What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
For CP's I mean,

I mean, some people LOVE a specific genus but can't grow it if their life depended on it. I seem to be a pretty good Sarracenia grower, one of my plants has about 8-10 new pitchers coming in, another has one. All my Dionaea are living, but must be in poor shape as none of the traps work (now in the sun though woohoo!) I also seem to suck at growing Drosera, my D. capensis has a little dew on it's new leaves and two flower stalks, but that's it. On the other hand, my P. John Rizzi is constantly pumping out new leaves (I had one that was just about to lay out and open right before I went to school, 7 hours later, it was almost done!), I've even had a ping flower in about two weeks after receiving it, of course, this ping was my primuliflora, but succumbed to a moss attack and died I believe, darn. I can grow Nepenthes ok, they LOVE sending out trillions of leaves, but 0 pitchers. Grr. On the other hand, my Cephalotus seems the least of my troubles. I am very good with watering when it comes to keeping the media drier and wetter. It's moist, but not damp on the surface. It's caught plenty of bugs.

So what do you suck at growing, and what is your profession? Share here.

I believe I read "Justlikeanumber" or something post that he sucked at Dionaea but was good at Sarras, so it gave me the idea for this topic.

Well, being from western Oregon I grow Darlingtonia pretty well ( actualy more like weeds :-D ) and Sarracenia grows real well. I can't seem to keep D. angelic though ??? . VFT's are okay if you don't let :censor: aphids suck the life out of them. Jack

was it justlikeapill or not a number? I think you combined the two. lol

Indeed. Justlikephil.

Hmm, great question. Well I have the honor of saying that I did not kill my first CP, which was a Venus fly trap...but it wasn't that I was "good" at growing them, rather I sensed that there was something more to growing a VFT than what it said on the package. So that's really more of a factor of using the Google and living in Oregon lol. I still have my first Ceph which I got in December, and it's doing nicely. I've heard many people kill a few of those before they get it right. My Adelea (spelling?) is very dewy, and in most pictures I see of them, they look a little dew deprived. I tried to grow a Darlingtonia in my room..here's a piece of advice, "don't do that." Yeah, ever since it died I've been a little reluctant about getting another one. I also bought a sickly green Sarracenia purpurea. I put it outside, and it's starting to turn its natural color now. So I guess I could say that my profession isn't really a particular plant, rather it's having a good overall "grower's sense"

Well the only plants I have are neps, so I guess I have a knack for nep. I am ok with droseras and vfts, but I suck with dormancy. They grow fine all year round and when dormancy comes, bam they are dead .

Indeed. Justlikephil.

Just like HoustonHerp will always be "Nike" since my typo one fateful day, Cliny, you will now be Phil.

My first plants, a very very sick poorly cared Ping Primuliflora growed great until it died from mold. Since then, only I've killed that Ping, and one Nepenthes which died and rotted to it's core.

All of the CPs in my plant shelf are growing incredibly well, including my darlingtonia, that thing is spitting out pitchers like crazy. I think I'm worst at growing sarrs since.. I think I killed all the ones I had by putting them outside. Or they could just be late in waking up... I really hope they are.

I killed all my mexican pings, so im no good with them. I do OK with temperate ones

darlingtonias for this kid....although I have none at the moment.

I seem to excell at Orchidioides and Iperua section Utrics, tuberous Drosera and Mexi-Pings. I am pretty good at petiolaris Drosera too.

I killed all my mexican pings, so im no good with them. I do OK with temperate ones

And I find them to be the easiest CP's to cultivate. Sundews are also pretty easy.

Just like HoustonHerp will always be "Nike" since my typo one fateful day, Cliny, you will now be Phil.

He's just mad because I was picking on him for being 13 earlier :)

i have a general nack for Utrics........at one point i prolly had 40 some species and varieties and had bloomed roughly 2/3 of them. recently started on the Orchidioides and Iperua section Utrics and for the most part they are going well though ive lost a couple and ofcourse they were the ones i wanted to see bloom the most.

my approach is generally ignore my plants. i sit and baby a few but most i just glance at and make sure they have the appropriate amount of water. i grow my Mexi Pings wet year round........ive killed most of my VFT's even doing my best to keep them alive. down to a single one that i decided i dont care about........its getting close to 2 years without a dormancy and still healthy looking under florecent lights.......maybe i should start propogating that odd thing.....oddly enough my best growing and only successful Darlingtonia was one i gave up on right away and ignored.......as soon as i tried babying it a bit it died............ive just decided ignoring the damn things brings me better luck.....

the main thing's i've got are sarra hybrids. they all seem to do well, except for the one my parents killed when i went on holiday.

the thing i'm best at is quite predictably growing drosera capensis. i let them produce seed last year, what with it being the first year they had been old enough to flower, and now they are turning up everywhere. they're actually beginning to become annoying.

I think I grow most things well... except Aquatics. Been having trouble growing those indoors under lights. But all the other Plants I have seem to be quite happy and healthy.
I do have an affinity towards Regia's.. and I think I grow them pretty well too.

Utrics don't seem to like me. I have a livida and a lateriflora and both of them are alive but they're UGLY. Barely green at all... well not on the surface. Don't use translucent pots. x_x;

clear pots have nothing to do with anything with Utrics, i grow several in 1 gal glass jars, have used clear pots in the past.................either they arent getting enough light or you gave them to much to quickly and fried them would be my guess

I think Sarracenia or flytraps are probably the easiest for me thanks to my climate.

One plant that I'll probably never be able to grow is Darlingtonia. :cry: Please, if anyone out there has a Cobra plant that loves it hot, let me know!!

Now that I think about it I can't grow many highlanders or Heliamphora either.. :(

Back