What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a Sad Day...Tech shooting

the abhorrent deaths of innocent people
RIGHT.

Yesterday the President and our Gov. Time Kaine spoke to the students at Tech and last nite there was a beautiful candlelight vigil there. At the same time, all the colleges and universities in Richmond held vigils as well. I wish I could have gone but I had a meeting to attend. I'm glad to see the students pulling together. The Hokie Nation's pride is serving them well as a way to bond and support each other. I think right now, everyone in VA feels like an Honorary Hokie. Two students that died were from Richmond...and another's mother, new President of the CCF, is living here. She lost her son. So there is a lot of grief here.

On the positive note, there were so many acts of heroism that took place that is something those kids and faculty can be proud of.

I wish the freakin' media would stop trying to assign blame...from trying to blame police and faculty for not doing enough to making it sound like someone should have been able to see into the future and KNOW that kid was going to commit mass murder. Sure, he was a odd duck but no one could have known this would happen. People did what they could and that's all you can ask of anyone.

If you ever want to go to a school that is infused with pride and enthusiasm, Tech is the place. (Not to mention its a great academic school).

RIGHT.

I wish the freakin' media would stop trying to assign blame...from trying to blame police and faculty for not doing enough to making it sound like someone should have been able to see into the future and KNOW that kid was going to commit mass murder. Sure, he was a odd duck but no one could have known this would happen. People did what they could and that's all you can ask of anyone.

I'm with you on that one, PAK... my college has a few oddballs as well (most places do) but there is just no way to know if somebody is going to lose it like that. VT shut down the residence hall when the first incident happened and was looking into the identity of the shooter when the second wave began... I can't say my school would do anything differently. The only thing I can think of them doing is cancelling classes and everything immediately, but who's to say that would have helped? If everyone got a text message to their cell telling them a gunman was on the loose (which is the system they're talking about installing now).... including the gunman... mass panic would have ensued and the gunman could have had his pick of any building anyway.

Whose fault is it? The gunman's. Who on earth could have seen anything like this coming and could have prepared for it?

His English teacher, for starters. She did all she could do and she's a damn good woman for it if you as me.

On the positive note, there were so many acts of heroism that took place that is something those kids and faculty can be proud of.

That is so great. It's sad that one of the greatest things that can help bring people together and strengthen communities is a crises or tragedy.

xvart.

In situations like this, that are SO horrible, you have to find something good in it. Those kids and faculty probably surprised themselves at what they did. I think its just a "reaction" situation where you just DO without thinking too much. Survival instinct I guess.

They said if they text messaged everyone it would jam the phone system. I don't think there is any one method that could have reached ALL the students and faculty. Many students were asleep during the first accident and simply got up and went to class.

On Friday they are asking everyone to wear the Hokie colors, maroon and orange in support of the school. Most of us are going to be wearing "HOKIE NATION" T-shirts.

They said if they text messaged everyone it would jam the phone system. I don't think there is any one method that could have reached ALL the students and faculty. Many students were asleep during the first accident and simply got up and went to class.

At my school we have been in the process of negotiating a deal with Rave Wireless, which is a company that "connects" the entire campus over internet and cell phones, with similar features as facebook. One of the shining features (especially now) is the emergency broadcast feature where every student would receive an instant "message" from the university in times of crises. For example, if there was a similar incident on campus, all students would receive a photo from our surveillance camera (if one shows the student/person) and telling them what to do (lock doors, stay inside, don't go to class, etc.). This feature is also used for other emergencies like weather and whatever else of which you can think. Not next August, but August of 2008, cell phones will be a part of student fees so every student will have a cell phone.

xvart.

it's considered that "cho" was heavily suffering from maybe school.

maybe he got angry with his hellish life and decided to

bring some "friends" to his way to the hell

the school should've locked the school after the first shooting...

some translation:

anti usa:

americans are so stupid.

they never cared when a korean middleschooler got smashed by a tank,

and little kids strapped with bomb and committing a suicide, and

now they make a huge fuss about a school shooting. it alright to fuss,

but being all "innocent and trying to look good" is very galling.

wha if a kid did this in remote area of africa? will bush flatter himself

like this? - from www.naver.com

korean korea blamers:

shooting happend because we didn't raise our children correctly.

and so on also from naver

What?

So... Cho Seung-Hui mailed NBC News a large package, including photographs and videos
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/
NBC News President Steve Capus said the network received the package, which was not addressed to a specific person, in Tuesday afternoon’s mail delivery, but it was not opened until Wednesday morning. The network immediately turned the materials over to FBI agents in New York.

“You had a hundred billion chances and ways to have avoided today,” Cho says. “But you decided to spill my blood. You forced me into a corner and gave me only one option. The decision was yours. Now you have blood on your hands that will never wash off.”

The production of the videos is uneven, with Cho’s voice so soft that at times it is hard to understand him. But they indicate that Cho had worked on the package for some time, because he not only “took the time to record the videos, but he also broke them down into snippets” that were embedded paragraph by paragraph into the main document, Capus said.

How... its really odd that he would do it. It tells us more about the motive, atleast

He's just crazy as hell people. He was a LUNATIC and none of that BS (and it was pure BS) made any sense. He sounded like some loser that was pissed because he didn't fit in, so he decided to go on a rampage. He was just crazy as hell.

Leewoojin94....FIn case you didn't know...when you want to add additional text, you can use the EDIT button to amend your original post. There isn't any need to make 4 posts in a row.

From what I understand, quite a few people made effort to make friends or to offer him help and he'd have none of it. I think it boils down to the fact that he was simply mentally ill. Perhaps he suffered some devasting occurance like child molestation or something that made him withdraw into himself and become so angry. It was really strange to see him delivering that diatribe after everyone said he never talked. It came out in a flood like a dam breaking.

Just one more thing to make those victims feel even worse. :(

Tomorrow is a state day of mourning.

xvart...that phone system sounds AWSOME. I'll bet a lot of schools will be checking into that now. I just hope there isn't a spate of copy cats in the future. I guess if this causes schools to rethink policies and institute new protective plans, then that will be a good thing to come out of this.

It's not "spelt" it's "spelled". The irony when pointing out someone else's spelling error. :poke:

When my husband told me about the package he sent to BBS, I understood the reason why he shot victims whom he singled out and why he was the way he turned out.

I handled two boys who fought in school yesterday. One was seened by everyone as the aggressor and the other, the victim. After questioning the witnesses and friends of the victim, we came to know the the "victim" had been bullying the "aggressor" for the past one year. Jeering, taunting, "accidentally" knocking into him. When I asked the "aggressor" how he would like to settle the issue, he said that he wanted see the principal. I told him of the consequences...that he would be punished as well for starting the fight. His answer? "I am willing to be punished as long as he ("victim") gets punished. I have been picked on too many times." Perhaps I have seen enough cowards who only dared to take a jab at someone when the person is down or when the lights are dim...at that moment, I didn't think that this poor child is mental. I even think that he is right to think in that manner!

This boy had few friends (like Cho) and soon he will learn that teaching staff like myself (like Cho's lecturers) always side the "victims". If the emotional need of this child is not attended to quickly, we will have another Cho in the making.

I thoroughly dislike those cowards who do not dare to stand up and face the person but instead gang up with others to pick on a child who has anger management problems. And I have no respect for adults who think that a child who has anger management problems are always the perpetrator.

Cho's case has brought into the open a deep-seeded issue. The children and young adults of this new generation have poor EQ. They do not know how to accept people of different race and of different character. If we allow them to grow up the way they are now, we will soon find a bullet in our heads too.

Cho's case has brought into the open a deep-seeded issue. The children and young adults of this new generation have poor EQ. They do not know how to accept people of different race and of different character. If we allow them to grow up the way they are now, we will soon find a bullet in our heads too.

... this guy was a truly deranged sociopath. there's no "understanding" needed here. i do not care what your circumstances are- normal people do not up and execute 32 innocent people for no reason other than a perceived slight. it's not like this guy was Mr. Wonderful who was baking cookies for his neighbors but was rejected because of his ethnicity- he was borderline criminally insane all along and then completely lost it. i'd have avoided him like the plague too, acting the way people say he did... the ability to deeply unsettle people has nothing whatsoever to do with race or character.

you might be right in a general sense but this guy was rotten to the core. i have no sympathy for that kind of cold and ruthless personality under any circumstances.

I don't want to say that I have sympathy, but I do want to say that I feel sorry for him. I don't think this was just about bullying, I think he was insane, suffered from EXTREME paranoia, and maybe he even had dissociative disorder or something.

Today is the official day of mourning for Virginia. However, many other states, colleges and individuals are following suit. I've seen so many touching tributes to Tech from other colleges and nations. I was particularly touched by the Koreans who held vigils holding flowers, candles and even "VT" signs. Ellen Degeneres sent flowers to Tech. One bad person has brought out the best is millions of people.

So...join the HOKIE NATION and try to wear orange and maroon today if you can. Its appreciated. There is a memorial service taking place at noon here in Monroe Park in the center of VCU with the Governor and Mayor.

At noon there will be a moment of silence. I hope you all will observe this too if you can.

I might have some photos later on.

Thanks!

Back