

Dunno what to tell you. When I asked for a model number he told me the type and size of the HDD inside the case. So I don't exactly trust his model numbers ;-)

Hi,I just got a external usb hard drive

I guess it's any body's guess what it really is.

I got it working,
thanks for trying to help
peace,
Zero

Back