User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOTS of pics from the mountains. 56K warning!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOTS of pics from the mountains. 56K warning!

I just felt like taking some pics today. Tomorrow I'll go out and take pics of giant club mosses.

Look and take note of what development does to wetlands. When my mother was my age, this as a big lake without any "boggy" or weedy areas. We've lost about 25% of the lake from sediment from development going downstream and depositing in the lake, and now you can't go swimming in it anymore. Even a third of the way from the shore to center, it's silt. One time a baby deer got spooked from our dog, ran into the lake, got caught in the silt and drown. I'm not kidding. All of these is so that some old people can live in modular homes and have a place to go in to in the winter from up north. Our front view used to be a lake, and it's turning more and more into a swamp every year.

Old dirt road that goes around the lake and is how my grandparents used to get to the cabin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day lily

Fish jumping and I caught the splash. Must have been a big fish.

4-inch crane-fly like thing that flew almost vertically, maybe at a 60 or 70 degree angle. It flew pretty slow, not like a dragonfly. I mean I know it's not a dragonfly but there were also lots of those screwing around (haha) so I just compared the speed.

LFS

Here are some of the Cypripedium orchids. Too late to catch the flowers this year. Out of ALL of them, only TWO got fertilized this year, and most of the seed will never even germinate and they were right beside each other. Unfortunately after taking these pics, I fell on them.

Haha, just kidding.

Here's one that grew through a leaf.

I think this is Smilax, and if my history and botany is correct then this is what they made a drink called Sarsaparilla out of. It was considered a tonic and good for you because it made you sweat, and I guess all of the toxins went out in the sweat.
    Today Smilax is a herbal supplement for body builders because it's believed to increase testosterone, but it hasn't been proven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some lichen

This is the creek/stream thing beside the house, and I want to plant some Darlingtonia there since Sphagnum also grows there. I hope it doesn't get too cold. I doubt it.

Wild Rhododendron

Sassafras. This plant used to be used in rootbeer and has the most wonderful smell. Ever year I go out and dig some up and take the rootbark and make the best tea in the world. Mmmm mmm sassafras with mint, lemon and lots of sugar. It's almost worth the liver damage the Safrole, which is a volatile oil in Sassafras, causes. Now they have Safrole-free artificial sassafras flavoring you can buy. That's for wimps. As a side note, Safrole is a regulated substance because it's a precurser to MDMA or Ecstasy. Look it up if you don't believe me The leaves of the Sassafras tree are dried, ground and added to some cajun cooking to this day. I think it's called "Saloop"

Wild mountain laurel

Neat fern frond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More lake shots

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Development. It kills bogs that are supposed to be there and creates bogs that aren't. Although I don't live on a lake, I live in a tourist hotspot as well. So all your tourists come from up North? All ours are from way down south (mainly Florida). Locals like to call them Floridians when they are nice, but when a particularly old lady from flat Florida sees a curve in Boone she 1) turns on a turnsignal for a turn that's not there and 2) drives miserably slowly in a 55 zone (like I'm talking 30 or 35). The locals call the bad drives from Florida, Floridiots. No insult intended for you Floridians. We like the business! LOL
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude that sucks about the loss of the bog but fun pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Sassafras. ...... As a side note, Safrole is a regulated substance because it's a precurser to MDMA or Ecstasy. Look it up if you don't believe me The leaves of the Sassafras tree are dried, ground and added to some cajun cooking to this day. I think it's called "Saloop"
    Great stuff! Maybe that's why those true Cajuns are so laid back, yet so excitable. I use the sassafras leaves when cooking all the time, now. I will have to check the levels of Safrole in it. The cajuns call the ground leaves file powder, it can be used in gumbo instead of a roux, or simply added to dishes for flavor....YUM! I could never find it in Seattle when I lived ther, but now I am in sassafras heaven!

Beautiful shots, beautiful lake and property. It is alays interetsing to note ecological eveolution. Pretty soon you may have a real sarracenia heaven there (too bad that won't be so good for property values )
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful photos. Really enjoyed seeing the landscape there. I see sassafrass all the time in the woods as well as the rhododendron and laurel. This year I was lucky enough to find cypripediums (lots!) in quite a few locations. I got a ton of cyp pics.

One of these days when I get some time I'm gonna post some woodland pics.

I LOVE being in the woods.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast