What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the death of Christianity

I think no-one has the power or the business to tell anyone what constitutes a 'true christian', or a 'true' anything. Who are they to tell us what the "true" form or a religion is, because that inherently is a biased remark. Many people believe their version is the 'true' form but that doesn’t make it so

Thats not a just directed at you but a observation on terminology.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it as that, but when people call themselves 'true Christians' then I go ahead and aknowledge them as true Christsians

As far as Darwinism being a religious belief... no. It's a scientific theory not a religious dogma. You don't worship Darwin. You don't believe that you will ascend into a higher plane based on your evolutional ideas. No, That's like saying quantum physics is a religious belief. You can be a Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. and still believe in Darwinism. It makes a hell of a lot more sense, to me at least, than God poofing all of the living beings into existence in one day. IMO, people thousands of years ago did not know about evolution, and they couldn't explain the diversity around them, so naturally, the easiest way to explain it for them would to say "God made it all in one day!" They couldn't explain how the sun, Earth, and moon were formed so their answer was "God made the Heavens and the earth in one day".

so you're telling me that what I believe to be my religion isn't a religion? you're telling me that what I established as my own religion isn't a religion. Isn'r something considered a religion if someone believes in it. Or do I need a group of people to say, "yeah I guess that it'll do."?

and it's called Darwinism because we accept his idea of evolution. Hinduism doesn't worship Hindu(?) it worships a bunch of gods. Catholicism doesn't worship Catholic(?) it worships God (Catholic God). Darwinism (or my Darwinism) is a bit more of a bulit up athiesm.

And JLAP when you say that you're secular you live life as if religion never existed, but deep down inside you live your life like how you can, because you know that your God will accept you into heaven. But for the more religious people, they do whatever they can to get into their 'holy land' or good after life. Athiests however still do generally the same thing, but we aren't worried about where we end up after we die (or maybe just me). I personally think that we just die and that's it. But I still wouldn't go around killing people because I'm not afraid of the consequense in the afterlife. That's because I'm worried about the present life.

We all live by what we believe to be the right way of life.

I'm worried about the present life, too. I think atheists rock. They make a hell of a lot more sense then most Christians for damn shizzle lol.

Let's keep science and religion seperate. You can't take science (theory of evolution) and call it religion. Not in a litteral sense. Metaphorically it works lol. Darwinism is not a theology, it's a theory. The theory of relativity is not a religion, either. Atheism isn't a religion either. If atheism WAS a religion, then every person alive who was not mentally handicapped would have to have a religion since there would be no alternative. It's "one who believes that there is no deity." You could call that the absence of religion or the antithesis of religion.

As far as the way I live my life, I pretty much do whatever I want and whatever makes me happy. I don't recommend that to the crazies out there lol.

Atheism isn't a religion either. If atheism WAS a religion, then every person alive who was not mentally handicapped would have to have a religion since there would be no alternative. It's "one who believes that there is no deity." You could call that the absence of religion or the antithesis of religion.

but what about the people who are Shinto or Animists?

relgion is defined as many things but these two are the ones that I think of it as:

re·li·gion
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

in Christianity one believes in God, but in Athiesm one believes in no god. So we both have an idea of the Supernatural or a supernatural being, they just happen to be different

lol

ok I have to get out of this!
I'm sorry, but I'm booting myself out of this thread.
I want no more to do with it.
lol
good game!

*poof*

Kami can be translated into Gods, and for animism it can be seen as a belief or philosophy and not a religion. Animism can be interpreted most generally as the belief in souls, so I guess I can be called an animist.

I win!

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. - Proverbs 14:12

Hrmm is that directed to me or just in general?

it's not directed towards anyone. I saw that a thread on the death of christianity didn't have one piece of scripture anywhere.

I don't know even know anyone on here (other than Victoria), and I am not in the practice of throwing stones at anyone.

If someone wants to worship oranges, go ahead.

What do you think about all of these, without just quoting scripture? I mean if that's your thing that's cool but what are your personal views on all of this?

I never understood why so many Christians just spit out scripture and don't really want to speak their own thoughts on anything. It's like they are hiding behind the Bible or something. Not to say you are, because I don't know you. Just something I've noticed.

Darwinism is not a religion, although some may think so. It is a theory which is a belief, no matter how you argue it. In a sense beliefs involve science because they are tested by logic, although some people may find anothers beliefs illogical. For example, Tesla had some ideas I'm sure others thought were illogical but his deductions(logic) was spot on. God even asks us to test ourselves to see whether or not we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5). Many Christians will quote the Bible because it is their thoughts exactly. The word of God is known as the Sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17) and it cuts (Hebrews(4:12). I did quote scripture earlier in this thread, however not entirely. I said "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." I left out the part about ", but fools despise wisdom and instruction."( Proverbs 1:7)

I generally ignore these neverending often repeating religious debates because I'm usually regaling with the spirits of the water and the wind- but hey, I wasn't doing anything so I read through it. Just a question not meant to offend anyone or set anyone off on a major tirade:
"Many Christians will quote the Bible because it is their thoughts exactly."
- Is that because they have been taught or indoctrinated that this is their religion, so that must be their thoughts? Surely nobody on their own generates a thought pattern that mimics the bible exactly.

Some people may read the Bible and believe it word for word without any indoctrination. It happens all the time.

Without question? I don't know, that seems like a simple mind to me that accepts something like that without any question or logical reasoning as to how they came to conclusion X.

I don't mean indoctrination like a cult brainwashing thing, I mean you are taught this from Sundayschool on so as a child you generally accept it and it becomes your way of thinking because that is the way your family thinks. Sort of like my grandparents voted republican, my parents voted republican, so gosh darn I'm a republican type of deal that's all you've know so thats the way it is.

See above where I mentioned reasoning and how others may see an illogical deduction where one may see logic .Beliefs and theories are the building blocks of religion and science as applies to logic.

Some people explore things on their own, kind of off the beaten path people like myself, maybe you as well.

Logic? Come on now Zappa, don't tell me that you see perfect logic out of an invisible being that created everything from nothing at all, and for the icing, has no beginning and no end? Please don't tell me that is logical because if it is, I'd like to hear the logic behind that.

Religion doesn't have to be logical but for the love of God people, think for yourself, don't just do something because you learned in Sunday school that you are supposed to.

I do see God(creator) as logical. Whether a person sees logic as a type of science from God or their own mental powers is up to the individual. Regardless, the testing of our beliefs and theories are good, some inventions are real after the fact, maybe even God and His Son and His Holy Spirit. Logic is a type of science and I know we all will not reach the same conclusions for we think differently. However, God says He can speak directly to many through His word and they can think the same for they will have the mind of Christ.(1 Corinthians 2:16). Sorry I'm not a fast typer.

Lol, I think your replies are damned fast when you are on!

So are you saying that God may exist because people believe he exists?

God may exist in spite of peoples beliefs as an invention exists in the mind of the believer and not the scoffers.

I believe there are 3 demonstrations(in the sense of scientific/logical proof) of God to believers and non believers. To the believer (present fellowship with the Lord), in the afterlife(fellowship with the Lord in Heaven).
To the unbeliever there is (separation from God in misery forever). The proof of scientific evidence for the non believer occurs at the point of death. Jesus can save us all if we will repent and trust Him with all of our heart, He promises never to turn away anyone who comes to Him (John 1:12).

Back