User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And so begins 8 months of nail biting....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow how nerve wracking... yet wonderful...

i hope your ambitions and endeavours will yield success...

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're in NY, isn't Cornell the usual target? Tufts is where people in New England go.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys lol i'm sure i'll be filling everyone in as the process moves along....

yes, Cornell is the usual target for NYers and it's certainly my top option, if only because i'll have guaranteed awesome roomates if i go there (frankly, i just want my danged degree and i don't care where i get it from) however, even though i have better odds at Cornell being a NYS resident, Cornell specializes in large animal/ag medicine, and most of my experience is in small animal, critical care and exotics.... i.e. they like cow vets, and i am not a future cow vet by any stretch of the imagination there are only three vet schools in the entire Northeast though- Cornell, Tufts and UPenn - so I'm applying to all three of those, plus U. Illinois (good small animal program and they like my college apparently) and probably OSU or maybe Michigan. past that my bank account will be empty
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We go to a group of vets in CT and every one of them or almost every one of them is from Cornell. Only one specializes in large animals and one dabbles. The rest are classic dog & cat vets. Ithaca isn't cheap, but housing has to cost a lot less there than in Boston and probably less than in Philadelphia too.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck

I know how nerve racking first filling out applications that will determine the rest of your life and then waiting months to get responses as I filled out my grad school applications last fall. Although Anthropology is less competitive than veterinary school its still awful to drain your bank account applying and then waiting just to get a pile of rejection letters. I did get in but until I got that letter I was sweating it cause I dont want to make antennas anymore.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    herenorthere- yeah i know there's lots of small animal vets who come out of there, i work for a number of them, it's more of an admissions thing... there's a nationwide shortage of bovine vets at the moment, if you proclaim a love of cattle and your experience reflects that, you're still not a shoe-in BUT it certainly helps your case and yeah, i'd MUCH rather pay resident tuition and Ithaca costs of living, but like i said... i don't care much about the program, it's such a competitive track that none of the schools are "bad" in any way. whoever wants me, gets me!!!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12