What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all i can say is...............WOW.........

Student Leaves Ham Sandwich on Lunch Table Near Muslims, Suspended for Hate Crime
Somali Muslim Students Highly Offended, Scarred for Life

A middle school student in Lewiston, Maine is being investigated by the police for a possible hate crime after he placed a bag containing a ham sandwich on a table where Somali students eat lunch. According to the school's superintendent, Leon Levesque, the student has been suspended, and more disciplinary action could follow pending the outcome of the investigation.

Muslims, who believe pork to be unclean and highly offensive, were reminded of a man who threw a pig's head into a mosque located in Lewiston last summer. "That ham sandwich in a bag where we couldn't even see might as well have been that pig's head," said one of the traumatized Somali students, "and that cafeteria might as well have been the most religious building for Muslims in the state of Maine."

According to Superintendent Levesque, "the school incident is being treated seriously as a hate incident." Police are currently investigating the matter alongside the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence, who is also working with the school to create an anti-ham "response plan."

"We've got some work to do to turn this around and bring the school community back together again." Said Levesque, "These children have got to learn that ham is not a toy, and that there are consequences for being nonchalant about where you put your sandwich."

"Placing ham where Muslim students were eating as an awful thing," said Stephen Wessler, the executive director of the Center for Prevention of Hate Violence. "It's extraordinarily hurtful and degrading. They probably felt like they were back in Mogadishu starving and being shot at. No child, Muslim or normal, should have to endure touching a ham sandwich."

Wessler continued, "incidents like this that involve degrading language or conduct are often said by the perpetrator as a joke. But unfortunately we don't live in a world where young children try to be funny, we live in a society in which these types of actions always escalate into violence against minorities."

"If people think insulting Muslims with ham is okay, more degrading acts will follow. The Jews had to go through the same thing when the Nazis would force-feed them bacon; do we really want our schools to become concentration camps?"

Added Levesque, "the incident does not reflect the moral values of the school staff and students. We need to take a look at this and review how a careless act is degrading and causes hurt to other people. All our students should feel welcome in our schools, knowing that they are safe from attacks with ham, bacon, porkchops, or any other delicious meat that comes from pigs."

According to Levesque, a letter has been sent home to parents to explain the incident and outline the school's response. The next step will be for Wessler to meet with the students to address the school's atmosphere, after which staff will discuss how to respond to future hate incidents, with emphasis on their prevention.

Said one of the students who witnessed the event, "I know the guy who put the sandwich there, he just wanted to be funny and see how those Somalis would react. I'm just glad that kid I beat up yesterday was white; I wouldn't want to be in that mess."

One of the victims, whose mother didn't want his name released, said "we didn't know what was in this bag. One of my friends reached inside it. It was a big ham steak. There were five of us at the table, all Somali. Right then, I could feel allah condemning me to burn for eternity for being within a 6.2 meter radius of ham, so yeah, it was a hate crime."

The boy said that he felt better after several students apologized for the incident and said that the kids who did it were jerks, "but for the rest of my life when I remember middle school, this will pop up right away," the boy said, "it's like I'm back in Somalia being shot at all over again."

This whole thing stinks of idiocy.

One of the victims, whose mother didn't want his name released, said "we didn't know what was in this bag. One of my friends reached inside it. It was a big ham steak.

Ummm.... Why would you just open a plastic bag and reach inside of it not knowing what was inside that clear plastic? Especially if it isn't your bag! Seriously, aren't plastic bags usually clear? Who goes around opening and touching the inside of a trasparent bag, especially if it vaguely resembles someones lunch?

There were five of us at the table, all Somali. Right then, I could feel allah condemning me to burn for eternity for being within a 6.2 meter radius of ham, so yeah, it was a hate crime."

Allah seems to have some pretty specific requests... 6.2 meters? Why not just go an even 6 meters? Or, to be on the safe side round up to 7 meters... or 6.5 meters... But 6.2 meters?!

xvart.

This has got to be fake. People in a situation like this would never make the statements like what was said in this story.

I agree with Ozzy. I mean, something like this just could never happen in the U.S. I am offended by the mere thought of such an offence against foriegn students who are just trying to get an education.
That would be a terrible hate crime which should be punished by stoning, amputation of the offenders hand or some other civilized method of punishment.

I agree with Ozzy, this has got to be fake. On the other hand who is up for ham tipped bullets and Spam armour ?

LMAO It would not surprise me if this did happen though. Good greif.

I can see this happening. the story is believable. What is unbelievable are the comments that the people say. They sound like they are made up to me.

Rattler, that proves my point. None of the quotes are in that news article.

its a later news article and i didnt get the two from the same source...........when ppl were doubting that it could happen i did a quick search for the towns newspaper and thats what i found confirming it did happen...........the search feature on their website isnt terribly user friendly cant find an article on where it originally happened........

I just can't believe that the following quotes would have been said in a situation like this.

"That ham sandwich in a bag where we couldn't even see might as well have been that pig's head," said one of the traumatized Somali students, "and that cafeteria might as well have been the most religious building for Muslims in the state of Maine."

According to Superintendent Levesque, "the school incident is being treated seriously as a hate incident." Police are currently investigating the matter alongside the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence, who is also working with the school to create an anti-ham "response plan."

"These children have got to learn that ham is not a toy, and that there are consequences for being nonchalant about where you put your sandwich."

They probably felt like they were back in Mogadishu starving and being shot at. No child, Muslim or normal, should have to endure touching a ham sandwich."

The Jews had to go through the same thing when the Nazis would force-feed them bacon; do we really want our schools to become concentration camps?"

All our students should feel welcome in our schools, knowing that they are safe from attacks with ham, bacon, porkchops, or any other delicious meat that comes from pigs."

"I know the guy who put the sandwich there, he just wanted to be funny and see how those Somalis would react. I'm just glad that kid I beat up yesterday was white; I wouldn't want to be in that mess."

we didn't know what was in this bag. One of my friends reached inside it. It was a big ham steak. There were five of us at the table, all Somali. Right then, I could feel allah condemning me to burn for eternity for being within a 6.2 meter radius of ham, so yeah, it was a hate crime."

The boy said that he felt better after several students apologized for the incident and said that the kids who did it were jerks, "but for the rest of my life when I remember middle school, this will pop up right away," the boy said, "it's like I'm back in Somalia being shot at all over again."

It's flamboyantly fake.

if you cant believe ppl actually make comments like that i should send you a copy of a school board meeting i attended and the paper recorded a few weeks ago..................im keeping a copy of that around for entertainment value alone :grin:

I can believe people make comments like that. I say stupid stuff like that all the time, just to be stupid and funny lol.

If it is true, which I don't think it is, then they need to shut up and grow up. And stop sticking their hands in hammy places. Personally I could go for a ham sandwich right about now.

I'm not saying people wouldn't say those things, but the the superintendent of the school board saying

All our students should feel welcome in our schools, knowing that they are safe from attacks with ham, bacon, porkchops, or any other delicious meat that comes from pigs."

You can't convince me that he said that.

dude................you need to work for a newspaper and attend school board meetings.......thats all i can say. you wouldnt believe the crap supposedly educated ppl actually say

BTW Ozzy, not arguing with you over wiether the statements themselves are 100% accurate, just saying it wouldnt surprise if they were, ive personally heard statements made by ppl holding the same and other offices that have been just as absurd

If there was one or maybe two of those statement , that may believable. But every statement was outrages. I don't see that many different people making similar statements.

I think this is really Ozzy's April Fool's joke for 2008. He's doing it early and has enlisted Rattler's help. :-))

All our students should feel welcome in our schools, knowing that they are safe from attacks with ham, bacon, porkchops, or any other delicious meat that comes from pigs.
This is ridiculously funny! :-)) :-))
LOL!

Back