User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I ordered a new PC! Any good typing programs out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered a new PC! Any good typing programs out there?

Hey folks, I finally got my room entirely remodeled (hence my dissapearance) I tore out the 35 year old neon orange shag carpet) repainted the once white walls, put in vinyl tiles and pretty much unpacked everything but I can't find my camera's memory card so i can show you what my new spot looks like!
    Anyway, I've just made an order for a art/music workstation. It's a quad-core processor "xtreme" system with 4 GB of Ram (I can upgrade to 8 GB later but I'll wait til Rams a bit cheaper first) and a dual video card for CG creation software.

Anyway, as per my instructions my custom build will only come with Windows XP Pro 64 bit OS installed and no other software. However I would like to have a good typing program for writing compositions (with spellcheck!). Does MS Works (MS Word in particular) come as part of the XP Pro OS or do I need to go find a similar typing program? If so, is there a program any of you can suggest?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the retail version of Microsoft OS only comes with the OS. Well, and the basic word stuff so you can read "read me" files and such (word pad, note pad) I use microsoft word 2000. It works just fine and has all the other "extra" like excel, power point, access...
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Open Office is free, works well, and you can save as just about every filetype under the sun.

I hope you enjoy your electricity bill! lol! Congrats on the new computer, that beast is gonna be FAST. lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 850 Watts a lot of electricity draw for a PC? That's how much my power supply will equal if I need the secondary power pack for the graphics card. The guy said if it doesn't need it after he sets it up and tests it he'd refund my cash for the seperate video card power supply then it'll only be drawing 600 Watts. I hope the computer will be nicer than a big box store PC which is the only kind I've ever had. Since I wanted to turn my traditional art studio into a digital one I figured why not spend a bit more and get one that hopefully shouldn't be as buggy as another best buy computer (mines 3-4 years old too) so hopefully it won't be obsolete by the time I plug it in! lol

I don't need power point or spread sheets or any of those things (I don't know what those programs do!) but a nice typing program that has a personal dictionary and thesaurus would be cool. Do they sell MS Word as a stand alone program?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS Word is sold as a standalone product. But do look into Open Office. I installed it on one of my computers at work and it is good.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPerfect is perfect.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with Microsoft Word. The only reason you would want to go with Word Perfect is if you have some personal hatred against Microsoft rendering their products completely out of the question. I used a version of Perfect a few years ago and I thought it was terrible. Of course, I can't remember why or what reasons left such a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm not much help.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is 850 Watts a lot of electricity draw for a PC?
    Well, yes and no. The thing with power supplies is that, as I understand it, wattage is really the least informative way of describing the power supply in terms of "will it give enough juice to all of my hardware." On top of that, there's a craze among people to have power supplies with high wattages (same people who get LED lights. ) A power supply with a high wattage is gonna use a lot fo electricity, but it's the amps that "count" in terms of powering your hardware. As I see it, considering the fact that you're going to have a quad core, two video cards, and a lot of ram, I figure that a high-rated power supply is probably correct. Wouldn't surprise me if what you end up with is something around the numbers you've given. It's good to see that the dude is going to test things out for you and see what you need, regardless.

You'll have to let us know how it works out. I've got a dual-core AMD, fairly-high-end graphics card, and 2 gigs (got a free gig today, lol!) of DDR2 RAM, and nothing is really able to slow me down too badly, so I can imagine you're going to be having a good time. lol BTW, do you know what types of hard drives you're going to be getting? HDD bottlenecks can leave a lot of power unusable, and is a bad time.

I'm glad to see that you've got a USE for a powerful computer. It alwayd irks me when people buy high end computers so they can check their email. :-\ For this reason, I'm sure you can see why I got a good chuckle when I read your specs and you were asking about word processing software.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast