What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RO system, worth it?

musamusa1975

michael1975
I asked only b/c I was researching RO units--I'm debating whether it's worth getting one. Right now I'm going through about 3-4 gallons of distilled water a week. Would an RO unit eventually pay for itself?

ps. Just thinking that this should probably go to the general discussion board....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I saw you mentioned this should be moved to general, (from that topic in trade) so I created a topic and moved it for you... :)

An RO unit will pay for itself, period. You'll get thousands of gallons from an RO unit before having to replace parts - I think it's really just a matter of how long it takes for it to pay for itself. I got my RO filter for about $180 with some accessories, and using seven or eight gallons a week (much more in the heat) it's already nearly paid for itself in the first year. Now that it's handy, I use RO water for just about everything - plants, drinking, cooking. I really only use tap water for washing stuff nowadays.
~Joe

It's well worth it to get a R/O filter.
I got a 100 gpd filter for about $120 from ebay with 4 gallon tank and everything I needed to hook it up.
It has payed for it's self about 4 times over in the last year alone.
You don't have to worry about wasting a little bit of water flushing out your pots.
I also use mine for drinking, coffee, tea, fishtank, and other things.
One of the best investments I ever made.
PM me for my source if you want, very good custemer service from the guy I got it too
peace,
Zero:)

You can say here who it is, if they do not sell CPs....
And I would like to add, do NOT buy form http://www.purelyh2o.com/ (i think his ebay name is purelyh2o) the system I bought SUCKED. Brand new it was putting out about 55ppm of tds. He promised me a replacement membrane but months of reminding him.. nothin. I ended up putting money into it for a new membrane and trading it to another member here. Worst waste of money ever... I've tried to buy a bladder tank from him since... and he won't reply to my messages. so i guess he remembers he owes me something.
Andrew

Not yes but HELL YES! It saves a lot of weird looks when you buy 10 gallons of distilled water at the store, but your arms aren't as strong from hauling those jugs around :)

If you need more water output... a booster pump does WONDERS!! I have 2 bladder tanks in the g/h and I could store about 8 gallons. Now with the booster pump I store about 14... And it produces water tons faster too.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Back