What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all i can say is...............WOW.........

Where is the outrage about this type of liberal, politically correct BS?
Why are there not more people who have the stones to stand up and say, "Enough is enough."

Why are more people not standing up for the pizza shop operator in San Francisco who, when a local rapper put a 9 mm to his head, pulled his own weapon and wasted the convicted drug dealing SOB. I understand they there are going to indict the shop owner for murder. Good going SF.

This article is either fake or meant to anger Muslims, or I suppose really bad journalism. First the intent of the child changes from version to version. In the version posted here the child accidentally placed his sandwich there while the newspaper reports it as intentional. Secondly they forgot to capitalize Allah, which either shows great disrespect or a lack of knowledge on the reporter and editors part. Thirdly I am not aware of any sect of Islam that requires a specific distance be kept from pork only that one can not come in contact with it and that one must ritually wash themselves.

As for this being "politically correct B.S" these children dont have the right to sit and eat lunch without being harassed. What if they were Jewish and someone walked up and drew swastikas all over them would you consider that ok and any reaction "politically correct B.S." Also these children probably did not eat their lunches as a result of this incident as the food in contact with the table would likely be considered unclean. So these children dont have the right to eat lunch any more. How would feel about someone stealing their lunch would punishment for that be "politically correct B.S."?

Woah it's unclean because it touched the same table as ham? What about the poor kids who like ham? They can't use the same table as the Muslim kids? One could say filthy ham-eaters shouldn't eat ham in the same presence as a Muslim.. one could also say a Muslim should allow a ham-eater to eat ham out of respect for the ham-eater. So which is it? Is it OK to eat ham if it doesn't touch the table? Such are the wonders of seran-wrap I suppose.

Is there even a thing as a secular Muslim? I mean... it seems like with Islam it's sort of "all or nothing". I mean, OK sure the ham part is inescapable but... you know do ALL Muslims pray 5x a day? I mean.... why get up at like 5 am to pray? And why such a strict schedule? And there are sooo many rules. You've got to have discipline to be a Muslim, for sure. And why don't men have to wear any covering? And why do the women have to pray behind the men in the Mosque? I mean , yeah they say so the men won't be aroused when they are hailing Allah but.. I mean come on. It just seems sooo.. sexist. And yeah Nuns wear little nun hat things and I'm an equal-opportunity secular person and I think thats kind of.. well I don't want to say dumb but does God or Allah or whatever really care what you wear? I mean... why? What's the point? And whats with the 70 virgins when you die? What's up with that? They are all about Allah giving man permission to lead the woman or whatever (I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm not an Islamic scholar) but when they die they get like 70 chicks anyway? Is it just me or is something fishy?

I mean, I don't understand Islam. I mean, that's their deal and they should totally do it if it makes them happy but it seems so.. I dunno. Strict without reason I guess. I guess I just think all old-fashioned religious stuff, of any "western" religion is pretty lame. Eastern religion is cool and I believe in a lot of stuff like chi and prana and astral planes.

My friend just sent me this link and ... to be honest it's pretty much what a lot of people think about the middle east but are afraid to say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLoasfOLpQ

I'm sick of being so PC. Western culture is more advanced than that of the middle east. We have progressed farther. Yeah, you are an anthropologist and the politically correct "No culture is better than the other" is like saying a human is not more evolved than an ape, just seperatly equal. Yeah OK. Am I calling Muslims apes? ABSOLUTELY not. I'm using an analogy with evolution. We could also use frogs vs. amoebas if you'd like, or whatever. Am I saying the Muslim people aren't as advanced, no. I'm simply saying that out culture is more advanced than theirs. Yeah I said it.

Then again, this woman doesn't make western culture look very good at the same time. I can't stand people like her. She's a fanatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0yXm765LR4&mode=related&search=
I like how she decided to keep the money from the "darksided pagans" afterall :)

"I'm glad your home"
"GET THE HELL OUTTA MY HOUSE! In Jesus name I pray..." lmao crazy lunatic

Some people are way too sensitive. That's why I like to drive to soldiers' funerals and blast Black Sabbath's War Pigs from the stereo. You should see how quickly those bleeding heart, politically correct, mourners call the police. No, I don't actually do that because I'm not an jerk. We'd be better off if we had a lot fewer jerks.

So did someone accidentally leave a ham sandwich, as Rattler's original post said or was it ham steak left to insult the Somalis, as the newspaper site said? If it was the first, it's a great example of why fundamentalist religion should never be allowed anywhere near government power. If it was the second, the Somalis should still learn to relax, since they'll encounter worse things in their lives whether they live here or in Somalia. But the kids who did it are jerks and we'd be better off trading them for more Somalis.

I don't think it has anything to do with being PC. Part of this culture is the diversity and learning to live to each other. It's a freaking ham sandwich! Are they not supposed to go through the lunch line on days they serve pig products because it will bring them within 6.2 meters of that product? This is just insane. Living in modern times means interacting with people who do not share the same lifestyle as you. Obviously nobody should be harassed at any time, but if it turns out this ham sandwich was not intentionally used to provoke or harass these Muslim students then who gives a crap. Accidents happen. Too bad. So sad.

Of course, since we are analyzing this to death I wonder what that says about us? lol.

xvart.

I mean, I don't understand Islam.
Well, all their beliefs are because of a book on the teachings of some guy who lived a long time ago. Who would believe something silly like that? :poke:

I think it's kind of hard for us, growing up in the Christianity-dominated Western world, to really get Islam etc. I mean I totally see where you're coming from. I'm especially not a fan of the men-are-twice-as-valuable-as-women rule. But really, nobody on Earth knows FOR SURE what the deal is with the universe. As long as you're true to what you believe, and are respectful to others and what they believe, I think that's what's important. I say live and let live. ???

anyway, I don't think all Muslims are that strictly religious. My boss will disappear on Friday afternoons to go pray for an hour, but not 5 times a day. I met his wife once, she was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I'll ask him about the ham thing and get back to you guys.

It is real. I just told my dad and he's heard about it as well. Sadly this kind of thing is becoming more and more common. This is what i say; we should suspend the somalis for intolerance and ignorance. Seesh, what's happening to the world :censor:

More people have died in the name of religion than from anything else,

This is where our founding fathers had their greatest insight, to separate the two...it also worked in Turkey after World War One... so you can see a vibrant and successful example in both the Christan and Muslim worlds

What we have here is people taking advantage of the poor and uneducated of the world (on both sides, at one time we supplied arms to Iraq, Afghanistan etc. when it was in our best interest), when you have no dreams, no hope what would you be capable of

and that is what makes this war so terrible, when people feel they win if they die, how in the f@#$ do you combat that

It's going to be a long arse road mates, I've got a lot of friends in the sand box and their private thoughts and letters are not encouraging, they are proud and do their duty but most know that this battle will not be over in a month or a year

but we have no choice now, right or wrong the die is cast... this will be the struggle of a generation or more

just my opinion, nothing more
Av

edit: my apologies, my comment has nothing to do with a ham sandwich...

anyway, I don't think all Muslims are that strictly religious. My boss will disappear on Friday afternoons to go pray for an hour, but not 5 times a day. I met his wife once, she was wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

yah i don't get it when people think all members of any religion are hardliners. christianity has all kinds of levels, from amish sects to midwestern megachurches to the christmas-easter crowd and all the levels in between. judaism too... my boyfriend is a reform jew, but if he were part of the orthodox or hasidic jewish movements my guess is he wouldn't be allowed to date a nice christian girl such as myself ;)

unfortunately, for moderate christians and muslims, it's mostly the nuts on the fringes who get all the media attention these days. just look at the evolution "debate" :crazy:

Part of this culture is the diversity and learning to live to each other.

agreed there...I guess we need to know the whole story. Was the ham-sandwich-leaving kid purposely trying to upset them? I mean I could picture someone just being like, "Hey, guys, I have something for you in the bag." I could see that qualifying as a hate crime. On the other hand, if he was just eating lunch, well..melting pot.

edit: my apologies, my comment has nothing to do with a ham sandwich...

How dare you not address the business of this ham sandwich!!!

xvart.

JLAP many of the things you said about Islam are aspects of Arab culture not something strictly part of Islam. The treatment of women is a very good example of something that is an aspect of Arab culture and not necessarily part of Islam. Veiling women is something that Arabs interpreted the Qu'ran to proscribe so they do. However many women in more liberal countries such as Jordan do not veil any more. In Turkey, a predominately Muslim country I did not see a single veiled woman. Basically my point is make sure you are truly talking about Islam and not Arab culture. Arabs only represent about 20% of all Muslims. 70 virgins is a horrible mistranslation of the Qu'ran that is not believed by many Muslims. Oh and what standard do you judge more advanced by? Also "western culture" used force and politics to keep the middle east from "advancing". The west especially the US has done a lot to keep their economy from industrializing while stripping the region of its natural resources. The rest of the world had similar problems under colonialism hence the reason that N. America and Europe are the most "advanced".

Man, that's like blaming modern white people for slavery. It was HORRIBLE but the countries today aren't the same as the ones back then. What standard do I judge by? Technology, secularism, education, etc. Look at Dubai. Dubai is a GREAT example of what the middle east could be. Jordan is a GREAT country and is what iraq and iran should be. Pakistan should be more like India (which rocks!) It's not perfect but it's a start. Now some may say I'm an evil capitalist that wants to spread western culture... well yeah I guess I am! What is the culture of the middle east? Poverty and no booze? Why can't out cultures coexist? Why can't they enjoy western culture and keep their own customs (the good ones, then you'll ask who am I to judge what is good and what is not lol). EQUALITY FOR ALL!

What is advanced about middle eastern culture? What? What do they have that we are missing out on? When I see America, I see skyscrapers, a stock market, wealth, and happy fat people. When I see the middle east, I see a barren desert with a few top people controlling everything and lots of poor people.

SO WHAT if Americans have money? Are the worried that our rock and roll and money and scantily clad women are going to corrupt them? Corrupt them of a primitive society in many areas (not all of course)? Get down with the sickness man! What's wrong with western culture and why do they hate it so much? So what if we like sex drugs and rock and roll? Booze is good! Pictures of people are good! The way I see it, God or Allah or whomever anyone follows made alcohol, so it's sort of like a gift to be used and not abused. The naked human body is a beautiful thing (in theory lmao). Men an women are equal. Gays rock! Being secular is a good thing! Stoning is and cutting off hands is BAD!

I was confusing Muslim and Arab culture, and I'm sorry. I still don't see how we are not more advanced than them. It SUCKS over there! I say let 'em come here if anyone wants to get out of there.

How dare you not address the business of this ham sandwich!!!

xvart.

LOL, true...

so now must i remove all the beef before the Hindu student arrives in the lunch room,

must everything be Kosher before the Jewish child sits at the table

must all the meat be removed before the "veggie" child sits at the table

or what about the other gazillion different requirements that must exist.... heck I hate the smell of goat cheese, it offends me

after a while the table will be bare.....then where do we go?

basically, When in Rome you do as the Romans do or don't go to Rome

we didn't all of a sudden just start eating ham, but if someone puts a giant cross made of spam in their yard and sets it on fire, or they find a hog's head in their bed..... well then I'm with ya

unreal....

And I can't have sugar so we need to remove soda (oh wait, they already did that!) and candy and pie from lunch lines... blah blah blah.

xvart.

JLAP I dont think your an evil capitalist, a bit ethnocentric, but not evil. Western countrys still activly retard the advancement of many iddle Eastern countries. As an example take Saudi Arabia. Now as for Iran, it is a fairily democratic country whose people hate their president. Ahmadinejad got to power by promising to redistribute the oil revenues to the people versus keeping it locked up in powerful hands. He has not carried through on this promise, imagine that a politician who lied. The people are more than likely going to sweep his party out of power completely, but they are doing it through democracy, I consider that pretty advanced. Many manufactured products come from Iran like air conditioners, electronics, and so many other products which are produced in fairly modern factories. The US and many other western nations however will not import Iranian products for mostly political reasons. Iraq, well Iraq is a mess and its not all their fault, the way it was handled was all wrong and everyone but anybody who knew anything about the middle east hence the mess its in now. As for "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" as well as alcohol, they are choices everyone makes and there are many people in the US who chose not to use them and many Christians also think they are "evil" so dont pin that just on Islam. Rejection of those things does not make a culture "primitive". You are only pointing out the bad parts of middle eastern countries. I am not saying they are great I am just pointing out that you are only seeing the bad due mostly to the anti-Islamic slant of our media.

As for removing everything, if the Muslim students choose to sit alone at a table without anyone eating pork there they have that right and other should not violate it. Just as other groups can sit away from things that offend them.

I think america sucks personally lmao. It's western culture I like not america i'm so fond of :) The Dutch are the freest people in the world!

Those uptight Christians can kiss my sinful behind :)

I just love how this whole thing revolves around a ham sandwich. Just saying ham sandwich makes me laugh now.

xvart.

Everyone knows Ham is Satan's lucheon meat of choice.

Along with oliveloaf.

Back