What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, I've been surfing eBay a lot lately and I've noticed some things that sellers do that are really annoying and frankly, they sometimes completely deter me from buying whatever item, if I had the intention of buying it in the first place.

First off, my biggest pet peeve when it comes to eBay is TALKING LIKE THIS!!!!!! ONE CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH OF THIS CRAP!!!!!!!! IT'S ANNOYING AND SOMETIMES A LITTLE HARD TO READ!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen many listings where the ENTIRE description is in capitals. I don't really know what they're thinking when they type like this. It's like they're trying to imitate those ANNOYING car salesmans on TV, and no one listens to them. D:< I can understand a little, but not a lot! A few well placed caps sentences is okay, but not the whole freakin' description.

Second. Making things sound better than they really are.. like say.. "15 FRESH VENUS FLYTRAP SEEDS!!! ULTRA RARE! PAYPAL ONLY!!!!!!!" Is just ridiculous, any CPer knows that venus flytrap seeds are anything but rare. If you can't find someone to GIVE them to you then there's places you can get them for like a dollar. This is false advertising, and I don't like being lied to. I can assume that the intended target is NON-CPers but that just makes it worse. Taking advantage of CP newbies is just cruel.

Third. Making the shipping cost outrageously high to make up for your super low eye-catching buy it now price is not only frustrating, but just plain ridiculous. It DOES NOT cost 7 dollars to ship seeds to someone. I could do it with under 2 dollars, easily. Probably even under $1.50. A 7 dollar shipping price would be more like for a nice sized healthy nep, not drosera seeds.

Ahh.. okay I'm done ranting.. unless I think of something else. I'm sure there's others that you guys have noticed. Feel free to rant like me. :p

INDEED! THERE IS ALSO SELLERS WITH THEIR 98.4% FEEDBACK, THEIR USERNAME AS "SARRACENE" EVEN THOUGH THEY CAN'T SPELL SARRACENIA RIGHT AND THEIR

Listing Name: (This was in an actual auction) Carnivorous Plant Seeds Venus Flytrap f. RED ULTRA RARE
ULTRA RARE

IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ANYWHERE

AWESOME

VENUS FLYTRAP 'ALL RED' SEEDS!

IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND FIRST TIME OFFERED ON THE INTERNET ANYWHERE.

FIVE SEEDS INCLUDED!!!!!!!11!!!!! GET NOW!!!! BIDDING STARTS AT 5.02$ WITH 10$ SHIPPING!1111!!!!!1! ALSO: CHECK OUT OUR OTHER FIVE SEED EXCLUSIVE OFFERS! DON'T WORRY! THESE SEEDS AREN'T DORMANT, AND NEVER WILL REQUIRE STRATIFICATION. THEY WERE HANDPICKED YESTERDAY.

My message to the guy: They aren't rare

Him: dear necifix (dont you love people who cant sign off via a proper username)

theyh are rare in australia

btw, there is more than 1 variety

~sarracene

How this guy gets tons of bidders, I will never know, especially on his "ULTRA RARE" 10 (OMG! PREMIUM!) SEED OFFERING of S. purpurea ssp. venosa.

And, if they are rare in Australia, why is the idiot selling them internationally?

I hate it when I see a VFT for sale for like 25 bucks. :glares:

:-))

Yah, listing a VFT for 25 bucks would be ridiculous. But if it is bidded up to that... What is the seller to do? :p

Good point. I certainly wouldn't swindle myself out of some good money because people on eBay are idiots.

What is the deal with putting WOW!!!!!!!!!! in the header? I've never understood why one would waste the finite number of characters alotted on that crap. It is often the auctions that are clearly junk too.

Yeah no one cares if the seller thinks it's amazing. He/she could be an idiot for all we know. So the "WOW"s are pretty useless. :p

Enthusiasm is misplaced so much. xD

It's worse if you collect Star Wars toys, the CP shenanigans are nothing compared to some of the stuff in the toy auctions- people selling a "MASSIVE LOT OF 100 FIGURES< MANY RARE" will usually post up a few grainy pics of big piles of what looks to be mostly useless junk, with the odd "teaser", a barely visible arm or leg of something SUPER RARE. Usually these auctions are a total scam, the buyer ends up with a box of lousy McDonalds Disney toys or something and maybe the severed arm of a figure that would have maybe been worth something if it had been complete

OH and does this mean my "SUPER RARE OCTOPUS PLANT SEEDS" are NOT worth the 75$ I paid for them ???

:D

Third. Making the shipping cost outrageously high to make up for your super low eye-catching buy it now price is not only frustrating, but just plain ridiculous. It DOES NOT cost 7 dollars to ship seeds to someone. I could do it with under 2 dollars, easily. Probably even under $1.50. A 7 dollar shipping price would be more like for a nice sized healthy nep, not drosera seeds.

Yes. Often times when you realize the insane shipping costs it is too late to do anything about it. Not enough people look at shipping prior to bidding. I once was looking at a poster/print from this poster/print selling guy and his shipping costs was like $15. I didn't think it costs that much to roll a piece of paper and shove it in a tube. Anyways, I asked him if he could itemize his packaging and shipping costs so I could see exactly where my money was going... Needless to say I never heard back from him...

xvart.

I hate it when you see a price in Euro's and mistake it for USD and pay a lot more on stuff than you expected on an RO untit.

I hate it when you see a price in Euro's and mistake it for USD and pay a lot more on stuff than you expected on an RO untit.

Hypothetically speaking, right? lol. That would suck. Isn't the exchange rate like around double?

xvart.

I think I paid about 40-50 dollars more than I thought I would :(

Ahh oh well. Lesson learned.

And I hate it when someone has 2 of the same plant, with the same description, but their buy it now prices are different lol. Come to think of it, I hate it when someone doesn't have a buy it now option. When I look through Ebay I rarely even look at things that don't have a buy it now button. I don't like competition lmao.

I hate it when I spend the money to list an item with a buy it now price, just to have someone bid on it and the buy it now feature to go away. IT'S EXPENSIVE!!!111ONEONEONEELLEVEN1

BIN PRICE COST
US$0.01 – US$9.99 US$0.05

US$10.00 – US$24.99 US$0.10

:p

It's stupid when people bid instead of using the "Buy It Now" when the buy it now price is completely cheaper.. it's like they're looking for competition! I actually kinda like bidding on stuff but I HATE that maximum bid thing. It's so cheap, it's like auto bidding. :/

I also hate losing. :p

Back