What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pippi's Big Adventure with PICS!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I'm sure you guys are getting tired of Pippi but these were too cute. This is her big day out, and the first time she's been outside since last summer (If she gets below 70 degrees she could die so that's why she only gets to run around in the spring and summer)

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01880.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

Heh, that's cute. Does she dig for worms and bugs (I think they eat those...) or does she just walk around?

-Ben

I won't let her eat anything in the yard because of parasites like Gordian worms and stuff.

I hover over her as she walks and protect her from ants lmao. She has GIANT thighs and they look like butt cheeks when she walks.

:-D lol, how could I get tired of looking at something that cute!

Yeah, when I was younger my sisters had guinea pigs...we used to let them scurry around in the backyard during the summer... lol, pippi kinda' reminds me of a giant guinea pig.

She's about the size of a large grape fruit and she weights... I'd say 2 pounds.

wow... the pictures make her seem larger than she really is lol.

She is adorable! I could never tire of looking at photos of Pippi. Hope she had a great adventure!

xvart.

I though it would be either a pet in a bog garden or a trip to a cp bog.

_oh how cute!!!! pippi's got a big booty :))

Sorry to disappoint you Ant.

Thanks guys. It was really hard to make her be still lol. I few shots were just her gigantic butt where she was crawling off before the camera took a pic.

Does she walk really slow or something? Or is she tame like a dog?
Don't laugh if that last thing sounds really dumb, I don't know anything other than they're spiky.

She's as fast as a guinea pig. I guess you could call her tame, but not like a dog. They've only been domesticated for 10 years :) She likes to snuggles and play but she gets scared at the slightest thing (like the noise from a lighter or someone walking into the room) and puffs up and headbutts if you piss her off and when I take a shower you can see white pinpricks on my finger. Yes it hurts but she's worth it when she lets me kiss her tummy and face.

She's as friendly as a hedgehog can possibly be :)

Snuggling? Ouch.
And I'm afraid to let my Jack Russell of the leash; anywhere.

When she's relaxed her quills lay flat and in one direction. When she's upset they will raise and criss cross and that's when it hurts.

They are glossy and they very tip is like clear, so when they are erect and the light hits them just right it's really really cool.

Awww! Not fair! Hedgehogs are illegal here. D:

I tried to get one about a year ago. I called like 40 pet stores but then I realized that they're illegal. D:

Yeah, you have to have a permit in GA to have one, too.

Something to do with cattle, even though they are all bred domestically and are legal in Montana and Wyoming. Go figure.

do you ever need to use tweezers to remove the quills kinda like you would a splinter?

Here my brother got an anbino one. It kept escaping and every time (a day or 2 later) my dog rocky would drop the spiky escape on her feet unharmed.

No, her quills stay in her. They aren't barbed like a porcupine and don't come out when you get poked. Occasionally they fall out because they are just modified hairs and then they are replaced.

"In Pennsylvania, USA, hedgehogs may not be imported into the state, but hedgehogs in the state as of 1992 and their descendants are at least theoretically allowed. In practice, enforcement of this law has been rumored to be arbitrary and ill-informed."

There is still hope!!!! I did find a place in Maryland that had some, but breaking the law is something I'd just rather not do. A private breeder I must find!

Back