User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: all i can say is...............WOW.........

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Everyone knows Ham is Satan's lucheon meat of choice.

Along with oliveloaf.
    And bologna! (we've now come full circle with the astronomy post!)

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I like bologna with some horseradish and swiss cheese on toasted sourdough.

God I sound like an old woman. Kill me now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    instead of six degrees of Kevin Bacon, we have six degrees of Ham or Bacon

Av

edit: six degrees, not seven ways....

i think i planted them a little too close together... ne3p's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does wild boar count as ham?

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Western countrys still activly retard the advancement of many iddle Eastern countries
    Well i dont know about any other feild, but in science and advancements in technology they do it to themselves. In contrast to the shining history of acheivemnts and the strives they made ho help spurn the science revlution, the past few hundered years have been rather sad

To usher science and technology more thoroughly into Arab culture and society, however, the West needs to acknowledge the Arab world's historical contributions, and the Arab world needs to stop dwelling on its golden past by also embracing lessons about science and technology that the West learned long ago.
    "Currently, the scientific output of Arabs is disproportionate to their human and economic capacities. Taking biomedical research as an example, Arab countries currently produce less than 1% of citations in the world and contribute less than 0.5% of papers appearing in the 200 leading medical journals. Annual spending on research and development in Arab countries is estimated at 0.15% of their gross domestic product (GDP), compared to a world average of 1.4%. Lack of funding, poor institutional support, and meager integration within the international scientific community are among the many reasons that analysts have cited to explain the current status of science in Arab states. More general factors, such as wars, conflicts, and international political and economic sanctions, also have been implicated"

Most of the reserch funding is directed at wepons development. There is almost no funding for material or natural sciences. This cannot be blamed on the West for the countrie's meager reserch funds.
    Rich Arabs believed that oil money plus Western technology was a simple formula for industrialization and modernization. Thus, acquiring the latest technological products or shares in hi-tech industries became synonymous with being partners in the technological revolution of the modern world. After all, most Arabs view science as a commodity that can be separated from the thought processes and sociocultural attributes of its producers. This perspective makes it hard to appreciate the differences in culture and values between technology-producing and technology-consuming societies.

....the arrival of innovations brings with it, directly or indirectly, the lifestyle and sociocultural values of their innovators. Wealth, it seems, is powerless against the culture of those who create and own the technology.

...has been to view the West's interest in science as an improper indulgence in material trivialities. For decades, these changes were proliferating and festering under the surface, creating an atmosphere inimical to science and one effectively closed to the possibility of learning from the Western experience.
    Science was caught in the cross-fire. Subconsciously for many Arabs, modern science's ties to the West, to rationalism, and to natural materialism gave it the flavor of enmity. And because science cannot be practiced nowadays without close collaboration with Western academic institutions, research has become, in the minds of many Arabs, a suspicious activity and yet another potential gateway for Western incursion.

that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if a culture does not put a great emphasis on science and instead emphasis on spirituality and their fate in the afterlife that makes them backwards? What makes a belief in science superior to an emphasis on spirituality. Just because science is more important in your life doesnt mean it should be in everyones life.
    The fact that they spend a large portion of their incomes on weapons development is a direct result of colonialism and the mandate period where the western nations created artificial borders grouping people who do not get along and set up weak puppet governments who collapsed and were disposed by dictators. The country's like Iran(who's people are Persians, not Arab but was mentioned earlier in the post) who did develop democracy had them disposed by US back revolutions. Dictators and religious regimes are not known for allowing the most freedom of thought and kindness to new scientific discoveries. On top of this the western nations (especially the US and Britain) placed Israel into the middle east and then gave them large quantities of advanced weapons driving an arms race in the middle east. The west also backs Israel in their aggressive expansionist actions forcing Israel's neighbors to have large militarizes and try to close the technology gap through weapons development spending.
    Finch what source did you use for your information? Also I would like to see the science spending of other former colonial countries freed around WWII vs. the middle east. I imagine they would not be fairly similar. I have a feeling that much of the rejection of western science is a result of the governments that control the countries. If you examine countries like Jordan they are very western and are scientifically and medically advanced as well as granting many freedoms to its citizens. Now if you look at a country like Saudi Arabia they are probably the most oppressed and least scientifically advanced. In both situations the government in control is the major factor controlling these differences, with Jordan's rulers encouraging advancement (especially king Hussein) and Saudi Arabia has had rulers who oppressed their own people, especially the current king, King Abdullah, who maintains his power for the most part through US backing. So argueing that the west has not help to keep the middle east form advancing is a bad argument and in many ways blames the victim.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... this story makes it sound like the ham sandwich raped someone.

Seriously, what the!? OMG, this is bogus.
    - NeciFiX

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast