User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so begins 8 months of nail biting....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And so begins 8 months of nail biting....

I don't know how much I've advertised it here but all my life, all I've ever wanted to be was a veterinarian.... and this is The Big Summer, the summer of applications, letters of recommendation, and wrestling cows and all manner of other domestic mammals for animal experience (ok, i've been doing that for several summers, but this is the last one that counts! ) Tufts University has their app. online already; VMCAS, the big common app, goes up June 2nd. I'm SO nervous... I have to fill out these two beastly applications, write 3-4 essays, round up all my letters, study for and take the GRE, and pray, PRAY that my overall admissions portfolio is up to snuff come the fall. Veterinary school is just so ridiculously competetive... this is literally all I've ever wanted. I've busted my butt just to get this far, and it's never far from my mind that even my best might not be good enough. I've been serious about this all along, but all of a sudden, with those websites going "Sign up now to create your 2007 application"... MY application... geez, this is it, huh?

Come January, when decisions are made, I'll either be the happiest person alive or I'll have to start aaaaalllll over again...
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Congratulations on making it this far! Iím sure youíll have no problem getting into vet school. Just keep at it! BTW, is it true that there are only a handful of vet schools in the US? I remember one of my department advisors mentioning that to the incoming freshmen.

I wish you the best of luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks joossa yeah.... 28 schools in the continental US i think? plus a handful offshore in the caribbean. each school has under a hundred seats, half of which are reserved for state residents (nearly all of the vet schools are at land-grant colleges, so it's a tax thing i think). it's INSANELY competetive... most vet students actually don't get in until their 2nd-3rd try.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best wishes to you, moonflower. ive always wanted to be a vet. i was told that vet school is more competitive than nursing or pre-med. im sure you'll be ok.

i looovvee animals but i dont think i could ever, if i had to, put an animal to sleep.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. That's one of the many things I wanted to be when I was young, but then I went off in a less biological direction. A friend of mine ~20 years ago started a MS in wildlife and planned to go to vet school afterwards, with the goal of working with wildlife diseases and so on. If I remember the sequence of events correctly, he then decided he was more interested in the diseases than the wildlife, so applied to vet school before finishing his MS, but didn't get in. Then he switched from wildlife to microbiology. By the time he finished that degree, he decided he liked being a microbiologist better than being a vet and never applied again to vet school.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals ó but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like you've worked hard enough to make it. I hope you do. I'll bet you'd make a great vet. I love animals but I'm too soft hearted for that job. :-/

But I tell you I sure appreciate my vets...especially the one who pulled Jonah through when he was critically ill with pancreatitis. I've never been more grateful.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be rooting for ya! It may be a matter of knowing someone who can bring you in as an intern, just to get your foot in the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Congrats and good luck!
    "But I like being Evil....It makes me happy" Venom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast