What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A funny thing happened at the Depot...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was cashiering in garden when a young woman approached me and said she had a question about VFT's. I assumed she was going to ask if we had any, which we didn't. It turned out that she bought one from a nearby Lowes and wanted to know how to take care of it. So I gave her the CP speech about air circulation (take the dome off) and distilled water from the grocery store (no more tap water) and LFS and the over-feeding of the crickets and dormancy,...

Then I mentioned the Savage Garden as a resource and how I got into the hobby, killing all that touched my hands, previously. Then I wrote it all down and gave her Terraforums to Google. Who knows... maybe she'll check us out!

Great! I think one of the best things is that you wrote it all down. If people don't have it in writing, then they're likely to forget everything by the time they get home.

Isn't it nice when people ask you questions that you have good answers to? lol

Woohoo! Jimscott is recruiting for TF!

one time for Jimscott!!!!

Woot Woot!!! :woot:

Raise the roof!!!!

you rock!!! :rookwoot:

A big thumbs up!!! :bigthumpup:

and i guess a clap!!! :clap:

It doesn't appear that she is interested in the discussion forum, unfortunately. But maybe the life of one VFT will be spared the usual death.

I have some cards prepared to hand out just for this purpose. And regretfully I didn't have any to hand out this past weekend when I saw a group of young teenish kids hovering around the flytraps at a local greenhouse. At least one kid walked off with one in his hand.

The cards are business-card size and have a blurb about CPs and the forum address on it. I have handed them out in the past. I need to get some printed and put them back in my wallet so I have them handy for just such an occasion.

Good job educating the public Jim!

Back