User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School Shootings (warning: graphic content inside)

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buster1 View Post
    Personally, I have always found it annoying when people just cut and paste large volumes of information and post it.
    I agree also. If anything, post a couple quotes of what is most important to your topic, and then reference the rest of it in a link where people can follow up if they want to. When I see huge long quotes from other sites and nothing else, like no personal opinion or commentary it is certainly annoying because I probably have already read all that on a news site already. If I have not, or it's something a little more obscure, I am more interested in hearing what the author has to say and reading about the issue or topic at my own leisure. As to the questionable content, a list of names would have been sufficient if you were starting a mourning thread, but listing names and how they specifically died is totally for sensation sake. Of course, that comes from probably just cut and pasting...

Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    I'm sure some of you remember Columbine and now Tech shooting and the Bath School Disaster...
    I'm sure you are aware of the Columbine incident...
    I'm also sure you have heard of the University of Texas Massacre...
    If you are so sure we are aware of all the information you are posting, what is the purpose of telling us again unless you have something else to add?

...obviously it's speeding up, something needs to be done, ideas?
    Here is a legitimate question for discussion, but does not require the breadth of the original post to get at.

I think, as mentioned in a couple other posts already, we need to increase personal communication and interaction among our youth. Obviously, there is nothing that can stop someone who is dead set on causing harm to many people; but, it seems often times when school shootings happen it is because of people feel outcast or ostracized or did not have a firm grasp of positive ways to voice disappointment and discouragement. If we somehow find a way to teach young young children to voice their feelings and provide them with positive outlets for these emotions I think we will have headed one step in the right direction. Again, some people just want to complain and not do anything about it, and unfortunately, on occasion these people do drastic and inappropriate things. In my opinion, if you don't have any suggestions to offer then you are not justified in complaining.

xvart.

edit: oooh, Andrew, putting quotes inside of quotes! Must have taken some extra typing, unless you have some sweet admin abilities. lol.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z5guy View Post
    maybe you dont quite understand why people are offended. maybe we should cover how they maximze there "kill", lol you digust me.
    I win.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is in bad taste and it's pointless. That said I think it's stupid not offensive, not to me, but I realize how others would be.

Also let's realize that it's coming from a 13 year old so he's still developing social skills, not to sound condescending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Columbine was barely 8 years ago, and now the Virginia Tech, obviously it's speeding up, something needs to be done, ideas?

Ideas:

1) Teach your children well (CSN)
    2) Required reading for high schoolers:
    "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" (D. Millman)
    "Ishmael" (D. Quinn)
    3) Study history and learn that terrible tragedies such as this one have been happening for centuries.
    4) Do at least one thing each day to help build community -- meet a neighbor, help a stranger, plant a tree, whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsneakas View Post
    Ideas:

1) Teach your children well (CSN)
    "Ishmael" (D. Quinn)
    3) Study history and learn that terrible tragedies such as this one have been happening for centuries.
    4) Do at least one thing each day to help build community -- meet a neighbor, help a stranger, plant a tree, whatever.
    ooh!!!

I loved reading Ishmael. At the end of the book I kinda felt scared because everything Ishmael said just made sense.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsneakas View Post
    "Ishmael" (D. Quinn)
    I love Ishmael. In fact, I love all of Daniel Quinn's books. They are very interesting and thought provoking. One of my favorite lines from "My Ishmael" goes something like: "We (humans) can't live like moths because we are too intelligent and we can't live like angels and gods because we aren't intelligent enough." Wonderful reading. Down with totalitarian agriculture!

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I love Ishmael. In fact, I love all of Daniel Quinn's books. They are very interesting and thought provoking. One of my favorite lines from "My Ishmael" goes something like: "We (humans) can't live like moths because we are too intelligent and we can't live like angels and gods because we aren't intelligent enough." Wonderful reading. Down with totalitarian agriculture!

xvart.

oh man. I havent read any D. Quinn books lately. Maybe I should start reading My Ishmael or Story of B.

Have you read The Holy?
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiana54 View Post
    oh man. I havent read any D. Quinn books lately. Maybe I should start reading My Ishmael or Story of B.

Have you read The Holy?
    No, I have not read "The Holy." I have it on my library list of books to be held for me, though. "Story of B" is a great book because while it still follows the ideas in "Ishmael" it takes a whole different approach to the subject matter whereas "My Ishmael" is pretty much "Ishmael" all over again, but expanded upon in greater detail.

xvart.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast