Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NASC Auction info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question withdrawn... I didn't realize they all ended at the same time..
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I have a feeling one stubborn person is in charge of deciding this, and the rule will remain how it is...
    And who would THAT be? Me? No its not inflammatory at all to call someone stubborn and imply that one person is in control of the entire NASC auction alone without knowing all the facts. Actually ALL of the rules were reviewed, updated and approved by the ENTIRE NASC Board. The starting point was the previous year's rules and they were updated based on the input we got from last year. I was ASKED to run the auction...it wasn't something I particularly wanted to do this year as I have a lot on my plate these days. But I agreed to do it along with the assistance of everyone on the Board and the moderators here as well. I happen to be the one doing a lot of the posting at TF but that doesn't mean its all "my" show. All Board members have been involved in this endeavor although it might not seem like it judging simply by posts on the TF forums.

NASC meetings (weekly) are open to everyone and we take suggestions, ideas and criticisms from anyone who wants to participate. We welcome and need member participation to achieve our goals. If anyone doesn't like something, there are more effective ways to make changes than grousing about it after the fact. I am unaware of any NASC Board officer being approached with issues regarding the bid increments from the previous 3 auctions. Any NASC Board member can be contacted via the website, www.NASarracenia.org, and several of us are Mods here and can be contacted via PMs. So we are all available for comments and suggestions. Even better--get involved and come to the meetings! This auction has been thoroughly discussed for months at meetings plus heavy email discussions.

As a number of people have stated in addition to myself, bid increments are SOP for auctions.
    Last edited by PlantAKiss; 05-21-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone seems to have missed the point. I don't really care about the increments, I care about the amounts of the increments. $5 on $50 is 10%. Even eBay's increments start at 2%, then decrease. 10% is really friggin high.

You know, I would join the NASC and come to the meetings and take this up there blah blah blah, but I guess this is one of those "pick your battles" things. Yeah it pisses me (and some other people) off, but having to pay to join an organization, put in lots of man hrs, etc (with probably no results) seems like overkill and a waste of my time. Judging how NASC does things sometimes, my complaint would probably get cuaght up in a bunch of red tape, and then ultimately after months of waiting and working, nothing would happen.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as I know (pretty dang positive) there is no "fee" to become a member... You just put your name in that topic they have. And then go to the meetings. To do that you just PM PAK on AIM and then be on your computer when the meeting starts and you're invited to the meeting. I've sat in on a meeting or two, even though I'm not a member just to check it out. I just sit there and read what people say. So you don't even have to be a "member" to check it out. It seems pretty formal, check out the "meeting notes" stickied in the NASC forum.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point about bid increments. If I had to explain eBay's small increment, I'd say it's because eBay is trying to mesmerize people into bidding a little bit more and driving the prices even higher. Kind of what we want to do too, although we don't want leave someone feeling guilty the morning after. Maybe we could do it too if we had automatic auction software that would handle a large number of bids without consuming pages of the forum. Until then, we know what the NASC bid increments are and will bid accordingly.

As for the NASC membership thing, that's the nature of every new organization. It looks like nothing is happening because of all the time required for organizing. And the few people motivated enough to do a lot end up doing everything.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... even if it is 10%, it's still just five bucks. If I couldn't afford an extra 5 bucks here or there for a bid increment, I wouldn't be buying 50 dollar plants.

I think I only have like.. 28 dollars left anyway. Damn lol. This is why my parents tell me to "Save your money!"

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    As far as I know (pretty dang positive) there is no "fee" to become a member... You just put your name in that topic they have. And then go to the meetings. To do that you just PM PAK on AIM and then be on your computer when the meeting starts and you're invited to the meeting.
    This is true. I attended one online meeting quite a while ago and was really interested in continuing; but unfortunately this semester I had overlapping meetings in real life. Regardless, everyone in the meeting was real nice about having an "observer" since I really didn't contribute much of anything. lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since I brought the issue up initially I will chime in here with my opinion.

My feeling is this is a charity auction. As such, the charity should be glad for ANY bids it gets. Not force people to bid what the charity would like them to bid.

I read a while back someone saying that 1 dollar bids would be "tedious". Why? Its not like the bids have to be individually and manually loged into a ledger or anything. The last highest bid at the end of the auction wins. If there are 200 1 dollar bids, click on "last page" of the thread, scroll to the last post before the end of aution time and voila.. a winner. How is that "tedious"?

Has the bid increment ever been polled to the TF populace? If so, I don't recall seeing it. Since we are the primary source of bidders in the auction, I feel it would be nice if we had a say as to what the bid increments should be, and not have it left up to a handfull of NASC board members.

If the goal of the auction is to raise the most possible money for the NASC, I do not see how a rule which causes people to refuse to participate helps further that cause.

Just my $.02
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast