What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planet Earth has Nepenthes and Symbiotes

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Planet Earth had the rain forest episode tonight and had a pretty good segment on Nepenthes and their symbiotes, the crab spider and the literal crabby crab. I think they did a good job and spent much more time than Expedition Borneo did. I want one of those crabs.

I was just watching that show! I must have missed the nepenthes segment...Darn!

Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can catch a reairing.

No comment about you wanting crabs. ;)

JLAP,
was that the one on jungles w/Sigourney Weaver?
if so it's on again later and I recording it.
glad to hear there is a nepenthes part in it.
peace,
Zero

One crab will do just fine. You know what they say about crabs, a crab in the pants is worth 5 in the bushel.
WTF lmao

Zero, yeppers and I won't say which one it was other than it was a lowlander. I won't spoil it.

I too was disappointed that Expedition Borneo didnt spend more time on the carnivorous plants. I missed the first run of Planet Earth tonight, I will definitely be catching the second run here in about half an hour. Thanks for the heads up JLaP.

I downloaded the whole thing with better voice over. (David Attenborough) I haven't watched it yet though. :/

I also have The Private Life of Plants. I think everyone here should watch that one it's REALLY interesting.

I also have The Private Life of Plants. I think everyone here should watch that one it's REALLY interesting.

I've read that book!!!
very nice pics, but still reminds me of a little kid's book :-(

I think I saw that in the New Age section and didn't give it much scientific credit :)

Saw this last night. The in-pitcher cam was pretty darn cool. Never heard of the Nepenthes crabs before, I'll have to do some reading on that this week. haha Well truly, I hardly know anything about Neps....

I was disipointed that they didn't have the relation ship between Camponotus sp. that lives on N. bicalarata. It lives in the trendils of the plant and eats the prey the pitcher helps catch. I return the plant gets pretection from orbovores and omnivores. I was shocked to see a crab in one! I want the ant and plant one though.

They already had that on that ant show.

They did? Darn, then I missed it!

Is it just me or did some of that footage seem recycled? I could swear I've seen some of those shots of crab spiders before.
~Joe

I saw that last night too.

That crab-spider was creepy. I HATE spiders.

Glad my tiny VFT has gobbled down a couple in the last couple weeks.....:clap:

I noticed some familiar shots too, mostly though the part where the man jumps into that huge cavern, which I had seen in Discovery Channel commercials for years, but never in a show. Although, even though this will eventually end up in one of the sections of this series, I still haven't seen it say what the heck he is doing. This thing took 5 years to film, so I'm sure they gave some of their footage to other programs.

-Ben

The Private Life of Plants is a documentary not a book.. well it could be a book too but that's not what I'm talking about, lol.

Back