What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family & Friends Reaction to your plants

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Alright,

When you first started growing the plants (or, when specific people figured out, or gave their attention to it) what was their reaction? What do your friends find is their favourite plant?

My mom finds Sundews to be the most intriguing, due to the dew (no pun intended?) that makes them look fascinating, and she thought my D. capensis flowers are beautiful.

I've grown VFTs on and off for a LOOOOONG time. Turns out every year they were going dormant, and not dying. haha... so once I got into the hobby heavy, they really didn't think anything of it. Now that I have a pretty big g/h and quite a few plants, I think my family's favorite Sp. is pings. Because the plants look like little flowers. Of course there are other plants around the g/h that catch their attention too. it seems they never have the same favorite haha.

i've pretty much always collected plants, so it took my close family a while to realise. my relatives just seemed to think of it as another of the strange things i do. my physics teacher simply burst out laughing

Well my parents think its a wonderful thing(keeps me busy i guess). I showed one of my friends my collection and didnt think much... Other than that no one else knows that i grow CPs.

My parents think they are beautiful, and I lost all my friends when I dropped out of public school to do home school.

my friends think its wierd. I am the only one in my facebook mcmaster group who is doing this...who has a nepenthes ventrata in his hand in his profile picture. :p

Not surprisingly, only two people mention having any friends, not counting the one who mentions he lost all his friends. So do people have no friends because they grow CPs or do they grow CPs because they have no friends?

Herenorthere: LOL!

I have one friend named Joe who is my age and is in a wheelchair who I told about my plants, along with my friend Chris, Joe asks how they are from time to time, I told my Science teacher and he seemed to be a little interested but nothing much.

my friends think its wierd. I am the only one in my facebook mcmaster group who is doing this...who has a nepenthes ventrata in his hand in his profile picture. :p

My facebook picture is a vft. My family think it is very interesting. My dad really gets into it when I send him some updated pictures. He is a nature channel/discovery channel buff and loves all things living. We exchange quite a few emails over the subject.

xvart.

edit:

Must have missed this the first scroll through...
Not surprisingly, only two people mention having any friends, not counting the one who mentions he lost all his friends. So do people have no friends because they grow CPs or do they grow CPs because they have no friends?

LOL! Speaking of, my friends...

Ii have friends, but I'm just plain weird. My mom thinks its cute that i grow them, and my ex gf thought it was cute as well, my mom likes it mostly cause i guess it keeps me out of trouble.

My friends all humour (Canadian spelling ;)) my hobbies, CPs and beyond. My most wacky specimens draw more interest than, say, another rosetted sundew ( me- "Yeah, it looks like some of my other ones, but the retentive glands on this one are TOTALLY different, watch...")

My Wife LOVES certain Neps and Sarrs. She tolerates Sundews, thinks Cephs are cool, and likes Pings and Utrics quite a bit to boot.

My sister thinks it's weird, but she thought everything I've ever done is weird so that's to be expected.

My mom thinks the plants are fascinating and beautiful (she's the reason I care about plants in the first place) but refuses any offers I make as far as her growing them- she still thinks they're "voodoo" to keep alive- tho I think she's most afraid of killing one of "my" plants :D

So no-one I know thinks anything "bad" about the hobby, but most of them aren't really too excited by it either

I think we all are just a new level of weird...

So no-one I know thinks anything "bad" about the hobby, but most of them aren't really too excited by it either

If they were excited about then they would have become members here!

xvart.

My friends love the plants, but my family would look into my terrarium look and ask whats in here (expecting it to be another reptile) the when they find out it's just plants they sigh "ooh" then walk away.

My mom comes over for dinner on Wednesdays, she always cruises her walker around and checks out my fish tanks and my CPs. Mom likes the nepenthes the best. My friend Jackie likes my sundews, because of the sparkly dew. My better half thinks I'm nuts, she is a florist, she prefers the sarrs. My brother thinks I'm a crackhead, because I pay so much attention to my plants. My sister in law is a waste of skin so I dont even have a clue what she thinks, nor do I care....(sorry baggage:-D ). My brothers kids think that the flytraps are the coolest. Most of my other friends dont really say to much, I think that they think I'm a crack head...

My parents are amused, my little bro considers me(and, consequently, all of you) eccentric, my best friend is actually frightened of them, and by older bro and his roommates have started bugging me for some gnat catchers. Other responses have been "cool," "weird," and "why?"

Me? Eccentric?

Sir, if growing a race of radioactive, man-eating plants in your basement makes one eccentric, then.. hmmmmmmm ahh....

Well my sisters think it's a little weird, but everyone else I know is cool with it. My Physics teacher thinks it's pretty cool; he knows a little about them as well as some people in the CP business. One of these days I'm going to donate a couple CP's to the science class room. Everyone thinks it's neat because horticulture is a passion that I want to eventually turn into a career.

its always the same thing for me..."dude your obsessed" haha. my brother says im the only person in this house obsessed with somthing. even though he references EVERYTHING to Narutu (that ninja show or...whatever) and starwars. i turn it around and say hes obsessed. im spending my birthday money on a plant shelf and plants. he spends his on starwars toys. then! he gets money from my grandma to use during SB. the first day hes down there he buys little toys of narutu and starwars. later on in the week. i still have my money and hes begging me to buy stuff for him.....uh...no. ANYWAYS my friends tolerate it. as do my parents. they love my N. saguinea most of all! and my orchids (that are in bloom) my mom and dad think utrics are lame until they see the flowers. hidden beauty :scratch:
Alex

Some friends think I'm weird. Some actually got into the hobby as a result of my enthusiasm. My kids have no inetrest in them and my wife describes the hobby as "morbid".

Back