What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wife aint happy with me..................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
went out to my uncles to help brand calves today.......told the wife i would prolly only wrestle 2 out of the 130 or so calves...........well it was just as much fun as i remembered and wound up wrestling a dozen or so...........didnt get kicked in the knees so im alright but the wife wasnt to happy about it..........especially when my brother and i waded in after one of the last ones not waiting for the ropers and grabbed her by hand.....she was a big one too, prolly 140 pounds......the wife was pissed :grin:

ive got photos if ya'll want to see them but realize that branding is a messy process and if i do post the photos i dont want to hear any crying about animal cruelty............will only post the majority of them if requested to do so..........here are the "harmless ones"

my great uncles new horse, Cowboy. great horse, insisted in getting his ears scratched by everyone......here he is looking for a beer during a break
Untitled-12345.jpg

some youngins doing it by hand and not waiting for the ropers
Untitled-31432.jpg

Untitled-4265.jpg

the reward for a job well done.......my aunt is an excellent cook
Untitled-5154.jpg

and a lil friend my brother found on the way out
Untitled-1.jpg

Looks like fun! No rules against animal cruelty on the boards so I wanna see some more!

how bout i leave out the ones with fire visible :grin:

here they are running the cows through........putting on fly repellent, new ear tags ect.......(my brother is center in the first pic hands on the rail)
Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

my brother on the head me on the rear legs
523414.jpg

assorted pics
Untitled-11432.jpg

Untitled-254.jpg

Untitled-31423.jpg

Untitled-42134.jpg

awesome pictures. Its not animal cruelty any ways! Not until ranchers can afford to buy how ever many micro chips and the equpiment for them. But even then Brandings the cheepest and esiest way. and Racnchers dont have money to waste on the electronics.

actually legally in MT they have to be branded.........to just 'chip them, if it were possible my uncle would be breaking the law by not branding..................

Wow, didnt know that, good deal though.

Looks like you all had a lot of fun...

its fun in the way tackling big guys in football is fun..............its hard work but ive been doing it since i was big enough to........as bad as my knee are this is the only one i go to anymore and thats cause my aunts cooking brings me running........there were a dozen other wrestlers and at 25, i was the oldest doing alot of wrestling. my brother, who is 17 and a bunch of other guys his age did most of the work but once i got started i couldnt help myself. given my knees i couldnt hold the head but that wasnt much of an issue since we had plenty of help......if someone else grabbed the rear legs before i could while helping to drag one in i would just hand over the calf to someone else to pin down the head

Of course it's kind of cruel and people who don't eat meat and wear leather and so on should feel free to say they don't like it. But worse things than branding are on the way for those calves.

I think it's cruel... but I ate a giant steak today so I can't really complain :)

express displeasure and get into a drawn out argument are two different things.........i have less of a problem arguing it with you Bruce since i know your a vegetarian..........however if you eat beef dont complain about the pics..............

Sounds and looks like very long hard work. But looks like you had fun.

Why don't you people ever think of how the animal feels? How would you feel if twenty bulls came and tackled you, held you down in the dirt? Would you think that's cruel? I am so disgusted that I can't say anymore about it. I going to get a cheesebuger!

By the way is that a bull snake?

:banana2:

dude........ive had momma cows take issue with me before when i walking the pastures during calving season............aint much fun praying that during your running slide you aint going to get hung up in the barb wire fence :grin:

yep, fine example of the bullsnakes we got around here...........was about 4 foot and unhappy about its current predicament.............not sure what my brother wound up doing with it, prolly turned it loose before he left........iit took lots of restraint not to turn it loose in his buddies truck before i left the ranch :grin:

Since I cook a steak for my daughter every few weeks and wear leather on my head and feet, I'm not going to complain about branding. My problem with the animal-industrial complex is because of how things are done further downstream.

OOOOOO

That brings back memories of branding time at a freinds ranch when i was little. It was such a big event and so much fun, even for me, though i was too little at the time to help.
The action, the food, the people, must have been a blast!

Looks just like a scene from Discovery channel. I imagine it was a lot of fun. Did you step in any "cow pies"?
That plate of food looks real good, but but certainly not enough calories to sustain a hard working cowboy. I hope you went back for seconds...and thirds. :clap:

Hey Gemini_Girl, it says in your profile you like rats. Want to see something cool???

Super Cool Rat!

Gemini girl, my message was intended to go into a little more depth, perhaps i was too blatant. The real message is rattler is free to post his "day of ranching" as far as I am concerned. So you just settle down over there and chill.

Back