What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the? Plant sensory?

• Thread starter NeciFiX
  • Start date

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Okay, so, a guy took a lighter and electrodes and hooked them up to a plant (I have no idea what kind) and on a machine, the rest is very unclear, but it went something like this: the screen jumped up and down like a persons heart does when trying to be jolted back to life, and the plant wasn't moving.

Maybe it's possible to communicate with plants... just like pets. Of course, you might not want to listen to me, for I'm in the nut house right now on the computer, and my hour is almost over.

So what do you think about it?

They did this on Mythbusters a while back. The plant did have responses to a few of the tests they conducted.

xvart.

no it was with a electrical dohicky ,not music

They did one with pea plants where they talked to them and played music for the plants. They also did one where they hooked up a tree thing to an "electrical dohicky" and like slapped the plant. lol

-Ben

On mythbusters they attatched a lie detector to a plant to see if they could spook a reaction out of it. The only times they got any sort of result was when they physically struck the plants, so those results are useless right there. Later on they showed pretty definitively that there was no real reaction, IIRC.

Wouldn't worry about it. lol

The only times they got any sort of result was when they physically struck the plants, so those results are useless right there.

That's right. Thanks for the correction. It was one of those times I was more interested in what the two hosts were doing rather than the minions. I think that was the episode where they were seeing if a taught wire could cut a person in half if it snapped.

xvart.

So I suppose talking to plants isn't bad.

Maybe my Nepenthes won't pitcher because they don't like rock/heavy metal music.

Or not.

I just talked to them, I felt silly. It in fact got me in the rockers spirit. I should do it more often.

there was also a mythbusters episode where they tested plants' reaction to music. The results were awesome!

D: Really? Funny because I was just talking with some people about this VERY episode about 3 hours ago and how bad the results were. lol The plants stopped getting water after such a short period of time that the side of the cotyledons/seed probably had WAY too much of an effect. I would take the results from this one with a boulder of salt.

We are talking about the one where the water timer breaks so all the plants dry out, right?

lol I apparently know the mythbusters a little too well. :p Great show, lots of fun and has some good science, but every now and again they make a major, obvious SNAFU. Remember to think critically always. :)

I apparently know the mythbusters a little too well. :p Great show, lots of fun and has some good science, but every now and again they make a major, obvious SNAFU. Remember to think critically always. :)

That's why I like how they have the mythbustsers forum where viewers can critique their processes and make suggestions about how they could improve or modify their tests.

xvart.

That little dorky dude is annoying. What's his name? Grant? What a nerd.

The other dude is hot. Like the elusive hot nerd of ye olde legend. And that chick looks like a ferret.

Jamie looks like a walrus. Actually he looks like my old biology teacher, who incidentaly, also looked like a walrus. I guess you could say Jamie looks like Mr. Deaver. Yes, His name is Deaver. If he had a pet beaver the jokes would never end!

Mr. Deaver had a pet beaver who had a fever. Do the la-la-la-la-la-la-la.

And that chick looks like a ferret.

I think she's kind of hot in a weird sort of way. She's not my number one type, but she's definitely... "intriguing." lol.

xvart.

How'd we go from plant sensory to Mythbusters to nerds to ferrets to nerdy chicks almost half naked?

Oh this will be like 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon.

You talked about plant senses, which was done twice on Mythbusters, which is a show by nerds for nerds, and one of the nerds looks like a ferret, and TripleX likes that ferret woman so I linked him to some sexy ferret woman pics.

I did it! I solved the riddle!

I almost picked up some book about the secret life of plants or something stupid like that. It was in the new age section and was some pseudoscience crap. As much as I love the new age section I thought it was best not to trust a "scientific" book found there.

Riiight.

We might as well talk about how ferrets are mammals and how mammals get eaten by carnivorous plants such as N. rajah to link on back, then use N. rajah to link to a North American pitcher plant and then roundabout that to something else and I suck at this game.

She doesn't look like ferret, and if she does, bring on bestiality, l which would end up me going to court for my neighbors goats, and I will have to pay child support..

I've backspaced about 6 times with 6 different responses... and all I have to say is now...

"Blue is a cool colour, red is a warm colour."

They really stick you on alimony and child support man. I feel for ya.

If blue is a cool color, and red is a warm color, is purple a room-temperate color?

Back