Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: the death of Christianity

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally disagree about religion being a way of life. I believe in God but you damn sure don't see me going to church or reading the bible or even praying out loud or waiting until marriage (even if I could) to screw around (haha). the only time I've been in a real church (excluding funeral homes) was for NA and they followed the same religious crap as they say they don't preach. Damned hypocrites is what they are. Those things are not me, and I'll be damned if I'm going to do anything because a hypocritical, ignorant, conservative Christian tells me I should. I don't buy into the BS that goes along with Christianity that says I have to do this this and this. I say screw them if they dare to tell me what I should do. I want to know what happened to the "Salt of the Earth" kind of Christian. These days it seems to be the "holier than thou" kind of Christian who only practices what they preach on Sunday (and damn, isn't the sabbath supposed to be on saturday? Duh!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of belief & faith in science too, but it's different. The world's astrophysicists can only have faith in the work of of molecular biologist and vice versa.
    Again, incorrect word choice - that would be trust, not faith. Faith in something is unwavering belief in something without any evidence, while I know that scientists in other fields rely on evidence and trust that those who know how to evaluate such data are doing so (and see the sometimes rather vicious fights in other fields as evidence). I don't have *faith* because I know they can screw up and not do things properly (as evidenced by the continued existence of String Theory), but I know that the ceaseless petty squabbling of academia...erm, I mean 'the noble pursuit of truth' will fix things in the end.

There's a reason science is so particular about words for things, and it's because we've long since learned that conflating terms can cause major problems and obscure the real issue.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's faith in a process instead of faith in a selection of ancient writings. You and I "know" (have an unwavering belief) that science can get to the truth in the end and I say that's faith, pure and simple. Faith is a powerful thing and let's not allow the holy rollers to have a monopoly on the word.

Jim Scott's last post reminds me of something my father said when I was learning geology; his God isn't some magician waving a magic wand to create something one day and something else the next. I don't see God when I look at the amazing complexity of life, the universe and everything, but my father sees God in plate tectonics, evolution, etc. and is annoyed when people can't accept reality because of their dogma. But a lot of scientists also couldn't accept such changes. Widespread acceptance sometimes must wait until the nonbelievers die off, because many can't believe after a lifetime spent thinking differently.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we make them die sooner? I mean Jesus Christ! Where's a great flood when ya need one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the article until I got to the part about true Christians. I have hardly met a Christian who did not think they were a true Christian. Everyone who hasn't already given up is somewhere on the path to enlightenment, and those who stop to look down give the rest a bad name. Personally I need a lot of faith to make up for what I don't know. I need to test my hypotheses one by one because no one's been kind enough to let me in on the whole truth.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of belief & faith in science too, but it's different. The world's astrophysicists can only have faith in the work of of molecular biologist and vice versa.
    Again, incorrect word choice - that would be trust, not faith. Faith in something is unwavering belief in something without any evidence, while I know that scientists in other fields rely on evidence and trust that those who know how to evaluate such data are doing so (and see the sometimes rather vicious fights in other fields as evidence). I don't have *faith* because I know they can screw up and not do things properly (as evidenced by the continued existence of String Theory), but I know that the ceaseless petty squabbling of academia...erm, I mean 'the noble pursuit of truth' will fix things in the end.

There's a reason science is so particular about words for things, and it's because we've long since learned that conflating terms can cause major problems and obscure the real issue.

Mokele
    but in saying that I have faith in evolution, and I am a Darwinist then that Is my religious belief.

Religion is made so that there are a bunch of grey areas so that no one can completely disprove it.

I totally disagree about religion being a way of life. I believe in God but you damn sure don't see me going to church or reading the bible or even praying out loud or waiting until marriage (even if I could) to screw around (haha). the only time I've been in a real church (excluding funeral homes) was for NA and they followed the same religious crap as they say they don't preach. Damned hypocrites is what they are. Those things are not me, and I'll be damned if I'm going to do anything because a hypocritical, ignorant, conservative Christian tells me I should. I don't buy into the BS that goes along with Christianity that says I have to do this this and this. I say screw them if they dare to tell me what I should do. I want to know what happened to the "Salt of the Earth" kind of Christian. These days it seems to be the "holier than thou" kind of Christian who only practices what they preach on Sunday (and damn, isn't the sabbath supposed to be on saturday? Duh!)
    now why would you say that religion isn't a way of life?
    if you're a 'true christian' then you would live your life without sinning, and if you did then you would repent. You would also do all of the other things. Such as if you were a Strict Jew or Arab. The people who are less strict with there religion such as yourself have a different way that they interpret their religion, but they still live by it. Such as you have previously stated in this and other threads.
    I am an athiest or a darwinist, and i live my life by my religion, I believe in no heaven nor hell and I don't believe in sin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'true christian'
    I think no-one has the power or the business to tell anyone what constitutes a 'true christian', or a 'true' anything. Who are they to tell us what the "true" form or a religion is, because that inherently is a biased remark. Many people believe their version is the 'true' form but that doesn’t make it so

Thats not a just directed at you but a observation on terminology.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, if I have faith in my mother that doesn't mean that I worship her or she's my religion.
    As far as you saying If I were a "true christian" I would live my life without sinning, no, then I'd be Jesus. As far as repenting, this is where an individual interpretation of Christianity comes into play because what you think is a sin, I may or may not agree. Saying that i live my life by my religious beliefs implies, IMO, that I make all of my choices based on religion and that is not the case. That's what makes me secular and being secular so great. I can believe in God but it doesn't interfere with my every day life, my politics, etc. Look at... who's a famous person who's secular... John Stewart. Same deal.

As far as Darwinism being a religious belief... no. It's a scientific theory not a religious dogma. You don't worship Darwin. You don't believe that you will ascend into a higher plane based on your evolutional ideas. No, That's like saying quantum physics is a religious belief. You can be a Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. and still believe in Darwinism. It makes a hell of a lot more sense, to me at least, than God poofing all of the living beings into existence in one day. IMO, people thousands of years ago did not know about evolution, and they couldn't explain the diversity around them, so naturally, the easiest way to explain it for them would to say "God made it all in one day!" They couldn't explain how the sun, Earth, and moon were formed so their answer was "God made the Heavens and the earth in one day".

It's like when a child asks a parents why something is, and the parent doesn't know (even though there is a scientific explanation for it ) the parent simply says "It just does".

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast