What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle Cry?

Yeah, just the other night I was reading the newest edition of RollingStone when I came upon the article Teenage Holy War. I decided to read it and I was horrified. It's basically a bunch of Christian Radicals that are trying to claim a Christian Jihad on all of the world that they do not find acceptable. These include:
Queers and Communists, feminists and Muslims
which are labeled as their 'real enemies'. I did some research, and they find that anyone who doesn't accpet Jesus Christ as their lord and savior, such as Budhists, hindus, shinto, ect. I think that this is completely outragous!!!!!
In the article they also say that one of the main 'preachers' that are teaching these kids this idea has managed to rally 200,000 at once and has preached to more than 2,000,000.

also on this website: http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2006/05/07/18215381.php

another preacher named Gary DeMar stated:
I would execute gays only if we catch them indulging in sodomy

to which this website states:
Gary DeMar stated he’d execute gays only if they were caught indulging in sodomy, but others envision sinners in line for the death penalty would include women who commit adultery or lie about their virginity, blasphemers, witches, children who strike their parents, and gay men. Thus, DeMar is considered somewhat of a liberal in this extreme authoritarian movement.

which are my thoughts almost exactly.
I find it horrible that he would say something about me, even though he is an extremist of the religion of love. But if that were completely true then wouldn't he want to love me even more and show me the way of Christ instead of kill me?

what's your imput on this subject?

Aww don't worry about it man. This is just like that Phelps clan of inbreds. That says "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "God hates fags". No one is going to take these people seriously. I have a feeling that that figure is grossely exaggerated, if not a flat out lie. Even Megachurches don't have 200K goers , nevermind 2 million. Maybe if you count TV broadcasts. EDIT: hey it actually mentions phelps in this article.

Well, the OT does say to pretty much kill everyone lol. I guess they should start by committing suicide since Jesus says to love everyone. If the GLBT community was extermianted, there is about 30 million murdered right there alone in America if my math is right. That's about SIX HUNDRED MILLION of us in the world, rounding down on the world population and multiplying at the current rate of gay/lesbian/bi (not counting transgendered) births at 10% Nevermind the people who lie about their virginity and blasphemy.

This guy says nothing about Lesbians, only gay men. I guess he only likes it when girls are gay. Auctually I know a lot of homophobes that really like Lesbians. Too bad they'll never have one lmao

As far as "ushering in Armageddon" and trying to create the right conditions for the Second Coming, If you ask me that's kind of like cheating and it won't happen if they try. I think the rapture happens first and then all of the war. That's just me, I don't really care what anyone else things and I hope they believe whatever makes them happiest. I don't like evangelicalism at all and it pisses me off. And mainstream "Christianity" makes me sick because it's practically synonymous with conservativism. The thought of calling myself a "Christian" doesn't appeal to me so I say "Christ follower" instead because what Christianity is today makes me sick. It's political. God doesn't give a rats *** about politics if you want my opinion.

Abstinence doesn't work. No one practices it but the goody-goodies and even that doesn't last forever. Sex between a man and a woman or a man and a man or a woman and a woman is a beautiful thing (theoretically lmao) and should be embraced rather than shunned. Marriage is governed by the state anyway, not the church. SEX FEELS GOOD! DO IT BUT BE SAFE AND USE PROTECTION!!!

The 700 club always asks for money. Money money money money. Turn it on right now, and I bet they'll be asking for money. I don't like Pat Robertson but he's probably the mildest of all of the Christian Crazies as I call them.

Bush is not in a cult. There is no cult. I'm sick of this cult crap.

My friends mom is a Witch and she has purple hair and owns a new age store. I hope she doesn't get stoned. Hey I havn't been stoned in a while, maybe I should go pay Mr. DeMar a visit.

More hateful garbage. I think Clint summed it up pretty nicely. An extermist is an extermist, no matter the denomination. You can't let extremists turn you off to certain general things, but they serve as a good reminded that too much of anything is a bad thing.

lol
yeah, but they seriously have a lot of people.
George W. Bush told Luce(the one preacher that has the highest preach record) that he supported him. That was right after P.O.D. played on stage.

and here's another link that I have discovered:
http://www.counterpunch.org/taylor05112006.html

What most of these figures have in common is their insistence that the Bible be read literally and obeyed as the inerrant word of God. And, as Ron Luce leads youth to pray, "I will keep my eyes on the battle, submitting to Your code even when I don't understand.outside my comfort zone in the battle zone," it would be foolish to expect that there is any part of the Bible's literal horrors this movement would be unwilling to enforce. That includes stoning disobedient children and non-virgin brides (Deuteronomy 21:18-21 and 22:13-21), executing gays (Leviticus 20:13), and keeping slaves (Peter 2:18).

and keeping slaves (Peter 2:18)

what!!!

Crazies. I seriously doubt most, if not all, of the facts and figures provided by those people, for the exact reasons Clint provided. They are an "organization" based on lame propaganda. They will never amount to anything.

xvart.

This stuff is truly scary. It also proves that all religions have their extremists, though Christian extremism is often ignored and not considered dangerous. Although those who hold these extreme views are a small percentage, they can still impact policy. These are the type of people who got evolution removed from many schools. I think the number of people who feel this way is small but the number willing to follow them is much larger. Remember the anti-semitic population in Germany in the 1930's was not nearly as large as the number of people who followed and allowed the holocaust to happen. We all need to be vigilant and not become followers to prevent them from taking control.

Also you should see the movie Jesus Camp if you have not. It goes along the same lines and it gives some good insight into how they are indoctrinating kids to help spread this message.

Remember that God didn't write the bible, man did. Back then they had homophobes and sexists too. They DID have politics and uber-conservatives back then, too. Jesus would have been considered a liberal hippie.

If you think these people are only worried about saving souls, you're kidding yourself. Look at the Left Behind series for adult, series for kids, and now the videogame with I believe lets you "save" people by exposing them to Christian propaganda/witnessing, or lets you kill the filthy sinners :) Now that's Christianity Grand Theft Auto style.

Jesus camp is a horrifying documentary. I wonder how many of these kids will be around in 20, 30 years? Will they be depressed alcoholics who can't live up to conservative standard of "morality"? Will some of them end up gay and kill themselves? I wonder how many of these kids will really wait until they are married to have sex? I bet most of them will have a public face and a private life.

I was thinking last night that Christian extremism is just as bad as Islamic extremism. Then I asked myself what Bhuddist extremism was lmao. Meditating for a week straight? Those radicals! lmao

I was thinking last night that Christian extremism is just as bad as Islamic extremism.

Islamic extremism is to Muslims as the KKK is to Christianity.

xvart.

This is where I become a total ******* and deny Farmer Dave any sleep for the next month: Hey, Farmer Dave, go look up "Dominionism".

For those that don't know, "Dominionism" is the label given to (and sometime accepted by) the movement within evangelical Christianity to make the US "a Christian nation", with laws similar to those described in the initial post. The organizations are only loosely affliliated, but include many mega-churches, a substantial number of adherents (into the millions, far from 'fringe'), millions of dollars in funding, and connections to politicians at all levels. IIRC, the Ted Haggard guy who got outed was a self-professed Dominionist. There are, of course, levels of extremism, but the general notion of installing a theocracy is disturbingly prevalent in mainstream churches.

Seriously, google around about them. It's not just the fringe - think of every otherwise-sensible person who has been fooled into believing that the US was somehow founded on Christianity (in spite of the decisively secular and even anti-religion sentiments many of the founding-fathers expressed).

Still, I will admit they were there for me when I needed them. Ok, I needed them in the context of "Ok, I need an antagonist for my novel, someone the readers can definitely hate, like the Nazis in Indiana Jones..."

Mokele

Islamic extremism is to Muslims as the KKK is to Christianity.

xvart.

very true!!

yeah, just by punching in the words "Christian Battle Cry" you can find numerous things on them.

Just as Ktulu said, the anti-seminists were low in their numbers at the begginning, but because of growing problems in their countries they began to look torwards someone for help. It just so happened that a good chunk of them looked torwards Adolf Hitler, and look what happened there.

Thanks Mokele!
I will make sure to look up dominionism when I get home from school tomorrow.

In fact they did say that they believed that God put our government in charge, and that the united states was discovered and grew up to be what it is today to be a ruling Christian country.

which I personally think is 100% BS.

----------------------------------------
And I do 100% believe that I'd appreciate it if you'd not circumvent the word filter by replacing a single letter or two with simlar-looking symbols. Apparently "BS" is accepted, so I've inserted that. Feel free to change it to any number of creative, clean alternatives such as "blather," "crud," or "dreck." Have a nice day. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mokele! Good to see you here again. I don't believe I've seen you posting here recently. I hope you're back to stay for a while! I often appreciated your insight on issues.

But going back on topic... It's true that though there aren't too many of these types of people (which is sort of inherent to the term "extermist") we do need to be vigilant. There's folks out there who'd make the Moral Majority look like children.

It's funny when people think the US government is detatched from religion. Where's my stem cell research? :shrug: Maybe I'm just an evil baby killer (who happens to want to be able to help people with spinal chord injuries and other debilitating physical dieases.)

It's funny when people think the US government is detatched from religion. Where's my stem cell research?

exactly!!!!
our over religious government has caused us, our people, and our nation many problems.
It's our human nature. That tells us to be caring and kind to all living creatures. Even though it might govern most of our actions, actual nature should be our over all governing unwritten constitution (or in my personal opinion).

Funny topic, The best thing about that Magazine was the cover.... hehehe they were cuties, i wanted some of those bullets for a bullet belt.

Mokele! Good to see you here again. I don't believe I've seen you posting here recently. I hope you're back to stay for a while! I often appreciated your insight on issues.

Thanks! I never really left, I just slacked off on posting since I'm working like mad to get a paper out the door, since I *really* want to get started on my second thesis chapter.

Mokele

Laughing my A off.

Back