What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

todays gas prices..............

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
I would like to know why the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Guam don't get representation in congress.

Puerto Rico is a common wealth and likes it that way. They get most of the benefits of being a state in the Union, but about none of the hassle. I believe that they have had, and continue to have every opportunity to join the US, but the status quo seems to be nice enough all around. They even get military protection- not a shabby deal, as far as I know.

So they are happy not being able to vote? Thats a bunch of crap. And Guam and the VI?

We'd need a new flag if they ever became real states lol.

wow I would love to have to pay what you call the "highest" gas prices in the US. Currently regular is 3.65/gal and premium is 3.85/gal here in Michigan. I wonder how you got that title with lower gas prices than ours LOL.
I am originally from michigan and am contemplating moving back to the midwest. California is getting pretty bad with all the arcane laws and high prices,etc... A friend I knew in the Navy told me to skip Michigan and go to Wisconsin. He was telling me that Mich. has high taxes. And I thought the peoples republic of Kalifornia was bad...

michigan, the midwest? out here enything past Minnesota is eastern north America. Michigan and Ohio are Midwest wannabe’s.

Michigan taxes I believe are comparable to other states around such as Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, etc. Unless of course you run a business that is smaller than GM, Ford, or Chyrsler in which case they will tax your business to death will paying the big 3 when they show losses.

The fact that we have high gas prices is due to our distance from oil refineries. Gas has to be shipped a long way and that cost is passed on to the consumer.

As for Michigan not being a midwest state, your state couldnt even get along with itself and had to break into two LOL. Actully Michigan falls into the midwest culturally and lingustically probably more than S. Dakota, Not to mention we used to be the middle of the western US. in the 1800's

Most people would say Illinois is Midwest, but the southern end of the state is closer to Mississippi than to Chicago and the people there are more Southern than millions of Virginians. Even though Connecticut is considered New England, my years in Maine make me realize CT is more New York than New England. But some people here are as New England as anyone in Maine. You just won't find them in a $500,000 house in a postcard village, unless they're caretakers for the owners from Manhattan.

Getting back to the topic, there's actually quite a lot of refinery capacity in the Midwest. There's that word again. I think most is in IL & IN but, with all the pipelines crisscrossing the country, distance from a refinery adds very little to the price at the pump.

had to break into two

same with Michigan. Its broken into two :-D

and the dividing was done because of increasing population
Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889. The two centers of population in the territory were in the northeast and southeast corners of the territory, several hundred miles away from each other.

midwest culturally

K.... what would you define midwest culture as?

Per gallon prces are really coming down!
thumbs_up.gif

Less chatter in this topic when prices come down 'eh? ;)

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56260

Hey, I like the idea of a "tax holiday".

I'll only agree with a tax holiday if there's a tollbooth at the end of everyone's driveway.

3.44 on memorial day weekend out here ni eugene...

3.20 right now at the shell down the street (and that is the cheap one!)
they go as high as 3.52 a gallon over here.

$2.89 Regular here.

$3.21 for regular here. Down from $3.35 early last week.

I really don't understand what you New Worlders keep bellyaching about. Gas is almost TWICE as expensive all over Europe, and do you hear THEM moaning? Sheesh....

Hans@Good thing I left Europe 20 years ago :)

$4.50 and holding here on Alaska's Bering Sea coast.

They can be but currently its Sockeye Salmon that are on the table, the run just started here and fuel prices will unquestionably drive up the prices you will be seeing at your local seafood market this year.

Back