What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mars Petition

• Thread starter Alexis
  • Start date

Alexis

Mars UK have now incomprehensibly started using calf rennet in the manufacture of their chocolate, which means that vegetarians (6% of the UK population) and various religions can no longer eat Mars bars and other confectionary.

Why chocolate needs calf stomach in it is beyond me, but they just sent a letter to the vegetarian society and carried on shipping the now meaty bars with no mention on the wrapper.

Sign the petition below to bring back veggie Mars bars!

http://www.petitiononline.com/MarsWhey/petition.html

The European Union wanted to classify UK chocolate as 'vegetable fat' because of the lack of cocoa in it! I think the Belgians and Swiss were getting a bit high and mighty over their high cocoa content choc.

I personally prefer dark chocolate and like chocolate with 70% cocoa in it, although that's too bitter for some.

Unfortunately those online petitions do no good. :( Petitions aren't valid unless there is a verifiable snail address. Its some poor soul's job to go through signed petitions and verify the addys. A better route is to actually WRITE the company. Post a PDF of pre-written letter people can print and sign along with address to send it to. The name of a person to address it to is even better. That is more effective...just takes more effort.

Hi Suzanne

People who email and write get a standard letter.

There are three main chocolate companies in the UK - Cadburys, Nestle and Mars. Suddenly a third of the market isn't suitable for 6% of the population!

Awsome!!! People power!

I think it's an enzyme from a calf's stomach.

rennin is the enzyme, rennet is a soln. (extract) containing it.

Ohhh so it's stomach extract. Even more appetizing :puke: :puke: :puke:

These are usually veal calves as well, and some meaties stay away from veal too.

Back