Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CFL Warning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben i was being a smart ****. i wouldnt worry about one or even a couple bulbs..........main reason i am interested in them is i use them over frog tanks and if one breaks over top one of the tanks(more than likely do to my clumsiness than anything) its enough mercury in with the frogs that there could be issues.....................one or two broken bulbs over a year prolly wont mean much at all....................also brought this up as an FYI when all these bulbs start hitting the dump over the next few years............when most households in the US start using them it could definatly be a potential problem
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your seriously that worried get this clean up kit if you're not worried enough to spend $37, then it's obviously not a big deal.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've broken light bulbs before and just look at me, I'm fine!

On second thought you better order that clean up kit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forget the kit. It's actually pretty easy to do yourself. All you need is some sulphur powder which is easily found in drugstores.

Pick up the glass shards (probably wearing gloves or so.) Sprinkle the powder wherever the mercury went or may have gone. The sulphur power is non-toxic, non-flammable, so it's ok if you go overboard (zinc powder, the alternative, IS flammable.) While watching out for shards of glass, use a disposable towel to work it in to the affected area then wipe it up (it's bright yellow, so it's easy to see.) Sulphur is of no danger to the environment, and the mercury picked up by the sulphur is a) also rendered pretty inert, and b) there's only a small amount. Though you may be able to just throw it away, it would be worth calling the hazardous waste place nearest to you to see if they'll pick it up or are available for drop off.

After that, just open up some windows and you should be fine. It works for labs, and I've heard of it working in homes just fine.

.... On second thought *looks at Clint*... I'll take seven, please!
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this might be a little exaggerated. This is from GE's website:

What should I do if a CFL breaks?
    Because there is such a small amount of mercury in CFLs, your greatest risk if a bulb breaks is getting cut from glass shards. Research indicates that there is no immediate health risk to you or your family should a bulb break and it's cleaned up properly. You can minimize any risks by following these proper clean-up and disposal guidelines:

* Sweep up—don't vacuum—all of the glass fragments and fine particles.
    * Place broken pieces in a sealed plastic bag and wipe the area with a damp paper towel to pick up any stray shards of glass or fine particles. Put the used towel in the plastic bag as well.
    * If weather permits, open windows to allow the room to ventilate.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_li...act.htm#breaks
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grat graph ChronoKiento,i dont want merury directly in my home, but then i again i have no way of knowing how much from power plants gets into my home. I just use them because they are cheaper in the long run.

This also goes to show how trustworthy Steven Milloy really is- sounds like his thoughts are not just alarmist, but also not worth the time it takes to read the article.

When industry dumps mercury into the environment, he says there's no research to show any sort of health effect. When conservation efforts implement a bulb that uses trace amounts of mercury, he starts talking about brain damage and calls it one of the most poisonous forms of pollution.

That's an incredible demonstration of rank hypocrisy.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't take the credit for those links. :P
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast