What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Auction info

That's a good point about bid increments. If I had to explain eBay's small increment, I'd say it's because eBay is trying to mesmerize people into bidding a little bit more and driving the prices even higher. Kind of what we want to do too, although we don't want leave someone feeling guilty the morning after. Maybe we could do it too if we had automatic auction software that would handle a large number of bids without consuming pages of the forum. Until then, we know what the NASC bid increments are and will bid accordingly.

As for the NASC membership thing, that's the nature of every new organization. It looks like nothing is happening because of all the time required for organizing. And the few people motivated enough to do a lot end up doing everything.

.... even if it is 10%, it's still just five bucks. If I couldn't afford an extra 5 bucks here or there for a bid increment, I wouldn't be buying 50 dollar plants.

I think I only have like.. 28 dollars left anyway. Damn lol. This is why my parents tell me to "Save your money!"

As far as I know (pretty dang positive) there is no "fee" to become a member... You just put your name in that topic they have. And then go to the meetings. To do that you just PM PAK on AIM and then be on your computer when the meeting starts and you're invited to the meeting.

This is true. I attended one online meeting quite a while ago and was really interested in continuing; but unfortunately this semester I had overlapping meetings in real life. Regardless, everyone in the meeting was real nice about having an "observer" since I really didn't contribute much of anything. lol.

xvart.

Well since I brought the issue up initially I will chime in here with my opinion.

My feeling is this is a charity auction. As such, the charity should be glad for ANY bids it gets. Not force people to bid what the charity would like them to bid.

I read a while back someone saying that 1 dollar bids would be "tedious". Why? Its not like the bids have to be individually and manually loged into a ledger or anything. The last highest bid at the end of the auction wins. If there are 200 1 dollar bids, click on "last page" of the thread, scroll to the last post before the end of aution time and voila.. a winner. How is that "tedious"?

Has the bid increment ever been polled to the TF populace? If so, I don't recall seeing it. Since we are the primary source of bidders in the auction, I feel it would be nice if we had a say as to what the bid increments should be, and not have it left up to a handfull of NASC board members.

If the goal of the auction is to raise the most possible money for the NASC, I do not see how a rule which causes people to refuse to participate helps further that cause.

Just my $.02
Steve

Just my $.02

I'm sorry, Steve; but, $0.02 is not enough for the designated increment! lol. :-)) Just kidding, I hope that joke isn't in poor taste, but I thought it might bring a little humor to a moderately sensitive subject.

xvart.

Thank you Bruce. :) You are correct. There has been a lot of work going on. And considering its all on a volunteer basis while people have their day-to-day lives (jobs, kids, school, illness, forums, etc.) to attend to as well, we haven't done too badly. There is no pay nor even a free plant for all the people-hours put into this. And we will improve as time goes on. This is a long-term project. I am certainly glad that we DO have people willing to do the work as this is all about conservation of Sarracenia which is very important. At least we have people who are TRYING to do something positive to keep these beautiful plants on the planet. What's that saying? "Better to have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all."

We actually tested auction software a couple of years ago and Phil could not get it to work properly so we had to abandon that idea.

JLAP, that $28 could buy something. hehe

Has the bid increment ever been polled to the TF populace?

As stated previously, TerraForums has no connection with NASC. Phil and Andrew both have generously donated space to NASC to contribute conservation support. The forums are just a communication venue. We also have a forum at the ICPS boards and our website. The auction, its rules and operation are strictly a NASC production. Anyone who wishes to discuss anything about NASC can do so by attending the meetings. We take votes on issues at almost every meeting which is open to anyone. TerraForum members do not dictate NASC policy unless they do so by participating in the NASC meetings.

Again, the auction is totally voluntary and we have not lacked for both donations and bidders. Most people just find it a fun thing to do and end up with some nice plants to boot. And again I'll state that we (NASC) have never received any complaints about bid increments. If we had, we could have addressed it with the Board and supporters, discussed it and perhaps the rules would have been different.

Last edited:
Well I said my piece. The decision is obviously made. Enjoy the auction. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

I think everyone seems to have missed the point. I don't really care about the increments, I care about the amounts of the increments. $5 on $50 is 10%. Even eBay's increments start at 2%, then decrease. 10% is really friggin high.

Ron - As someone who has helped with running quite a few LIVE auctions for our local herpetological society, I can tell you that this increment amount is not out of line. And the flip side of your argument is that bidders who are REALLY interested in a particular item aren't going to quibble over a larger bid increment. If the difference between $50 for a nice plant and $55 for the same nice plant is too much for someone, then don't bid! But there are plenty of people out there who are willing to follow these rules. I have ALSO had people walk out of live auctions, and it was very plain that the reason they were walking out is because of what they considered 'nickel-and-dime' increments made by some bidders, which made the entire auction run slower.

I also think you're missing the big point: the entire goal of the auction is to raise money for the NASC...a non-profit organization that wants to make a difference!

You know, I would join the NASC and come to the meetings and take this up there blah blah blah, but I guess this is one of those "pick your battles" things. Yeah it pisses me (and some other people) off, but having to pay to join an organization, put in lots of man hrs, etc (with probably no results) seems like overkill and a waste of my time. Judging how NASC does things sometimes, my complaint would probably get cuaght up in a bunch of red tape, and then ultimately after months of waiting and working, nothing would happen.

Man, you sure didn't mind touring my greenhouse last weekend, and seeing the fruits of many NASC volunteers' labors. I guess I should count myself as fortunate that there ARE people out there who feel that this cause (or whatever cause they believe in) is worthwhile. Otherwise everyone would just sit in front of a television to learn about Sarracenia. Of course, by that time, they will be seeing video footage of bogs that don't exist any more.

As far as your complaint getting caught up in red tape, that would most certainly NOT be the case. We (the NASC Board of Directors) discuss things fully, and invite input from all who attend the weekly meetings...member or not. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the decision will go the way any one person wants it to go. That's why we have a 9-member BOD, and not just one person who is making all the decisions.

I'm not sure what the real issue here is, but I think your comments about the NASC - an organization that you have no personal knowledge of, and that you are not involved with - are not relevant. It's kind of like someone complaining about the way a US president is running things, but then not voting when the next election comes up. If you don't like things, no matter what they are or what organization they involve, GET INVOLVED!

I apologize in advance if anyone finds my comments inflammatory. But it really bothers me when someone wants to sit back and complain about things, but not become involved and try to change things. Especially when that person doesn't mind coming out and taking pictures of plants that the NASC is raising, and that NASC and other volunteer groups have freely given of their time and efforts to help raise.

No I don't find them inflammatory. Thanks for the clarification, sending you a PM...

Back