What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i might could have another sapphire or two but seems to me they about started a war last year :grin:

Can someone tell me if this is how the process works (I am a bit confused with the “donation” term)?
-Someone has a plant or item.
-He/She enters it into the auction.
-Members bid on the item.
-The auction closes.
-The winner of the auction pays the money (including shipping) to the person that submitted the plant or item.
-The person then sends the plant/item to the winner and the money to the NASC –OR- does the NASC take care of the transaction (between the money and plant)?

So in simple terms, one donates his/her plant to a member (the auction winner) and the proceeds go to the NASC. I am right? If not, can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks.

The winner of the auction sends the money to the NASC appointed auction treasurer, who then informs the plant owner that payment has been received. The plant is then shipped to the auction winner.

At least, thats how its been done in the past.

EDIT: Shipping fees are handled between the winner and the plant owner I believe. Many donators offer shipping as part of the deal. Depends on the individual in that case.

your right!

EDIT...ninja

Thanks! Sounds good. I’ll keep an eye out for anything that interests me.

Thanks again!:)

Uh...how about rewording that to "anything they would like to offer as a donation to NASC."

lol. Yeah, but if anyone wants to truly "get rid of" some trashy specimens I'll gladly provide my address to them... lol.

Whatever happened to KrotchetKat? That yarn vft she made and she talked about offering it up for this auction.

xvart.

Just out of curiousity, is it illegal to put up ESA/CITES protected plants for auction?

Just out of curiousity, is it illegal to put up ESA/CITES protected plants for auction?

Absolutely not, assuming you provide the appropriate ESA/CITES permits for them.

Bid increments are, of course, a rule of the auction. It always has been. Ebay is no different; they use bid increments as do all online auctions. "Real" auction businesses don't allow you to bid by cents either. Maybe some of you have not been to a real auction but they would not accept a bid of $25.25 over a $25 bid. These businesses understand you can't have people bidding just a few cents over a high bid. Bid minimums are standard auction rules.

It has absolutely nothing to do with greed. It has to do with practicality. Without that rule, in ANY auction situation, you would have some people outbidding by a few cents. While the vast majority of people understand this auction is a charity and many bid very generously, we still need to set a minimum bid and I think the minimum bids are reasonable. They are similar or the same as what online auction sites use.

Joosa, we will have the rules posted in just a few days. Its really very easy. Items listed in the auction are the donations; those are the items that are GIVEN (donated). People are free to bid on the items which in turn raises money for NASC. Shipping fees, when asked for, go the person who is donating the item. The money for all the ITEMS goes to the NASC Treasurer. NASC does not receive shipping fees. But many people who donate items also offer to pay shipping. I've never asked anyone for shipping fees on my items.

Steve, I don't know exactly what happened to you. You didn't come to me about it so I don't know the details--who bid what and who said what. We have all the moderator/admins helping us during the auction, but if anyone has any problems or issues, it would be best to contact me (I'm running the auction) or a moderator who is also a NASC member (Ozzy, Schloaty, Est). These are the people MOST familiar with the rules and procedures.

If there are ever any questions or problems regarding bids, bid increments or any aspect of the auction, anyone can come to me and I'll help you.

The rules apply to everyone across the board. No one is exempt from them so its an even "playing field." This year it is mandatory to read the rules before participating. Then you can decide if you want to donate/bid or not.

This is a totally voluntary, FUN event for those wishing to participate. :)

Steve, I don't know exactly what happened to you. You didn't come to me about it so I don't know the details--who bid what and who said what. We have all the moderator/admins helping us during the auction, but if anyone has any problems or issues, it would be best to contact me (I'm running the auction) or a moderator who is also a NASC member (Ozzy, Schloaty, Est). These are the people MOST familiar with the rules and procedures.

If you want to discuss it.. come on Yahoo and I will PM you there.

Steve

Absolutely not, assuming you provide the appropriate ESA/CITES permits for them.

what about if one of those plants is offered and the person putting the plant up paying for shipping? the plant is technically a gift...
Alex

I figured that since it was a donation it may be ok but if a plant can't normally be traded across state lines than you can't put it up for auction, right?

I have no permits or anything by the way.

Awwwwww! Ain't it cute?? I was gonna trade this off but it fell though. His loss is NASC/bidders win!! :-O

HAHAHA the thumbnail looks like a little piece of hamburger on the BBQ- IS that poor little guy in harms way Andrew ;) ??

hahaha- yeah it does kinda huh? I think I should increase the thumbnail size of uploaded pictures to the forum. That would be nice probably :)

No he's well taken care of, there on one of the racks in the g/h getting full sun, good humidity and pure water... WHAT MORE COULD HE WANT? hehe

Last edited:
LOL I thought it was a hamburger on a grill too! :-)) However, that is a NICE looking falconeri! Beautiful. And thank you for the "preview."

Just another bump!

I guess I can donate Cypripedium acaule (pink lady's slipper) if anyone wants to take a risk at it. I've sent them to 2 other of our members 2 years ago and one year ago and they are alive to this day AFAIK. Most people have bad luck with wild-collected plants but I could go to the backyard and take some (we have oodles, and it's our property).

Back