User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I ordered a new PC! Any good typing programs out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats alkot of power every year I get a new pc I want to totaly overhaul my core dou 1.6 ghz 1 gig of ram in a few monthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The primary advantage of Word and its siblings is that just about everyone uses them. Word also has a much more user friendly thesaurus than WordPerfect. WordPerfect's advantage comes from [Alt][F3], which is "reveal codes". But if you're the kind of writer that gets it right the first time and doesn't do much formatting and editing, it isn't that beneficial. On the other hand, I format and move things around a lot and the ability to see those codes is awfully helpful in repairing the collateral damage of cutting & pasting. I use Word at work, because that's what we have, but I bought WordPerfect for home.

I think the gap between Word & WordPerfect has narrowed considerably since WordPerfect's peak in the 1990s. I need the codes but I'd otherwise be drawn to the Microsoft package. WordPerfect's Presentation isn't completely compatible with Microsoft's Power Point. I've created slide shows in Presentation and saved them as Power Point files, yet they were totally screwed up when I tried to show them somewhere that used Power Point. That really sucked. I didn't pay for a database, so don't know how WordPerfect Office's version compares to Access. But it's probably much easier to find someone to help you figure out Access. Excel and WordPerfect Office's Quatro seem completely interchangeable.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spend a lot of time on the computer and you'll be typing 60 words per minute in no time! Or like 4 years.

4 gigs is an unnecessary amount of RAM right now. I've got 2 gigs and have yet to see any sort of laggage besides from my video card, but that is not related to RAM. I would not recommend getting 8 gigs for a VERY long time. It's just a waste of money on unneeded power.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    4 gigs is an unnecessary amount of RAM right now. I've got 2 gigs and have yet to see any sort of laggage besides from my video card, but that is not related to RAM. I would not recommend getting 8 gigs for a VERY long time. It's just a waste of money on unneeded power.
    In general, yes. If this were just for word processing and email and even gaming, this would be much more than strictly needed for anything. However, when we're talking about video / image editing and the like (as it appears we are in this case,) there is no real "too much."
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    Just spend a lot of time on the computer and you'll be typing 60 words per minute in no time! Or like 4 years.

I think you missunderstood the question. He is looking for a word-procesor program, not a typing tutor. Also, Swords is an artist, I expect that he will be doing quite a bit more than playing video games, balancing his checkbook, or visiting TerraForums... In his case there really is no such thing as "too much".

As for the original question, I have both Wordpad and WordPerfect. Both of them work well enough for my needs, but I do not really do a lot of writing. One drawback, and I don't know if I just have not located the right button to do this, is there seems to be no way to alphabetize a long list. Several months ago I decided that it was time to create a list of all of my DVD collection. I was about 100 titles into the list when I realized that I could not alphabetize them with the program.. thus began the tedious process of cutting and pasting the titles into the proper locations and then inserting the remaining 300 or so titles into their locations individually.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks for all the replies folks!

I'll never be doing 60 words a minute, I've been typing/doing layouts on the PC for 15 years doing metal magazines and I still hunt & peck!

I'm gonna be doing music recording & digital art on this new PC but still gotta type stuff up sometimes or have a short charachter history to work out to help me visualize a sculpture or picture. I never knew about the alphabetize function of MSWord, I'll have to see if my old version here has that, as alphabetizing my record collection is a chore I hate to do. I gotta start reading more manuals...!

Does anyone here have a drawing tablet/digitizer to do painting and art with photoshop, Bryce, Lightwave 3D and such? I'm planning on ordering the Wacom Intuos3 6" x 8" model digital paintbrush/pen & tablet. My painting program manual says it can use any tablet/digitizer as long as it has a Win Tab Driver. Does this simply mean a Driver for running a Tablet under Windows? The Wacom.com site has drivers for all the windows operating systems but nothing called "Win Tab" exactly, is that just a general name for the type of file?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 GB does seem like a bit much.

A good place to practice typing on the web is www.typeonline.co.luk

I was never aware anything below 100 WPM was uncommon. I typed 90 WPM at age 10 and now 110 WPM at age 13 using a standard QWERTY keyboard.
    - NeciFiX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12